Bickering

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Bickering and arguing between Brothers really pushes my buttons . I have seen brothers get up and walk out during lodge meetings , I have seen them leave before lodge meetings and I am even guilty of arguing with brethren myself , twice .

Once , as a long time visitor in a sister lodge , I told an in coming Master who was very nervous that he would do fine in the East when some old timer made the smart-mouthed statement "What would you know !?!?" and a couple of other smart comments that I will not repeat . I have never met this man in my life , he had been away from lodge for years and I lit into him to where a fly would not land on him . We were in a nose to nose screaming match , members scattered or backed away surprised by the venom of my words that issued from me , of which I came out as victor as he backed down . But I was not going to be talked to like a dog . Afterwards , he was taken to the side by a couple of Past Masters and was told that if he made the lodge choose between me , a visitor , and him , a VERY long time member , that HE would be the one to lose on that outcome and would be asked to leave . We are now good friends .

Another was a brother of my lodge who thought he ran our lodge when I was Master . He and a few others were making plans and setting dates on their own for outings and fund raisers and when I told them that I was going to set dates for degree work I was informed that THEY had made other plans over beers in his garage . So I chewed his a** out for taking it upon himself to make decisions without the lodge's consent . He later apologized to me and I apologized to him for losing my temper .

I realize that we are human , but we should make EVERY effort to get along with one another and if we do have disagreements we work them out in the most agreeable manner .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We are human. What strikes me most from your stories is the endings. Both of these events ended with friendships deepened and understanding.

I'm very active. I take on a lot and get it done. One member who hasn't been seen in lodge for a long time showed up at a party and said I was a "brown noser". I just pretended I didn't hear it as he wasn't talking to me. I figure when he starts doing the work of a mason he can start criticizing those who are doing it. His leaving the line is part of the reason I have advanced as fast as I have so there may be a little envy going on. I just hope this story ends as well as yours have.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We are human. What strikes me most from your stories is the endings. Both of these events ended with friendships deepened and understanding.

I'm very active. I take on a lot and get it done. One member who hasn't been seen in lodge for a long time showed up at a party and said I was a "brown noser". I just pretended I didn't hear it as he wasn't talking to me. I figure when he starts doing the work of a mason he can start criticizing those who are doing it. His leaving the line is part of the reason I have advanced as fast as I have so there may be a little envy going on. I just hope this story ends as well as yours have.

I have been called a brown noser myself because I am good friends with a Past Grand Master and his family members who are also Masons . I just ignore it because they think they are being cute .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I have been called a brown noser myself because I am good friends with a Past Grand Master and his family members who are also Masons . I just ignore it because they think they are being cute .
It always seems to be those who do nothing are the ones who criticize those who do all they can. I've seen good ideas shot down and fail because some people like the sound of their own voice.

jaya

In any organization it seems about 10% of the members actually do the work. I tend to hang around with those that are more active in the lodge. One of those is our secretary who just became our DDGM. I just like being active and getting stuff done.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member

Emphasis in bold...

Absolutely brilliant. I would have said that directly to his face, and then walked away.