Oklahoma Freemasonry

Lantern

I am extremely interested in becoming a Freemason, but I have a concern about doing so in this region. Oklahoma is one of the most conservative places on planet Earth, and I don't have any confidence in the true Masonic spirit of religious acceptance of local Freemasons. I do believe in God, but in a Gnostic respect, which is unorthodox and completely clashes with the Christian view. I am an Occultist and my house has many bits of religious decor with a slant toward the darker side of the spiritual plane which I'm afraid would have some influence on the background check/interview part of the acceptance process. I'm not the type that would hide this part of myself, especially in my own home, so I'm almost certain that the tendency to be judgmental would be influential when it's time for the black balls to come out.

I was given free reign to tour, unattended, the Scottish Rite Temple in Guthrie, and it's the most amazing building that I've ever seen, so loaded with esoteric symbolism that I'm certain I would be at home, but I worry about the Blue Lodge process and wonder if I would be comfortable.

I think I will eventually move back to Oregon, which is a more liberal setting. But it doesn't have quite the rich Masonic history of Oklahoma, and I'd really like to be raised in these parts (Masonically speaking).

Would anybody here be able to offer me some advice?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
That is truly a hard one. Some people have stricter views then others. There are some Brothers in the Lodge that I know would be ok with your views, while others will not. I do know in my interview, I was simply asked if I believe in God, not to what extent, or how I worship.

I am not sure what you are referring to by saying you are towards the darker side of the spiritual plane. I can tell you however, my house is filled with gargoyles, and a few other creatures. I even plan on getting a tattoo of a gargoyle. But I am not sure how relevant that is towards your case.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
The amazing thing about freemasonry is that you don't have to believe in "god" (which I do), but rather in a supreme being. Dependent upon your religion, this is what keeps our fraternity open to all religions. This may assist you in the feeling of slightly askew from the norm.

Jason, Gargoyles are in my opinion, nothing dark either, these if I am not mistaken, are guardians, so that only makes sense for our fraternity as well :)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Jason, Gargoyles are in my opinion, nothing dark either, these if I am not mistaken, are guardians, so that only makes sense for our fraternity as well :)
That is how I view them. Not everyone I run into does however. Then again I've run into people who tell me I'm not of Christian faith since I wear a Celtic cross which pre-dates Christianity. A few have gone on a rather long rant about it too.