Finding the Right Words

TrowelTalk

All Freemasons have experience getting up in front of groups large and small and waxing poetic, but what can one say to a Brother, a Friend, when they are stricken with terrible tragedy, i.e., a death in their immediate family, a diagnosis of terminal cancer, a catastrophic loss of financial security?

I'm as comfortable as a pastor in church when I speak in Lodge or even in my business world, but when it comes to these matters I get all choked up and words fail me.

I'm sure its not easy for anyone, but how can we maximize our comforting words to others when tragedy strikes?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have performed several funerals this year, each was different, each meaningful to the principals.

When I first hear/see/read of tragedy I reach back into my past pain of lost, dwell there momentarily and then try to relate to the grieving person(s), and then say as little as possible.

2 years ago my Dad passed, it was a blessing for him as he had been sad for a decade or more, the military funeral was moving and the volunteers amazing.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I have discovered that sometimes it is the little things you do or say that mean the most to the people involved. A simple "I'm sorry....." or a meaningful shaking of their hand can help in ways you can't imagine. Letting them knowing you care is a good thing.