Masonic Trivia

RoughAshlar

Every year, my district holds a trivia competition. Every lodge that wish's to compete forms a team of 4 people, its a really good time. I had the honor this year of being on my lodge's team and winning. We are the only lodge to have won it twice now =D all the questions are based off of our Constitution and ritual work. Obviously we can't be posting those kinds of questions here, but we can post trivia on other things. Landmarks, historical events etc...

Ill get things started by asking a question, knowing the answer and then we can see who has the answer or another piece of trivia. It should be fun and everyone should learn something from it.

Question: What is the Latin motto of the UGLE and its translation?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The Commissioner of Patents In 1872 ruled what in regards to the Masonic Square and Compass emblem?
That it could not be used in a trademark, trade name or for other commercial purposes.

Does anyone know the Lodge that sat on the border of Canada and the United States that had entrances on both sides of the border?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That it could not be used in a trademark, trade name or for other commercial purposes.

Does anyone know the Lodge that sat on the border of Canada and the United States that had entrances on both sides of the border?

Golden Lodge #5, Stanstead, Canada occupied a lodge room which straddled the US and Canadian border .

Here's an easy one . What is a Lewis?

Chris From California

Proud Master Mason
Golden Lodge #5, Stanstead, Canada occupied a lodge room which straddled the US and Canadian border .

Here's an easy one . What is a Lewis?
A lewis is an instrument in operative masonry. It is a cramp iron which is inserted into a cavity prepared for that purpose in any large stone, so as to give attachment to a pulley and hook whereby the stone may be conveniently raised to any height and deposited in its proper position.

RoughAshlar

I really like how this is going :D Here's another one!

In 1920, which lodge met every day of the week except Sunday to confer a record 1,107 degrees, averaging 21 degrees a week.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
A lewis is an instrument in operative masonry. It is a cramp iron which is inserted into a cavity prepared for that purpose in any large stone, so as to give attachment to a pulley and hook whereby the stone may be conveniently raised to any height and deposited in its proper position.
Correct on the operative definition of a "Lewis". Now what's the speculative Masonic term?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I really like how this is going :D Here's another one!

In 1920, which lodge met every day of the week except Sunday to confer a record 1,107 degrees, averaging 21 degrees a week.

Gate City Lodge #522 in Kansas City .

What is the oldest existing Lodge record ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
"The son of a Mason who becomes a member of the Craft before he reaches lawful age. In England the term "Lewis" is a symbol of strength, a man's strength being represented in his son."

This was from my reading , but I found your "Lewis" answer also , RoughAshlar .