Dresscode again

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
On the heels of the latest dress code thread I have an observation I would like to make .....

As many long time members know , at one time I was anti-dress code , and I had my say concerning this topic . I have since changed my tune after sitting back and looking over the various lodges in my area .

In my second lodge , there was a time that all wore suits and tuxes to lodge , I like to go through all the old officers pictures from the early 1900's right up into the early 70's and these men were dressed to the nines , then they just got lazy . And when they got lazy , they started getting a little too loose in the lodge . Officers and members did not take it as serious . Attending lodge became "what the heck , it's something to do !" .

A member walked up to me after my second meeting this year and commented on the dress code and the change in my officers and what goes on on the sidelines . He stated that in just two meetings he can see a difference , the officers take it more serious and all the clowning around has ceased . I do not mind having a good time in lodge , if something is funny then I am going to laugh . But , an entire meeting should not be happy hour at the local watering hole .

If you are going to take the time to dress the part , you are going to act the part . And it shows in my officers . It seems that they are taking more pride in their duties , visitors and sideline members are impressed . I even have a couple of Past Masters who either wear suits or bring one with them in case I need them to fill in a chair because I told all my officers that if you show up in street clothes , I will replace you with a member on the sidelines in a suit . Heck , even some of the sideliners are starting to wear suits to lodge .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'm glad to hear this Ashlar. It warms my cockles!
I KNEW it would lol .

And you are correct , dressing nice does not have to be just for lodge . I hate wearing blue jeans anymore , I would much rather be in slacks and my favorite dress shoes with a nice polo shirt or dress shirt when I go out . When the wife and I go out , I will get dressed first and when she sees me she says "Great ! Now I have to go change !!!"

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Because of my DDGM duties and my lodge I am constantly leaving the house in a suit . My neighbor has taken to calling me Rockefeller LOL .

dajofa

In our Lodge, business suits are the rule during regular communications. Very seldom have I ve seen less then that. If you have a part in a Ritual tuxes are the norm.

We should remain a brotherhood of class. Clothing does not make the man, but the man makes the clothing. We should always opt to appear, to all, to be upright men and Masons!

Just an opinion!
Dave

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have to purchase a tux for the AMD . I excepted the invite because of the degrees such as Royal Ark Mariner , Order of the Secret Monitor etc; etc;

I am on board now with a dress code but a tux in lodge , even for the degrees , is where I would draw the line . Dark suits are more than enough , IMO . Not that I will judge others who do wear tuxes as they do look smart , but I am not going to ask my members to go out and purchase tuxedos .

That is why I made the comment in the other thread , I know how far I can go without crossing the line , and asking my officers to purchase tuxes would be crossing the line .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We had some Brothers from a near by Lodge help us out with a MM degree. One of them came in a tux, it was cool and impressed the new MM. (Enough to make me think about a tux for the next one (I own one so it wouldn't be difficult).

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I own two suits and two tuxes. All officers wear tuxes in Massachusetts when performing their duties and when on the DDGM's suite. I wear suits when I'm visiting a lodge and don't expect to be filling in.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Actually , this thread is really not about what your (Grand) lodge requires it's members & officers to wear , but rather if one dresses the part , they will act the part .

dajofa

I agree with you Ash.

As I said above, we should remain a botherhood of class. Suits and Tux's may not be required but why not! We hold ourselves to a high moral and social value via our obligations so why not dress and act the part before all men?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Classy .

Another reason I instituted a dress code is , when candidates are Initiated , they may see that we take the time to dress the part and look good it just may light a fire under them to put forth the effort to study and progress through the degrees .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I was very surprised and delighted when I discovered that tuxedos are actually less expensive than suits in my local men's store. That certainly makes wearing a tux less painful.

Our building is used by the town for a variety of functions. One of them is "Winterfest" that kicks off with a microbrew tasting in the dining hall. Our meeting last year was on the same night as the beer tasting. As a courtesy, we were invited to join in the fun after our meeting. I got off the elevator in a full tux complete with black tie and a cummerbund. I can confirm the great words of ZZ Top. The women go crazy for a sharp dressed man :D

jaya

If you are looking for a Tuxedo try Jos. A Bank. You might want to talk to the manager and see if they offer a discount. Some stores actually do. Their Tuxedos do go on sale regularlly anyway and can be had for $200 or so. Not a bad buy at all. Although, I did have to have the flaps on the coat pockets removed.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
If you are looking for a Tuxedo try Jos. A Bank. You might want to talk to the manager and see if they offer a discount. Some stores actually do. Their Tuxedos do go on sale regularlly anyway and can be had for $200 or so. Not a bad buy at all. Although, I did have to have the flaps on the coat pockets removed.
There is a discount chain around here called K&G Fashion Superstore. They offer 20% off for Masons, just show your dues card at checkout. I bought both my tuxes there. The first one was marked $99 so with the discount, I got it for $80. The second one was marked $119- but rang up as $99 (they hadn't raised the price at the register yet) so I got that one for $80, too. I know people who pay more for blue jeans :)

jaya

Understand that most "cheap" tuxedos are some sort of blend or polyester. At least the onse at Jos. A Bank are 100% wool. IMO wool looks and feels better.

Winter

I've been here before
There is a great feeling to a well made high end tux. I love mine. But they are cost prohibitive. And there is nothing wrong with the tux I got at Sears for $90 either! I still wear it on occasion. That came with everything except the shoes. Including cuff links.

jaya

Nothing wrong with them. It is personal preferance. I do not like the feel of polyester in most clothes. That said, Jos A Bank is not what I would consider high end. Their signature gold suits are the only ones that are even half-canvas.

I tend to buy from Jos A Bank if I can when they have a major sale. I bought my tuxedo with another suit and a sport coat. I also got 2 shirts and 2 ties with them. It was all for $600 so was a great deal. It came to $2369 retail for that. I had saved up gift cards that I had been given over the year and only put out about $100 of my own money. You can find decent clothes there but NEVER pay retail if you can wait until a sale. They sometimes have a buy 1 get 2 free on everything in the store. Right now I am collecting gift cards again in case someone wants to send me one.