EA Topic Master certification

Winter

I've been here before
Our monitor here in WI has a section that details each officer's position and what part of each ritual they are expected to know and what parts they are supposed to study that year for the next officer position.

Our monitor here in WI has a section that details each officer's position and what part of each ritual they are expected to know and what parts they are supposed to study that year for the next officer position.
Which I feel is the way it "should" be......but what do you do if no one present at the election of officers can do the work???.....Shut the Lodge down? I dont know, I am still a wet behind the ears mason.

Winter

I've been here before
Which I feel is the way it "should" be......but what do you do if no one present at the election of officers can do the work???.....Shut the Lodge down? I dont know, I am still a wet behind the ears mason.
Brother, if you have nobody available in your Lodge that can do the work that wants to be an officer, honestly, how can you have a Lodge?

Edit: Not implying your Lodge is this way. We're talking hypotheticals here. :)

Brother, if you have nobody available in your Lodge that can do the work that wants to be an officer, honestly, how can you have a Lodge?

Edit: Not implying your Lodge is this way. We're talking hypotheticals here. :)
EASY.... I do not believe conducting non ritual meetings should be considered a tyled meeting....it is nothing more than a business meeting.

The "Officers" should be able to open and close a Lodge during ritual.....and then maybe a "ritual" team or something like that does the work.....I know plenty Brothers that like to do the degree work but dont want an official position with the lodge.

Winter

I've been here before
I believe (and this is merely my opinion) that a Lodge working using that model would be little better than the Rotary or Kiwanis.

What reason would there be to have any ritual (opening & closing) for a meeting where you vote to pay bills, find out who is sick, and hear that the GL is raising the per capita, and try to find out who's gonna mow the grass.....it is no secret that we do these things....I believe we should have fiscal officers and none of that info comes up in a tyled lodge.....

What reason would there be to have any ritual (opening & closing) for a meeting where you vote to pay bills, find out who is sick, and hear that the GL is raising the per capita, and try to find out who's gonna mow the grass.....it is no secret that we do these things....I believe we should have fiscal officers and none of that info comes up in a tyled lodge.....
Dang....shut this conversation down........

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I see Lodge as an opportunity to learn and practice ritual, what happens as the stated communications is not part of that ritual. IMHO

edwmax

One) In Georgia all business must be done in the 3rd degree. Therefore, the Lodge must open & close.

Two) One item of business of the Lodge is to provide Education. Therefore, there should always be a lecture or some sort of education presented if there is no degree work.

G

Gary

One) In Georgia all business must be done in the 3rd degree. Therefore, the Lodge must open & close.

Two) One item of business of the Lodge is to provide Education. Therefore, there should always be a lecture or some sort of education presented if there is no degree work.

Same thing here in Florida.

1...WHY...is there something unique about the bills in GA?

2) I agree with Education...but why do it the same night as the business meeting....have them separate...the do it in full ritual form....

To ME....a tyled Lodge should be : Degree work, practice of ritual, Masonic Education and other ceremonies....

When we discuss business ie bills, if we are gonna have a pic-nic, set up the lawn mowing etc really doesnt have a masonic theme......I did the exact same thing in the volunteer fire department I used to belong to....these are not secrets....who cares if someone hears if our electric bill is $100.00 or we can afford to hire a lawn service so we have to get volunteers to mow....THIS is NOT a masonic meeting ...it is just a meeting where the members of the Masonic Lodge gather to take care of the formalities of taking care of the property....

I understand that is how it has been done for MANY...MANY years and I know it WONT change....I just have an opinion and would like to hear a reason why paying bills should be done in a tyled meeting.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
More goes on in stated meetings than bills , who is going to mow the lawn and even education . Stated meetings are for all lodge business which includes the reading of petitions , balloting , returning of catechisms , waivers of jurisdictions , etc; etc; . I can not speak for other jurisdictions , but all this must be done on our Stated (business) meetings . To hold a stated meeting , the lodge must be open/closed in due and ancient form .

Same here.... I just dont see the wasting of time just for the bills....have a separate meeting for that....is anyone gonna vote to not pay the bills?...In my Lodge, they are already paid so they arent any late dues...we vote to pay the bills that have already been paid.... I think it should be a "Fiscal" meeting for those bills and such....I agree 110% with the rest...

Many Brothers come to Lodge not wanting to stay for 2-3 hours (I dont mind, if there is some educations or something more going on)....bills and such waste the time that could be used for education...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We do not read the bills UNLESS the Secretary/Treasurer finds them unjust . They just pay them . We have a building committee to take care of the building and the grounds , the only time anything is brought up in lodge is if it is something that will be costly . If something needs to be fixed and purchases made , they simply call the Master and he makes the call , yeah or nay .

Thats is cool....in my Lodge...bills,reading of the minutes, reading cards takes 30- 45 minutes and after that some of the older guys are ready to leave....

I say take everything but major expenditures to a "fiscal" meeting with the WM saying yea or nay...he is to govern as he sees right....

I just think in a tyled meeting, we should be getting down to masonic education, practicing for degrees, learning the next chair, proficiencies, ..... then again, maybe I need to get a new colored pair of glasses to look through...

BTW....I just want to thank everyone for not getting all hit in the arse and saying I am in some sort of violation of rules, regs constitutions or charges just for my thoughts..... I have experience on another site, masons who think they are the most knowledgeable and refuse to allow some free thinking......

THANK YOU for not being that way....