History of Freemasonry

edwmax

On the front page of this forum is an article entitled ‘History of Freemasonry’ by Jason(1), dated Dec. 23rd, 2011. The opening paragraph makes a reference to the building of King Solomon’s Temple by Freemasons as a ‘myth’. It further alluded to the building of the pyramids by Freemasons as also being a myth. In support of these claims to be a myth, it was stated the earliest known record of Freemasonry is the Regius Poem, dated about 1390 AD.

Jason said:
There are many tales about the history of Freemasonry and how it got started. A popular myth about the group is that it can trace its origins back to the days of King Solomon. According to the tale, the Freemasons helped Solomon build his famous temple in Jerusalem. Another myth, though this one is not quite so well-known, is that the pyramids in Egypt were built by Freemasons. While myths and legends make great twists in movies and books, they should not to be taken as facts. It is true that the Freemasons have been around for a very long time; however, nobody really knows just how long because there are no written records that have been discovered which say for sure. The earliest record found mentioning the Freemasons was the Regius Poem, in 1390. Another story of the origins of Freemasonry is that it came from the stonemason’s guild that was around during the Middle Ages. This is by far the most widely accepted and version of how Freemasonry came about. ….
(1)

Evidence to dispel these ‘myths’ has been known for a little more than 100 years. So let’s begin with the Regius Poem or the Halliwell Manuscript, as it is also known. The Regius Poem is recognized as being the oldest known Masonic written ‘manuscript’. It is also recognized as being a copy of older lost manuscripts, which certainly indicates Freemasonry is much older. The Regius Poem gives a history of ‘Free Masons’ or Masons dating back to the time of Noah.

However, the Regius Poem is not the oldest known Masonic record of ‘Stone Masons’ or ‘Masons’. The first example(2) is a mosaic tabletop, or altar top, found in the center of a rectangular room in the ruins of Pompeii in 1896. The tabletop had a square, a plumb line suspended from
the point of the square, deaths head, and other Masonic emblems. [ref: The Builder –January 1915; Ancient Evidences, by G. W. Baird] Pompeii was buried by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in the year of 79 AD and the apparent Lodge room at the same time.

In addition there were also found, in the same room, other articles with symbolic Masonic use: a little urn, which is believed to be the pot of manna, a setting maul, a trowel, a spade, a small chest, thought to be an imitation of the ark of the covenant, and small staff. The room is confirmed to be a Lodge by the inscription over the door of the house, which is DIOGENE SEN, which means ‘Dioceses the Mason’. The Alter top and the inscription above the door clearly indicates ancient speculative elements of Masonry.

The Roman Pompeii Lodge room cited above predates the Regius Poem by 1300 years. Another even older example is found in Central Park, New York City.

It is the obelisk known as Cleopatra's needle. A pair of obelisk was originally constructed by the order of Thumose III about 1450 B.C. at the Temple of Amen in the city of Heliopolis (On). This pair of obelisk was moved by Romans to the Caesareum at Alexandria, Egypt about 12 B.C. Additional inscriptions were added to the original inscriptions by Ramesses II about 200 years after being erected by Thumose III.

It is important to note here that Ramesses II was the adopted father of Moses, the lawmaker of the Hebrews, and Moses attended the University at Heliopolis. The inscribed name of the two cities Rameses and Pitom are the cities where the Hebrews were forced to manual labor. Thus these two obelisks are witness to the Biblical account of the Hebrew captivity and forced labor in Egypt.

In 1877 to 1881 the Central Park obelisk was removed from Alexandria, Egypt by Lieutenant-Commander H. H. Gorringe. During the dismantling of the obelisk in the base pedestal a historical discovery of Masonic artifacts and emblems, which confirms claims of ancient Egyptian origins of Masonry. Found in the base was a polished square craved in the upper part of a stone block; two blocks of stone, one smoothed finished and the other rough-hewed; a trowel cemented to the top of a stone; and a plummet. A complete description of the artifacts and their arrangement is too detailed to include here. However, their meaning and symbolism is clear.

Cleopatra's Needle as it stood at Alexandria Egypt in 1880
Cleopatra's Needle, Central Park, New York

The obelisk ‘Cleopatra's Needle’(2, 3) gives a clear connection of ancient Egyptians, and Hebrew forced labor & captivity (about 1600 B.C. to 1200 B.C.) during the time of the building of the pyramids. And, predates the building of King Solomon’s Temple (967 to 960 B.C.) by approximately 500 years.

Now to the stated premises that ‘Freemasons’ helped King Solomon build his Temple as being a myth. The first problem here is the term ‘freemason’. This is a more modern English term dating its first use to the early 14th century which was used to indicate a specialized stone mason skilled at making statuaries and bias relief stone cravings. So to eliminate linguistic terminology problem, it is assumed the ‘freemason’ is a simple reference to stone masons or masons.

From the Biblical description of King Solomon’s Temple it is apparent stone masons did work on and in the Temple, some of these craftsmen being highly skilled operative masons. It has already been shown above Masonry predates the building of the Temple by more than 500 years. Therefore, the apprentice system to a Master for education & training of novice masons certainly existed, thus, the described division of the work force of laborers, overseers, and masters building the Temple.

It is known that parts of our ‘present day’ Hiramic Legend did not happen. However, this does not indicated speculative elements of modern day Freemasonry did not exist during King Solomon’s time and building of the Temple. Proof of this can be found within the Great Book upon our Holy Alters. Approximately 100 years after the completion of the Temple during the rein of Ahab, King of Israel (874-853 B.C.), in Kings 1, Chapter 20 verses 31–345 is related the following:

30 …. And Benhadad fled, and came into the city, into an inner chamber.
31 And his servants said unto him, Behold now, we have heard that the kings of the house of Israel are merciful kings: let us, I pray thee, put sackcloth on our loins, and ropes upon our heads, and go out to the king of Israel: peradventure he will save thy life.
32 So they girded sackcloth on their loins, and put ropes on their heads, and came to the king of Israel, and said, Thy servant Benhadad saith, I pray thee, let me live. And he said, Is he yet alive? he is my brother.
33 Now the men did diligently observe whether any thing would come from him, and did hastily catch it: and they said, Thy brother Benhadad. Then he said, Go ye, bring him. Then Benhadad came forth to him; and he caused him to come up into the chariot.
34 And Benhadad said unto him, The cities, which my father took from thy father, I will restore; and thou shalt make streets for thee in Damascus, as my father made in Samaria. Then said Ahab, I will send thee away with this covenant. So he made a covenant with him, and sent him away.”(5)

I, for one, certainly recognize ancient Brethren of 2900 years ago asking for aid and mercy for their King using signs; and Ahab’s reply acknowledging Benhadad as his ‘Brother’. This incident, happening about 300 years before the destruction of the first Temple, demonstrates an act of Masonic Brotherhood and Charity.

While some of our present day Masonic legend is not accurate, it is clear that today’s modern Freemasonry is base upon and descendant from operative ‘stone Masons’ dating to before 1450 B.C. by the discovery of the Masonic emblems and implements within the base of the obelisk, Cleopatra's Needle, now standing in Central Park, New York City.

List of References

1. Jason ... owner of Freemasonhall.com
“History of Freemasonry” by Jason, dated December 23, 2011;
ref: http://www.freemasonhall.com/

2. The Builder January 1915, “Ancient Evidences”; By G. W. Baird
Ref: http://www.masonicdictionary.com/jan1915e.html

3. SCARLET BOOK OF FREEMASONRY; CHAPTER X
THE RECENT REMARKABLE DISCOVERY OF MASONIC EMBLEMS IN EGYPT;
By M. Wolcott Redding; NEW YORK: 1895, REDDING & CO., MASONIC PUBLISHERS

4. MASONIC PAPERS, by Dr ANDREW PRESCOTT; “THE EARLIEST USE OF THE WORD 'FREEMASON' “;published in the Yearbook of the Grand Lodge of Scotland, 2004.
ref: http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/prescott02.html

5. ‘King James Bible’ Online;
ref: http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1-Kings-Chapter-20/

6. Egyptian Obelisk, by Henry H Gorringe; 1882
ref: http://archive.org/details/egyptianobelisks00gorruoft

edwmax

Oh well ... I don't seem to be able to make any edits to my post now. ... The superscripts didn't work correctly and I enclosed those within (), but missed the one at " ... Chapter 20 verses 31–345" ... The last 5 should have been (5).