Degree?

mark

I was wondering, as I have traveled to other lodges, is anyone interested in have an established degree team?

I thought I would throw this out to see what others think. I know it would take some work.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
in Pennsylvania, there are a few lodges near me that have taken that approach, a few well informed brethren perform the degrees within their lodge, and if asked, in other lodges. I also know that the Pennsylvania State Police have established a degree team for masonic ritual. They (if requested) will perform the degrees for any other state trooper joining the fraternity. I thought is was kinda neat to see that, I also realized that several of my personal acquaintances (who are troopers) are mason's as well.
The only downfall to a degree team that I can fathom is that they sometimes become too tight-knit in that it is difficult for newcomers to join the ranks. The best way to learn the degrees (other than receiving them) is to give them.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Our own Lodges do their own EA and FC degree's . The MM degree being such a large production which needs a lot of bodies , is put on by the Past Masters club degree team when asked . I am looking into restarting up the Fellowcraft club my lodge had going in the 50's and 60's . There are very few in my district who can put on the Staircase Lecture(Middle Chamber) and the Letter G lecture from memory . In my lodge , I do all the parts of the FC degree work myself , which makes for a long morning . There is only 3 of us in my area that can put on the Middle Chamber Lecture from memory . That's why I'm trying to get a FC team together , so the candidates will have the work done right .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
That is very interesting Ashlar, and I'm glad you can perform the fellowcraft degree. There are currently 5 of us in my lodge (all past masters) who can give any of the 3 degrees from memory, only 5 of us can complete the third degree, there are 7 right now that can perform the fellowcraft, and about 12 that can do the entered apprentice. All of ours is from memory as well, I have never seen the lecture broken up between people though. The only other thing that we do, is when the charge of the degree is done, it may be read, or have someone else confer that part.
It's very interesting to hear about differences in the degrees.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sadly , I'm our only ritualist in my lodge . I do almost all the lectures in the EA and , like I stated above , all the FC degree lectures .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
There are several lecturers (is that even a word?) that travel around near our Lodge. We do have some interest lately of two of the Brothers to learn the lectures so they can give them.

The roles are usually filled by members of our Lodge, usually the same group as they have the most time to commit to it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It's always great to get a new MM in who is willing to learn some of the lectures . We have Raised quit a few who hasn't taken the time to do that yet . Maybe they will take the time later and take some of the heat off me . Even though I love degree work and giving the lectures .

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
With apx, 12 active members in my lodge, the degree work is left for few to do, unless it'd the MM degree. Then there are Brothers from neighboring lodges that help.

cemab4y

There are "specialty" degree teams. When I lived in Columbus OH (1990), there was a whole degree team, composed solely of Law Enforcement officers. When a law enforcement person took the symbolic degrees, the team would perform the degree work. Law enforcement masons from all over Ohio would drive in and observe.

I assembled a degree team in Central Ohio, of men who were Amateur Radio Operators. Whenever a ham operator, took the degrees, we would perform the degree work. We had a great deal of fun with our "Hiram-Hams".

I have heard of other specialty degree teams around the USA.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
With apx, 12 active members in my lodge, the degree work is left for few to do, unless it'd the MM degree. Then there are Brothers from neighboring lodges that help.

RustyBones , glad to see you back ! That's the way our lodge is , we have about 13 to 15 members who come to every lodge meeting and function without fail .

sarah

Lodges from different areas can also come together and help each other in spreading masonary more and more further

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
Sorry I was away for so long..... Moderator??? Congrats Ashlar!!! The rural nature of our lodge makes it difficult sometimes. Plus, the lats petitioner to our lodge was myself. We just raised one, but he had been an EA about 20 years ago...

Abot

Sorry I was away for so long..... Moderator??? Congrats Ashlar!!! The rural nature of our lodge makes it difficult sometimes. Plus, the lats petitioner to our lodge was myself. We just raised one, but he had been an EA about 20 years ago...
I didnt understand it?:confused:

Rolez

Do lodges from different states allo their members to mingle with each other? or visit each others lodges?

RoughAshlar

Do lodges from different states allo their members to mingle with each other? or visit each others lodges?
Some lodges more than others. We have a few lodges that we have arranged regular visits, a couple of which are in other countries. But in the end its up to each member to decide weather they wish to visit other lodges or not.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
As RoughAshlar stated, it is up to the individual to decide which and how often they attend or visit another lodge. Once you are a master mason, it is your perogative to visit any lodge you wish to visit. You may attend any blue lodge in the entire world. That is one of the wonderful things about freemasonry, regardless of where you were raised, you may visit any lodge in the world and meet on the level with any other mason.

RoughAshlar

As RoughAshlar stated, it is up to the individual to decide which and how often they attend or visit another lodge. Once you are a master mason, it is your perogative to visit any lodge you wish to visit. You may attend any blue lodge in the entire world. That is one of the wonderful things about freemasonry, regardless of where you were raised, you may visit any lodge in the world and meet on the level with any other mason.
I would like to add to this. Before visiting any lodge you may wish to check with your grand lodge. It would be nice to be able to visit any lodge, however there are lodges which your grand lodge will hold as irregular or clandistine lodges which are not in regularity with the UGLE.

rescue48

Firedawg
I received my first EA lecture last night. The brother that gave it didn't miss a beat. He was remarkable to watch, and I enjoyed it immensely.