EA Topic April 9, 2012

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Great to hear. Just relax, and remember, we all have been in your shoes. Nothing to worry about.

kblair210

Depending on the size of your lodge room, might I suggest using a microphone if it's available? When I gave my EA proficiency the only complaints were that some of the older brothers couldn't hear me. It was my first time speaking in lodge and personally I thought I was speaking up, but apparently not. I used one for next proficiency and it made a world of difference.

As mentioned above, take your time and speak clearly. Remember, there's nobody waiting for your to mess up. We all have the best hopes for you and we've all been there.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Depending on the size of your lodge room, might I suggest using a microphone if it's available? When I gave my EA proficiency the only complaints were that some of the older brothers couldn't hear me. It was my first time speaking in lodge and personally I thought I was speaking up, but apparently not. I used one for next proficiency and it made a world of difference.

As mentioned above, take your time and speak clearly. Remember, there's nobody waiting for your to mess up. We all have the best hopes for you and we've all been there.
The same thing happened to me when I was participating in my first EA degree as Junior Deacon. I was answering all the questions for the candidate to the Senior Deacon but I was only talking to him, not the lodge. The next degree, they could hear me just fine :eek:

goomba

Thank you all for your support. I have been working my fat butt off to get this learn this stuff. Leaving my mentors house as late as 2:00 am some mornings and giving up my lunch break at work. I don't think I will have an issue but the mind is a fickle thing.

goomba

On a side note to turning in my lesson. Tonight (04-03-2012) I visited a lodge about 45 minutes from my house. When I got there the JW is the person who took me to the side and examined me to ensure I was a Mason. He asked me what lodge I belonged to and if I was an EA. I told him yes and that on Monday I would be turning in my lesson. He said ok, give it to me. To get into the lodge I had to recite all questions and answers.

It was a comfortable chair.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
On a side note to turning in my lesson. Tonight (04-03-2012) I visited a lodge about 45 minutes from my house. When I got there the JW is the person who took me to the side and examined me to ensure I was a Mason. He asked me what lodge I belonged to and if I was an EA. I told him yes and that on Monday I would be turning in my lesson. He said ok, give it to me. To get into the lodge I had to recite all questions and answers.

It was a comfortable chair.
In NC we require EAs and FCs to be vouched for. They cannot be examined for admission. Any Master Mason who has stood in lodge with them may vouch for them, whether for their degree work or while visiting another lodge.

Different jurisdictions, different customs...but we are all Brothers!

S&F

jaya

Very interesting. You would not have been able to do that in NC. A FC or EA can not be examined here. They must have a MM from their lodge to vouch for them. I am glad that worked out for you.

kblair210

That is interesting.. while I was an EA/FC I was told if I wanted to visit another lodge (to view a degree or practice of my current or lower degree for example) I needed to be accompanied by a MM. Due to my limited available time I never got around to doing it, but it's interesting they let you in unaccompanied (unless you knew someone there of course).

In any case, sounds like you're enthusiastic so that's always good.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
In NC we require EAs and FCs to be vouched for. They cannot be examined for admission. Any Master Mason who has stood in lodge with them may vouch for them, whether for their degree work or while visiting another lodge.

Different jurisdictions, different customs...but we are all Brothers!

S&F
I ran into something like that here in MA. I was a FC and went to a lodge expecting to meet some of the brothers from my lodge there. It turned out that they were called away on a different thing and forgot I was coming. I was all alone. The only brother I knew there was the one who said, "He has to be examined before he can sit in lodge." I said I had sat in Lodge with him and he agreed to vouch for me.

FF Sparky

The same thing happened to me when I was participating in my first EA degree as Junior Deacon. I was answering all the questions for the candidate to the Senior Deacon but I was only talking to him, not the lodge. The next degree, they could hear me just fine :eek:
We have the JS and SS do the Q&A in the lodge for the candidates. In my opinion the JS gives the Answers while the SS askes the Questions, but thats my opinion. The the JD should be working on the MC lecture during his chair. I think this should be proper distribution of responsiblities.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I ran into something like that here in MA. I was a FC and went to a lodge expecting to meet some of the brothers from my lodge there. It turned out that they were called away on a different thing and forgot I was coming. I was all alone. The only brother I knew there was the one who said, "He has to be examined before he can sit in lodge." I said I had sat in Lodge with him and he agreed to vouch for me.
We have the JS and SS do the Q&A in the lodge for the candidates. In my opinion the JS gives the Answers while the SS askes the Questions, but thats my opinion. The the JD should be working on the MC lecture during his chair. I think this should be proper distribution of responsiblities.
I was just trying to say my voice was too low for the rest of the lodge to hear the answers.... I was quite loud the next time :)

jaya

Sorry for your loss. Your family comes first. Your lodge will be there for you whenever you give it back. It is not a race. I had my 3rd degree put off for over a month due to snow and then people having to make up work from it. It still got done.