Black Strings: Black Holes With Extra Dimensions

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Meet the Bizarro universe version of a black hole: a black string.

These hypothetical objects might form if our universe has hidden extra dimensions beyond the three of space and one of time that we can see, scientists say. A new study of five-dimensional black strings offers a glimpse into how these strange objects might evolve over time – if indeed they exist at all.

Picture this

While it's difficult to visualize a five-dimensional object in our three-dimensional space, black strings would be cylindrical, researchers said. Think of a three-dimensional spherical black hole that's copied and stacked out in one direction to create an oblong shape.

more Black Strings: Black Holes With Extra Dimensions | LiveScience

intent

Stange

Wow that is some strange stuff that it is even difficult to get my mind wrapped around it. I have always loved the idea of other dimensions but I would like to see what science can make of them.

McKitch

I wonder

I wonder what would happen if you found one of these black strings and tied it to your waist. I have the feeling that falling in to another dimension through an anomaly in a black hole would be an interesting experience.

emarsh

Now that was fun. My understanding is that you would become stringified before traveling to any other dimension/place.

McKitch

Hehe

Well I have never traveled to another dimension but I have seen it on TV. Looks like it might be fun. What does getting stringified mean? Never heard that term before.

emarsh

Well I have never traveled to another dimension but I have seen it on TV. Looks like it might be fun. What does getting stringified mean? Never heard that term before.
I think that term came from Neil DeGrasse Tyson in his "Death By Black Hole", though it might have been Phil Plait who created it. Essentially as you approach a black hole the tidal effects break you in half then break the halves in half and so on and so forth until there's just a string of subatomic particles left.

Robby

Isn't that what they portray on Stargate SG-1? I used to watch it when it first came out and if I remember correctly they did the special effects to look like you were being strung out and down a tunnel. Death by black hole doesn't sound like anything I'd like to try.

Dilly

According to super string theory there are potentially 12 dimensions, 11 dimensions including the time dimension which makes up the 12th. Along these dimensions they theorize that there are parallel dimensions. This theory is also called M Theory and has been mathematically proven. Einstein also had a similar theory. It is the Einstein-Rosen Bridge theory. Pretty interesting stuff. The show sliders was based on this theory.