Hello

Hi, I'am not a mason but, is very open to it and have been invited by a former mason who is my friend. Also, I would like to know more about masonry before I go to the lodge ,so can someone please inform me ? :)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Hi, I'am not a mason but, is very open to it and have been invited by a former mason who is my friend. Also, I would like to know more about masonry before I go to the lodge ,so can someone please inform me ? :)
"invited?"
That is something not allowed in most jurisdictions, including mine, AF&AM of North Carolina. The closest we can come to that is, "Have you ever considered becoming a Freemason?" -Which is the title of a folder produced by my Grand Lodge.

"former mason?"
If your friend has invited you to an organization he is no longer a part of, what does that mean?

There are many organizations around that claim to be Masons, but are not recognized by the vast majority of masonic grand lodges. Please investigate that his [former] lodge is legitimate.

Masonry is an organization serious about giving men the tools to improve themselves. We are not an club reforming bad men. If you can live by the standards and tenets it teaches, you will be a good man indeed.

Good luck, my friend.

jaya

Welcome. As Brother Bob said above, we do not recruit. To join us, you must ask. I also question the "former" mason statement. If they are former, why did they leave?

What would you like to know? Ask any question you want and we will do our best to answer you.

I meant he is currently a freemason ,but you guys do have a point how do I know if its legit... Also maybe I took it the wrong way but he did ask me if I would ever consider in being a mason ,but I didnt answer to something I knew nothing about. Every since then I've been thinking about joining it's sounds like something I would gladly be apart of.

goomba

Grand Lodge of Alabama

Here are links to other states Grand Lodges listed on the Grand Lodge of Alabama's website. This might be helpful to determine if the lodge you are interested in is a regular lodge.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I meant he is currently a freemason ,but you guys do have a point how do I know if its legit... Also maybe I took it the wrong way but he did ask me if I would ever consider in being a mason ,but I didnt answer to something I knew nothing about. Every since then I've been thinking about joining it's sounds like something I would gladly be apart of.
You can google "grand lodge of [state abbreviation]" or "Prince Hall grand lodge of [state abbreviation]" to find the regular (recognized) grand lodges. There are still a few states that do not recognize the Prince Hall Affiliate (PHA) grand lodges, though, all in the old south.

I have been told that all PHA lodges will have "F&AM" (Free and Accepted Masons) in their name, but "mainstream" grand lodges vary: F&AM, AF&AM (Ancient Free and Accepted Masons), South Carolina terms itself AFM (Ancient Free Masons), and FAAM (Free And Accepted Masons) in Massachusetts(?).
There is also PHO (Prince Hall Origin) which is not recognized by the mainstream or PHA grand lodges.

If you have a question about a lodge, you can ask here...

S&F

jaya

FAAM is the Grand Lodge of Washington, DC.

Here is a good list of what is considered regular here in the US. US GLs