Any Freemasons in PA?

Josh

Ok, I'm going to make this short and simple. I live in PA, around Philadelphia. I turn 18 years of age in 10 days, and I have been reading forums, talking to people, etc. I want to know if there are any Freemasons on this site that would sponsor me. Or, actually a better question would be what is the best way to go about getting sponsored? I believe my uncle knows a few, but if that does not work I am going to need a backup option. I feel wrong calling the lodges and asking over a phone. I feel it is kind of unprofessional and desperate. Is it acceptable to use that method?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Dear Josh-
Your best bet would be to go to one or more of the lodges in the area where you grew up and tell the members there of your desire to become a Mason. It is quite possible that a former teacher, coach, scoutmaster, neighbor or even classmate may be a Mason and know you well enough to sign your petition.
I would have found that if I had petitioned the lodge closest to where I grew up. 1 teacher, 2 assistant scoutmasters, and an older schoolmate could have vouched for me!
I cannot speak for the specific rules of Pennsylvania, mainstream or PHA (both are F&AM), but, in my jurisdiction (AF&AM of NC), the principle signer of the petition must be a member of the lodge petitioned, and the other a Mason of our jurisdiction.
If there is no Mason immediately available to vouch for you, spend a little time at the lodge at open functions such as fundraisers or maybe an autumn workday, and before you know it, the members will be familiar enough with you to sign your petition. Remember this is NOT a sprint to get you in as quickly as possible; it is a marathon, the first steps to the journey that is the rest of your life.
"Make haste slowly."

Sincerely and Fraternally

Bill_F

The best way is to go to the Lodge closest to you and start there. Check their website and see when the next meeting is. then just go and talk to someone. Just make sure you go before the time the meeting starts. Or if the website calender is not up to date, it will at least have a number for you to call. You will only be met with friendliness, and they will probably be glad you approached them, as you will never be approached by them to join. A lot of Lodges have activities that are open to anyone, Mason or Non-Mason, which is a great way to meet Lodge members and start a conversation. Good Luck, and let us know how you make out.
IMHO.
It took me so long to write this out, Br. Franks answered in the meantime. LOL

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I'll say that I knew no one. I contacted the lodge secretary, went to 3-4 stated dinners and got to know the members that way. By the time I was ready to turn in my petition, I knew several members, and it was signed by two of the officers.

goomba

While I come from a long line of Masons, I didn't know anyone local nor did they no anyone in my family. I did like Bro. 2SONDAD I contacted someone from the lodge directly and petitioned. I would love to hear from a stranger wanting to become a Mason!

arcxjo

Goat Jockey
I cannot speak for the specific rules of Pennsylvania, mainstream or PHA (both are F&AM), but, in my jurisdiction (AF&AM of NC), the principle signer of the petition must be a member of the lodge petitioned, and the other a Mason of our jurisdiction.
This is indeed the rule in PA -- two PA Master Mason recommenders, one or both members of the lodge petitioned. I'm on the other side of the Commonwealth, but if you're really near to Philly, you could probably go to Grand Lodge some afternoon and inquire there (worth it, IMO, just for the tour), or else fill out the information form here (though that might take a few weeks to get back to someone who can help you).