Etiquette

Green-Moo

There's someone I'm really interested in asking if they're a Mason. No pressing reason other than curiosity and a desire to know more about them. Would it be bad form just to come out and ask? I guess I'm checking that, if he were a Mason, a direct question like that wouldn't offend?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
That question should never offend a mason. Masons are proud of their membership, and most are more than willing to talk about it. I am sure that by asking the question to him, if he is a mason, he may ask you in response why you are curious. I would assume that regardless of the reasoning, he should respond to you in an open manner and give you an honest answer. Most Masons that I know, do not go around advertising the fact they are a mason, however, when asked about it, would go out of their way to answer any questions they are able to.
That whole thing about spreading the word of masonry. Those who are willing to be open minded and without preconceived notions as to what the fraternity is about.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Outstanding answer BG_TRBL . I love reading your posts . I agree , I'll tell anyone who asks me , I'm proud I am a Freemason .

cemab4y

No problem

In the USA there is no problem in asking a man if he is a Mason. We wear rings, belt buckles, baseball caps, etc. I never leave the house, without at least one piece of 'bling' !! I personally sponsored the legislation, to get masonic vehicle license plates in Kentucky.

In some countries, like France, masonry is very discreet, and most masons are encouraged to keep their masonic membership very low-profile. When I lived in Paris (1986-1987), I took the brothers advice, and kept my bling at home.

In Saudi Arabia, masonry is against the law. I put all my masonic items away, and did not acknowledge membership to anyone. If asked if I was a mason, I declined to answer, or pretended that I did not know what they were talking about.

Masonry is now legal in Russia, I attended a lodge in Moscow in 2006, which was an amazing experience. Some of the men who were in lodge with me, risked prison, to keep the Craft alive during the communist times.

I now live in Iraq. Masonry operates openly there, the last lodge was shut down in 1958, when the British military lodges departed. Masonry was totally illegal under the Saddam Hussein government. I am honored to have a part in restoring Masonry to a great country.

Green-Moo

Cemab4y, again you've taught me something that I didn't know. I hadn't realised that Masonry was illegal anywhere, though I suppose it is logical enough that some regimes will feel threatened by it. Tell me, is the reason given in Saudi Arabia religion?

ninikins

Masonry is discreet in Europe. Nothing to do with it being legal or illegal, people just like to keep it to themselves yet are ready to talk to those interested.

Green-Moo

In some countries, like France, masonry is very discreet, and most masons are encouraged to keep their masonic membership very low-profile. When I lived in Paris (1986-1987), I took the brothers advice, and kept my bling at home.

Just as a point of interest, I've got two French guests staying at the moment & I've been really genuinely surprised about how little they know about Free Masonry.

I was sure I'd seen something about FreeMasonry in France mentioned recently, so had to do a quick search to remind myself. Obviously the discretion of the French Free Masons means that the general public there are terribly badly informed.

cemab4y

Masonry in foreign countries

Many dictatorships and authoritarian countries, forbid people from forming organizations and meeting in groups. Saudi Arabia does not have a specific law against Masonry, but the country does forbid organizations and secret meetings. In order to avoid any conflict with the government, Masons in Saudi meet in private homes, and do not openly display masonic jewelry.

The Nazis shut down Masonry in Germany, and in the countries they occupied during World War 2. Masonry was illegal in Spain, during the Franco dictatorship. Strangely, Masonry is NOT illegal in Cuba, the Castro communist government had no problem with Masonry, and the lodges are operating there to this day.

You can learn more about masonry in foreign countries at

Anti-Masonry: Points of View

chocoguy

A real mason shouldn't be offended if someone ask them i they are amason. They should be proud of it instead. Why are they offended?