My Nephew

Bill_F

I'm going to get a little sappy here, but it cant be helped. My nephew, who lives in Illinois, is only 5 years younger than myself. So growing up we were more than family, we were Friends. And the bond got only stronger as we grew up. Although we only talk about twice a year, we are so similar in thought, sense of humor, outlook on life, etc that we can just pick up right where we left off, which is usually laughing about something. I love him, respect him, look up to him and his accomplishments in life. He is a great Father, husband and human being
Heres the question..... I would be so overjoyed to have him say one day " oh, you're a Mason, I've always wondered about them"... get into a conversation and have him apply. But I also know we are not allowed to ask a prospective candidate.
How can I let him know how much pleasure that would give me without asking him to put in an application? I'm sure many have been in the same position.
Thanks Brothers.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Actually, I've heard that we can ask twice. But haven't seen anything in writing about that. There is nothing to prohibit you from telling him that you are a Mason, and start up a conversation about the fraternity. No one said that you had to ask him if he was interested in joining. Tell him about your experiences and see what he thinks. If he asks how to join, well then that's just awesome!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
It's a subtle thing. Take a look at the "Ask a Freemason" videos. They present the advantages and encourage men to ask.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
We had a pamphlet here in NC (AF&AM) entitled, "Have You Ever Considered Becoming a Freemason?" If you use the title as a question, you are skating just short of inviting, at least according to my grand lodge, but still remaining ethical. I've used it to open conversations on the subject on several occasions, and three petitions have resulted.

S&F

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
It's interesting that you ask about that. I always thought the 2B1ASK1 campaigns are really recruiting. "I can't ask you to join, but I'm asking you to ask me to join".

jaya

Each jurisdiction has their own rules about recruiting. I woul probably talk about something that happened in lodge that I liked. Make it interesting and watch their response. If they ask questions answer them.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
We had a pamphlet here in NC (AF&AM) entitled, "Have You Ever Considered Becoming a Freemason?" If you use the title as a question, you are skating just short of inviting, at least according to my grand lodge, but still remaining ethical. I've used it to open conversations on the subject on several occasions, and three petitions have resulted.

S&F
I believe Florida has something similar. But they could have just been really old pamphlets the Lodge had.

Bill_F

Thank you all for your replies. I will find a way to work it into a conversation.
Jason and Gary, Have you ever seen the one that has a older woman on the front cover, and the caption is "What he he gotten himself into now?" It's for the wives of prospective candidates. I did bring one home to my wife, and it is informative.
But, the expression on her face is pretty comical! :)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I may not ask BUT my wife can , and does . She has told more than a few men whom she knows that they would make good Masons and to ask me for a petition . She is a great judge of character and all the men she asked would have made good Masons , there are a couple on the fence and thinking about it .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Thank you all for your replies. I will find a way to work it into a conversation.
Jason and Gary, Have you ever seen the one that has a older woman on the front cover, and the caption is "What he he gotten himself into now?" It's for the wives of prospective candidates. I did bring one home to my wife, and it is informative.
But, the expression on her face is pretty comical! :)
Yeah, I know of that brochure. They gave it to my wife during my investigation. My wife raised an eyebrow when she saw the cover too! LOL