New species of fish discovered four miles below sea level

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The new species of snail fish can withstand incredible pressure – equivalent to 1,600 elephants standing on the roof of a Mini.
The fish, which has not even been officially named yet, was discovered by marine experts probing the deep-see trenches off the South East Pacific Ocean off the Chilean coast.
Initially they believed the pitch black and freezing conditions were too harsh to sustain life.
But researchers were stunned when they photographed the ghostly white species living 7,000m (23,000ft) below sea level.
Incredibly, groupings of cusk-eels and large crustacean scavengers were also discovered living at these depths for the first time.
The team of scientists from around the world are now performing tests to find out more about the rare 25cm (9in) long snail fish.

more New species of fish discovered four miles below sea level | swns.com

G

Gary

I resent the elephants standing the Mini part...Coopers are for driving. Not for standing on...LOL :D

Now....back to the educational part of the article....

intent

So interesting

I think it is pretty incredible that we are starting to discover some of the life in the deeper waters. We know it is there but, until now, have not been able to get answers. I really feel that researching the fish will help us make some new discoveries.

G

Gary

It's definitely interesting for sure. Hard to believe there is a whole other undiscovered world on our own planet.

Necktie

Atlantis

Who knows, if we get get deep enough we might discover the lost city of Atlantis. The thing that really amazes me about the deep sea is that there are some huge creatures down there.

Robby

Geez, it makes me wonder what else is down there we don't know about. I'm sure we don't know everything that's there. We have tons of things I'm sure to discover down there.