Membership of Other Organisations

Green-Moo

Would the membership of other organisations work against or for someone who was wishing to join the Masons? I mean mainstream, decent organisations (like the Rotary Club for instance) rather than something blatantly awful like a white supremacy group, obviously.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I don't see why it should . I'm also in the Lions club , American Legion and the VFW myself . I know many Masons in those Org. along with the Elks , Moose and the Eagles clubs .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The only thing that I've ever heard of causing a conflict was some chapters of Knights of Columbus are not allowed to be Masons. Not sure if that is entirely true, but I have heard it from several different sources. But our Lodge has worked with the local KoC chapter for charities. So who really knows.

cemab4y

Membership in other organizations, generally presents to problem to the new applicant for Freemasonry. In fact, the candidate can easily provide individuals who can vouch for his character.

The requirements for membership are clearly spelled out, on the websites of the various Grand Lodges.

Green-Moo

I had wondered whether membership of other organisations might indicate that the prospective member would be lacking in time, which would be seen as being a disadvantage. My thoughts being that it is better to devote yourself fully to one or two organisations that spread yourself very thinly throughout many.

RoughAshlar

The only thing that I've ever heard of causing a conflict was some chapters of Knights of Columbus are not allowed to be Masons. Not sure if that is entirely true, but I have heard it from several different sources. But our Lodge has worked with the local KoC chapter for charities. So who really knows.
The issue with the Knights of Columbus, is they are a Chatholic organization and until the papal ban on masonry was lifted in 1982 the church would excommunicate any member, not only Knights of Columbus if they became masons.

That being said there has almost always been Chatholic masons that hid their affiliation from their church.