Are parents too lazy?

tHanks

6 nicknames, guess which.
I am amazed at some of the parents I run across in my day to day actions, every now and then the topic of masons pops up in a conversation, some that I overhear and some that I am a part of. Many tend to just "wait for the schools" to teach our kids, to me I think its lazy parenting skills. The topic comes up for more than just masons too, its almost anything that a parent could educate their child/children about and then refuse to do so, what gives?

StoneH

I worry you are right. Parents often think that teaching their children is the school teachers' job. They have paid or will pay a pretty good amount of money for the children's education, why do they have to teach the kids themselves?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yeah, I think there are more parents not taking as active of a role in their children as they should. I think part of it is that both parents work trying to keep up with the Jones, and part is lazy or having kids as teenagers.

The justice system makes it easy I think. Your child is fat because you do not cook and go to McDonalds every weekday. Sue McDonalds. After all it is their fault because they put toys in the happy meals.

Do not monitor what you child watches on TV. Sue or threaten the TV Network.

Now my wife and I are lucky, I will admit. I work from home, and she stays at home. We both have had to sacrifice to do so. We could be living higher up on the hog if we did not choose to do so. But our child (soon to be children!) would suffer. We both work with her on her studying, and send her to a Montessori school, which is another sacrifice we made.

Eoin

If you don't take your own children in hand and help them get by in this life, no one will. I can't get over people thinking it's someone else's problem to teach their children how to act and how to be useful citizens in this society. I was working as an EMT with a pediatrician one day who was doing school physicals for the school year. He had one young 8 year old who was having a physical. He was talking to him and casually asked him what he wanted to do in life. The kid said "I wanna draw". The doc then said "Oh you want to be an artist! That's great". The kid said "No, I wanna draw welfare like my dad". That is totally disgusting. I have no problem with people getting benefits if they have a reason but to get them only because you are too lazy to work is another.

G

Gary

I agree with Eoin. It's the parents responsibility to teach their children. Especially life skills.

I'm a Paramedic/Firefighter. When I get pediatric patients, I often ask them what they want to be when they grow up. When I was a kid, I could have named off a dozen professions. Everything from an astronaut to a Paramedic.

Many kids these days when asked that question simply shrug their shoulders and say I dunno....

It's really sad.

McCloud

I don't know when it started or why, but yes, parents are lazy these days compared to when I was growing up. Everybody was making some good points, but what gets me is that while a lot of people are content with getting welfare, they'll also say that the good ole U.S.A. is the greatest nation on earth. Sorry, but not at this rate we won't be.

G

Gary

"ask not what your country can do for you...But what YOU can do for your country!"

Unfortunately, society has become dependent on others "doing" for them. Laziness is truly what it is...

Sammy

I agree that most parents do not teach their children anything and leave it to the school system. My parents and us have been teaching my son since he first started talking about thing. By reading to him, getting learning toys along with regular toys, and learning DVD's he is a very well rounded 4 year old. I am very involved with teaching him and he will be going to school next week for half days. I will defiantly stay very involved in his learning and help at the school when I can!

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I have to agree that many "parents" are lazy. I agree with all of your responses (btw, Jason, congrats on the soon to be!!) I am very active with both of my children, aside from helping with the homework, we have the learning toys, try to read to them every night (daughter has reading homework from school, so I get to listen to her read to me now) We limit the amount of TV they can watch, and what they are watching. We also spend a lot of time outside playing. I am also lucky enough, I have been my daughters tee-ball coach for spring and summer, now I'm coach for both my daughters soccer team, and my son's soccer team this fall. So I am at the soccer field 4 nights a week now.

Alex44

I don't know if it's all laziness. Most of the parents I know work very hard to try and provide for their children. I think what can happen though is that if we are not careful, we can lose focus on what is really important and that's the time we spend with our children. We are our children's first teachers and we need to keep that as a priority.