Living in the Moon

Disciple

Do you think it is possible for humans to make a colony on the moon? I guess the moon is the best place to have an experiment if we want to colonize other planets.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
It will be a stepping stone. I doubt it my lifetime, although I read an article about how Japan is considering a space elevator. I think the savings was 95 cents on the dollar, according to the article.

freeman

If this could happen in my lifetime that would be incredible! For one because we would be living on the moon, for another because somehow someone had to figure out how to make that happen.

Disciple

What is an space elevator? I can't really imaging what it will look like.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an ongoing research on how to live inside a pressurized green house. The research is for Mars so I guess they could apply the result for Moon living.

Mortarfan

I think it would be pretty cool if it happened. I would think that we would start with Mars or another planet that has water on it. I haven't heard anything about a space elevator. That sounds neat, would it be a really long elevator going from the Earth to the Moon?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member

If I'm not mistaken, there is an ongoing research on how to live inside a pressurized green house. The research is for Mars so I guess they could apply the result for Moon living.
I do not think this was the exact article, but the one I read did not have a picture either. But this may explain it better then I can. Japan hopes to turn sci-fi into reality with elevator to the stars - Times Online

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I recall looking at one of my dad's old Popular Science magazines from the late 60's or early 70's that had an article about a space elevator in it. I don't remember the particulars, but it was futuristic.

eraser

I don't think a space elevator would ever work, sorry. Too much flying debris out there. It's a fanciful idea, for sure, but not very practical.

Disciple

The space elevator is really possible with the technology that we have. I wonder what type of fiber will they use for this kind of elevator. I wish I could ride one of these elevators in my lifetime.

dax

Are there aliens living in the moon? Can we possibly breathe in the moon? What is the temperature there? Just having thoughts, I think there's no food, no water and no air, unless we get there first.

G

Gary

Are there aliens living in the moon? Can we possibly breathe in the moon? What is the temperature there? Just having thoughts, I think there's no food, no water and no air, unless we get there first.
Pre-coffee here... so bear with me...

1. Breathing "In" the moon is not possible because it is solid. However, we can colonize the surface with artificial environments / structures.

2. Since there is no atmosphere, the temperature fluctuates between several hundred degrees above and below zero. Depending on the moons relative location to the sun. Sunrise/sunset etc...

3. Water has been found on the moon. It is in ice form.

Hope that answered your questions.

Starlight

I do believe this will be possible and probably sooner than we think. How many people thought that walking in the moon would be impossible, and we did it before I was even born. I think even if I don't live long enough, my daughters will have the privilege to do so. I will always recommend they reach for the stars one way or another.

lencoo12

I think it would be pretty cool if it happened. I would think that we would start with Mars or another planet that has water on it. I haven't heard anything about a space elevator. That sounds neat, would it be a really long elevator going from the Earth to the Moon?

StoneH

This discussion reminds me of the movie Total Recall. If there were a human colony on the moon, I imagine it would be like human colonies on Mars portrayed in the movie.