Masonic penny?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What is a Masonic penny? Also, is the pyramid on the dollar bill Masonic related?
The Masonic Penny is nothing more than a keepsake . I have one I carry with me .

To answer your question about the pyramid on the One dollar bill , no matter what the Anti-masons would lead you to believe , the answer is No . Out of the 4 men who designed the one $ bill only one was a Freemason , and that would be Benjamin Franklin , and Most if not all of his ideas were rejected . The unfinished pyramid was used to represent that the Country was still yet unfinished . And the all-seeing-eye was used by many different people to represent God , not only Freemasons . The designer who contributed the all-seeing-eye was a non-Mason by the name of Pierre Du Simitere .

Back in their days ,1700's , they had books of symbols(non-Masonic) to draw from to get their ideas across because many in those days could not read the written word . And that is were the symbols came from .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
a masonic penny is one that the symbolic square and compass has been struck into the face of the coin, normally directly above the year. That is the only masonic penny that I know of.

The pyramid on the back of the dollar bill, some conclude that it is masonic, and as this may have masonic ties, there is no proof that the entire picture is masonic. The all seeing eye has masonic reference, and I suppose the unfinished pyramid has bearing on the feeling of unfinished lifes accomplishments, however, there is no hard evidence to link the two together.

This is just my understanding however, others may have additional information, which may convince otherwise.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I wasn't sure which coin he was talking about . You get a Masonic penny in the York Rite as a keepsake and my Lodge gives masonic coins to our new brothers .

Back to B.Franklin and the $ bill . Did some quick studying ,his idea was to put Moses at the Red Sea with the Pharaoh being overwhelmed on the back of the bill , instead of the unfinished pyramid and Eye of Providence .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Back to B.Franklin and the $ bill . Did some quick studying ,his idea was to put Moses at the Red Sea with the Pharaoh being overwhelmed on the back of the bill , instead of the unfinished pyramid and Eye of Providence .
You know, I never new that. I wonder how that would go over today.

Back to the subject, I've seen two "main" types of Masonic Pennies. One is simply a normal penny, with a Square and Compass imprinted onto it. I have a few of these laying around. I've actually got enough that I've thought about giving them away here.

The second, is a stretched penny. On the back has Masonic symbols placed about it, or may hold something about the Grand Master.

I've attached a few samples.

Attachments

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You know, I never new that. I wonder how that would go over today.

Back to the subject, I've seen two "main" types of Masonic Pennies. One is simply a normal penny, with a Square and Compass imprinted onto it. I have a few of these laying around. I've actually got enough that I've thought about giving them away here.

The second, is a stretched penny. On the back has Masonic symbols placed about it, or may hold something about the Grand Master.

I've attached a few samples.
I forgot all about those regular pennies with the S & C on them . Some guy came up to me in a store , I guess he noticed my ring , and showed me one of those pennies . He said he found it and asked if there was anything special about them , all I could tell him was not to my knowledge . I've never given them much thought .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I wasn't sure which coin he was talking about . You get a Masonic penny in the York Rite as a keepsake and my Lodge gives masonic coins to our new brothers .

The penny you receive at this time is for the Mark Master Mason Degree, The coin, even though it says "penny" is generally refered to as a "mark"

This has reference to the Mark of the Master Mason and the wages of his labor.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I know , I was just generalizing it . I have one myself in the frame I put my Father-in-laws apron in after he was buried , along with the Masonic coin he gave me . My wife had to get a special program for her engraving computer at work to engrave my and others " marks "on our coins .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I apologize, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything. I just meant to elaborate on the statement was all.

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
I know , I was just generalizing it . I have one myself in the frame I put my Father-in-laws apron in after he was buried , along with the Masonic coin he gave me . My wife had to get a special program for her engraving computer at work to engrave my and others " marks "on our coins .
What kind of things can your wife engrave?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Anything metal and glass . She does the engraving for most the local lodges . Coins , name plates and such . I send our new MM's to her to get their coins engraved .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I bought a pocket watch at a fair price and had my wife engrave the S & C on it's cover and the lodge name and number to give to my coach when when I received my cercificate of proficency . If you live near a mall that has a " Things Remembered " store , they could do the engraving . They have the S & C on their computers .

mollyL

Those coins are really fascinating. As to calling them marks, could that be that was when a "mark" and a "penny" were roughly the same amount of money?

segnett

New Penny Question

A buddy of mine went metal detecting, he found a bunch of coins buried in a field...some in perfect stacks.

Anyway, he also found a penny that had the Mason symbol (the square, compass, and a "G" in the middle) on one side and on the other side he said there was an envelope...I think its probably an apron though. The penny has "In God We Trust" and "One Cent" or "One Penny" on it also. Problem is the date was worn off, which means there may have been some other stuff on there too that got worn off.

At any rate, I've been trying to help him research this and figure out where this coin may have come from. None of the Masonic pennies I've seen have completely matched the description.

Anybody recognize the design, or have an idea where the coin could be researched?

There was also a heavy metal button, like on a jacket or blazer, found in the same field. The button had a castle with a tower on each side. Not sure if this is Masonic in nature or not, but I figure its worth a try to ask if anyone recognizes the description.

cemab4y

A buddy of mine went metal detecting, he found a bunch of coins buried in a field...some in perfect stacks.

Anyway, he also found a penny that had the Mason symbol (the square, compass, and a "G" in the middle) on one side and on the other side he said there was an envelope...I think its probably an apron though. The penny has "In God We Trust" and "One Cent" or "One Penny" on it also. Problem is the date was worn off, which means there may have been some other stuff on there too that got worn off.

-->This "penny" is NOT US legal tender, and cannot be used in commerce. A Masonic "penny" is a token, given to a Royal Arch Mason, as a "keepsake".

At any rate, I've been trying to help him research this and figure out where this coin may have come from. None of the Masonic pennies I've seen have completely matched the description.

Anybody recognize the design, or have an idea where the coin could be researched?

==>You should check with your local York Rite bodies, they should be able to identify it.

There was also a heavy metal button, like on a jacket or blazer, found in the same field. The button had a castle with a tower on each side. Not sure if this is Masonic in nature or not, but I figure its worth a try to ask if anyone recognizes the description.
==> A button like you describe, probably has no masonic connection