Drinking and Lodges

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Here in the United States the Lodges are dry, meaning no alcohol is permitted. Many other Countries allow drinking however. I've also noticed that many younger members wish drinking was allowed in the lodge. What is your feelings on this?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
of course this is only my opinion, but I feel that the drinking should be kept out of the Masonic functions. I am young enough to understand their point of view with allowing drinking, however, this was abolished during prohibition and was replaced with juice at "Table Lodge". As we all know, we are to be dutiful citizens, and follow the laws of our country. There are other bodies which allow alcoholic beverages to be sold and consumed on their property, (masonic bodies included) however it was taken out of the "Blue Lodge" functions and never brought back. Again, in my opinion, if the younger crowd wishes for alcohol to be a factor in joining the fraternity, most likely you will not find them attending or advancing in their work. I have experienced this first hand with our lodge, those who join both the "Blue Lodge" and other fraternal organizations, ie (B.P.O.E.,MOOSE,GROTTO,TALL CEDARS) allow drinking, you see those individuals at the organizations "bar" but not in the meetings. I am in favor of keeping the alcohol out, just because I wouldn't want to pad the number of members (which would then add to the amount given to Grand Lodge) for those who don't attend.

Shawn T. Zell PM #232

Astrivian

Bro. Samuel
Sometimes i think it would be nice to have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner at Lodge. We were just talking about this at our last meeting actually. The secretary mentioned the Lodge could be held financially liable for any damages if one of our brothers was in an accident on the way home. As such, he didn't think allowing any drinking was a good idea.

I am on the fence about this one. I can see how, as WB Shawn mentions, the Lodge could become a bar scene with brothers comming mostly for the drinks. And, the fear of lawsuits in the U.S. is everpresent. Still, sometimes i think it would be nice

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My answer is simply , No . I don't want it in my lodge , and I don't see the need to have alcohol to have fellowship with my brothers .

Masonic Oak

I concur with my brother above. I was raised old fashioned, in a very old and respected lodge in my community.

I see absolutely no reason why there would be any need for alcohol.

My vote is NO, and will forever stay as such.

cemab4y

Refreshments at lodge

The position of the Junior Warden is to supervise the Craft, and ensure that none perverts the refreshment into intemperance or excess.

In the USA, most lodges are bone dry. If you research the history of masonry in the USA, this was not always the case. When Brother George Washington's lodge broke for refreshment, they passed the jug around. Alcohol has been in our lodges since the first organization of the Grand Lodge in London in 1717.

Most European lodges have alcohol, and a bar set up right there in the building. In Paris, France, they have a full bar with beer, wine, and liquor right there at the National Grand Lodge of France.

Alcohol was removed from our lodges during prohibition, which was ended in 1933, with the 22d amendment. In the USA, nearly all lodges remained dry.

I would love for Freemasonry, to return to our roots, when we served alcohol at our lodge meetings. The lodge hall was the center of activity in the community, and men spent their leisure time, there in conversation, and good fellowship.

There are many ideas, for moving forward into the future, while keeping an anchor on our past.

Please see:

knights of the north

and open "Laudable Pursuit"

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I've read Laudable Pursuit quit a few times and I also know the history of Freemasonry . I just do not see the reason why alcohol is needed to fellowship and have meaningful conversations.

mndane

Booze or not ?

I grow up i Denmark where beer or wine is often served with meals, and yes
there are times I wish I could have a glass of wine with my meal. However I understand that some people who did not grow up this way would have a problem understanding the difference between one glass of wine, and party time at the lodge. That is to bad, but I can wait to I get home before I have a glass of wine.

Last month I was at a wild game dinner at KOC and I enjoyed a glass of beer with an excellent meal

Allan Jensen

RoughAshlar

Alcohol is certainly not necessary but surely men of temperance and wisdom, such as those of us devoted to the craft can be expected to exercise restraint and not excess.

My lodge is one of many that share the same building. On the lower floor are our lodge rooms and library, aswell as the corporate office that operates the building. On the upper floor is our kitchen, dinner room, various smaller rooms used for comity gatherings and informal get togethers, and, ofcourse our bar.

Its not uncommon for members to take a drink or two after our meetings or during a festive board. In my many years I have not once seen a brother drink to excess, nor have I ever heard of any problems from the lodges that share our facilities.

JamesCanby

Maryland allows the serving of beer

In Maryland Lodges, beer may be served during refreshment. In or Lodge, where the dinner comes after the closing of the Lodge, we make beer available. One or two of the brethren will have a glass of beer with their meal, most have soft drinks or coffee.

I see nothing wrong with allowing the brethren to have a refreshing adult beverage with their meal and, as men of good character who do not indulge in any habits to excess, we are confident that the practice of allowing beer during refreshment causes no problems.

Fraternally,

Bro. James Canby Landerkin

OwenKL

I'm a non-drinker myself, but I'd like to see alcohol available at festive boards. US Lodges didn't ban alcohol with Prohibition. They did so with the Temperance movement which preceeded it, some as early as the late 1800s. If I recall correctly, UGLE and other GLs nearly withdrew recognition from the first few who went dry, so it was not a popular decision everywhere! But there were reasons for it, as you can see from this 1919 poster:View attachment 1919 Prohibition poster.jpg (click on the thumbnail to see it full size).

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
From the looks of those ladies , I'd drink just to keep from not having to kiss them . I don't think there is enough alchohol to make them pretty !

I like the "dry" rule, I also like the fact the our lodge doesn't allow smoking either. It's amazing the damage smoke had done to all the historic items in the lodge. The Paris lodge was organized in 1824 and has been in it's present building since 1924, so you can imagine the amount of smoke accumulated over the years. I'm not against drinking or smoking, I get my fill at the American Legion and the V.F.W.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I like the "dry" rule, I also like the fact the our lodge doesn't allow smoking either. It's amazing the damage smoke had done to all the historic items in the lodge. The Paris lodge was organized in 1824 and has been in it's present building since 1924, so you can imagine the amount of smoke accumulated over the years. I'm not against drinking or smoking, I get my fill at the American Legion and the V.F.W.
I have to agree with you on the drinking Matt . There was another thread on here about this subject , but I'll reiterate what I stated in my post there . I see of know reason why there's a need for alchohol to fellowship with my brethren and have meaningful conversations . They want to drink then they can go home , to a bar or restaurant .

Chris From California

Proud Master Mason
I just do not see the need to drink at the lodge. Many brothers can drink without an issue however there are some that can get a little carried away. It only takes one brother to make us look bad. One incident that will get carried on forever.

I think its a good idea some people will just join to drink. Some might drink to much might pass out during meetings. If it was allowed again I have problem with that ether I don't drink that much. So I would no problem dirking at the lodge. I could go ether way on this one.

Winter

I've been here before
I think its a good idea some people will just join to drink. Some might drink to much might pass out during meetings. If it was allowed again I have problem with that ether I don't drink that much. So I would no problem dirking at the lodge. I could go ether way on this one.
First, this issue is far more complex than you understand and your scenario is unlikely because of a Mason's Obligation. Second, please do not go responding to 4 year old threads and raising them from the dead. If a very old thread like this one has something you find interesting, start a new one with a question.