Introduction

Green-Moo

As a non Mason, I'm interested to know how the majority of you were originally introduced to FreeMasonry. I'm guessing that it's something that's often passed down from father to son. Would that be correct?

cemab4y

There are many ways to learn about Masonry

I am a Mason, as is my father, and both of my (deceased) Grandfathers. Often, many relatives of Freemasonry learn of the Craft, and thence go on to participate.

In most states, it is not permitted to invite a man, even a relative, to participate in Masonry. The organization stresses free will, and free association. IMHO- We go a little overboard in this respect.

I was introduced to masonry by a (now deceased) friend. One of my hobbies is Amateur Radio. I like to build radio sets, and communicate by morse code, etc. One of my radio friends was at a coffee meeting one time, and another man walked in, who did not know my friend. The two of them started shaking hands, and talking like they were well-acquainted.

I was fascinated, and I asked Don, "What is this all about?". He went on to explain that both he and the other man were Masons, and that all over the world, men who were masons would greet each other in like manner. I was hooked, right away, and I went to the local lodge, to get a petition (application form). I have been a mason for 25 years now, and I have attended lodges in 11 states, Washington DC, and three foreign countries. I am leaving for Iraq soon, and we are going to establish a lodge there.

Nowadays, with the internet, the first knock on the door of Masonry, is often an electronic knock. One lodge in Arlington VA, got 17 new petitions in one month, all from the internet. The Grand Lodge of New York has a state-wide lodge locator, and you can even download a petition form directly off the Grand Lodge website.

If you are interested in masonry, here is an excellent "capsule description"

Freemasonry Explained

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I'm the first in my family to become a Freemason . I became a Mason after I found out a great man I know was in the Fraternity and I figured if these were the kind of men who were Masons then I wanted to see what it was all about .

Green-Moo

You suprise me! I really didn't realise that inviting someone to FreeMasonry was forbidden. As a FreeMason guideline I completely agree with the stress on free will. However, as a State law it seems a little excessive to me. Surely an invite can do no harm (unless you go for the bag over the head & cosh them method!)?

mollyL

My father became a Mason after meeting a man who became a good friend recommended him. This man was the most generous, happy, friendly person you'd ever meet. If he heard of a problem, he was right there trying to fix it. I'm sure that part of why my father became a mason was respect for his friend.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Green-Moo , I have to agree with you . I believe they should have to come to us of their own free will and accord , but I don't see the harm in asking a friend if they would like to join if they show interest . A very good friend of mine has been beating around the bush for a year before he finally asked me for a petition last week . I told him it's about time . The only plus is that there is not a rule against my wife asking good men to join . I've had quit a few great guys come into the Fraternity because she told them to ask me for a petition . She knows the kind of men we're looking for and knows not send the riff raff my way .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
My father is a mason as well, I have lived with him, learned from him, and respect him for everything he has done. We were in the local volunteer fire-department together, same church, etc... After he joined the fraternity and I learned what it was all about I elected to join. Freemasonry was often a topic of conversation, however, just as it was stated, even my father did not ask me to join. I had to ask for a petition (2b1ask1). Since that time I have proceeded through the officers line, been Worshipful Master of our lodge twice, and support the lodge and its' charities every chance I get. My brother then joined the lodge, now there are 3 masons in our family, with hopefully more on the way.

Green-Moo

I suppose that we learn by example & if we see our fathers taking part in something worthwhile then we will likely follow.

My own grandfather was a Mason, but I only found out after his death.

cemab4y

Invitations

The rules governing invitations and recruiting, vary from state to state. The State of Massachusetts (Grand Lodge) permits masons to invite others to join the Craft. In fact, Massachusetts is having a state-wide "open house" on March 8. Lodges all over Massachusetts will be open, and handing out literature, and giving tours of their lodge buildings.

If your interest in Masonry is sincere, and you wish to get a petition (application) form, regardless of location, you need to check with your local lodge hall, and get the secretary, to provide you with a form.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I happened to love history, more specific the mid-evil era. So of course I've read about the Knights Templar, which lead to Freemasons. I always found them interesting, and have learned about their Charity work. Then one day I decided to see if I can find a local Lodge. Much to my surprise I found a website for them and found they meet on Monday nights. Sadly I was working 3pm-11pm at the time and would not be able to attend meetings. So I put it off until I felt I was able to attend more meetings. Sadly, I'm back to working at night sometimes, but I do strive to make at least one meeting a month, but two or more is my goal.

I am the first that I know of in my Family.

jbigie

As for my own intro to Freemasonry, I was recruited into The International Order of DeMolay, a youth fraternity sponsored by Masonic Lodges, at the age of 14. Over the years of my time in DeMolay, I learned alot about Masonry, and on my 18th birthday, I asked one of my Advisors for a petition to join the Lodge. Its turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life.

Green-Moo

As for my own intro to Freemasonry, I was recruited into The International Order of DeMolay, a youth fraternity sponsored by Masonic Lodges, at the age of 14.

How were you introduced to DeMolay, Jbigie?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that some states forbid direct invitations to the Masons. I would guess the same applies to DeMolay? Particularly as it's dealing with minors.