Questions about Coins and Symbols

Julie

Good morning,

My grandfather is now in a nursing home, and he asked me to take some things from his house and keep them safe with me. When I was putting the things from his jewelry box away, I noticed quite a few masonic coins and a medal. This sparked my curiosity. I started researching them on the internet, but I am curious to learn more. I was wondering if you could tell me about these things that I found. I was also fascinated when learning about all of the symbols that masons use. Could you recommend some further reading on this? I'll post some pictures of the coins, and if you could tell me anything about them, like the meanings of the symbols on them, I would really appreciate it! I know the medal was my great-grandfather's. It says "SPES MEA IN DIO EST". I only studied Latin for a year in middle school, but I think that means "My (faith?) is in god." I'd really like to know what the 32 in the triangle means, or what the cool-looking two-headed bird with the red eyes symbolizes.

Also, this is just a totally random question, but are there any female freemasons, or is there a similar organization for women, or no? Is it like boy scouts for grown ups? I'm sorry if these questions are ignorant or offensive; I'd just really like to learn more.

Thank you so much,
Julie

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The two headed eagle is the symbol of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry the 32 in the triangle represents the 32nd degree conferred by that body. If the tips of the wings of the eagle are up, that means he was probably from the Southern jurisdiction of Scottish Rite, Wings down is Northern Jurisdiction.

There are many masonic coins. They are struck for any number of reasons. Most have a commemorative "heads" side and a group of Masonic Working Tools on the "tails" side. They might be celebrating a significant event of a lodge, like their 100th anniversary. I have one in my pocket that commemorates the birthday of Samuel Crocker Lawrence, a prominent Freemason.

I'll leave the book recommendation to somebody more widely read than I.

As a "mainstream" (AF&AM) Mason, I can only answer your question about female masons with a "no". The reality is that there are many women who feel they are just as much a mason as I am. My Grand Lodge does not recognize their orders of Masonry as legitimate, so I can't sit in lodge with them and they can't sit in my lodge. That doesn't prevent me from calling them "friend".

Mainstream Masonry has at least three orders for women and girls. The Order of the Eastern Star is for the adult female relatives of Masons and is co-ed. The Rainbow Girls and Job's Daughters are for younger ladies. None of these Orders make female Masons, though.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The first coin is the Mark Master penny , it is given to all who have went through the Mark Master degree of the York Rite . In the very center is your Grandfather's "mark " . After the completion of the Mark Master degree , all Mark Master Masons must create their own individual "Mark" , it must be unique and created before they may advance to the Royal Arch Degree . Here is a link to various Mark Master coins ..... http://www.ram-il.org/ChapterPennies.htm . On front of the penny is the Chapter name and number and on the reverse side is a place for the Mark Master to engrave his "mark" and the working tools of a Mark Master , the Mallet (right hand) and the Chisel (left hand ) . The Mallet teaches us to correct irregularities , and to reduce man to a common level . The Chisel teaches us the advantages of discipline and education .

As for the other coins , as Windrider stated , they look like nothing more than commemorative coins , I have a few myself .

As for women Freemasons , I am not the type to say "NO , they do not exist" . Though myself being a mainstream Mason I may not recognize them as Masons , there are women who have went through basically the same degree I have and there are very well educated female "Masons" out there that know more about Freemasonry than many male Freemasons (because they feel they have more to prove) . There is all-female "Masonry" and what is called co-Masonry (which is co-ed) . I am not going to get all bent out of shape over women claiming to be Masons or wanting to be Masons . It is a big world out there and there is room enough for us all just as long as they do not try to force the issue on us and we on them , then it is all good .

Julie

Thanks! This is all super helpful! So, if I have another one, that's the same, but has a pattern in the middle of the circle with the letters, that's his mark?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks! This is all super helpful! So, if I have another one, that's the same, but has a pattern in the middle of the circle with the letters, that's his mark?
Yes , it would be his mark . That is , I am assuming that he is in fact a York Rite Mason . It may be that it could even be another brother's/Companion's who has passed on to the Celestial Lodge above and he is keeping it for sentimental reasons .

His mark is (or should be) recorded in the Book of Marks that the Recorder (secretary) keeps for future generations to view . I have sat and went through all the marks of the Companions who have went through the YR before me . It is interesting , some are very detailed and some are simple . My mark is a combination of mine and my wife's initials , all linked together in a certain pattern .

Julie

Yes , it would be his mark . That is , I am assuming that he is in fact a York Rite Mason . It may be that it could even be another brother's/Companion's who has passed on to the Celestial Lodge above and he is keeping it for sentimental reasons .

His mark is (or should be) recorded in the Book of Marks that the Recorder (secretary) keeps for future generations to view . I have sat and went through all the marks of the Companions who have went through the YR before me . It is interesting , some are very detailed and some are simple . My mark is a combination of mine and my wife's initials , all linked together in a certain pattern .
That's so cool! If I go to the lodge, can I see this book of marks with my relatives in it?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You are more than welcome . It is refreshing to have a family member who is interested in their Father/Grandfather's membership in the Fraternity . Many find these things and toss them out , sell them in yard sells , flea markets , pawn shops or just give them away without any thought to what they meant to their (Grand)father .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
You are more than welcome . It is refreshing to have a family member who is interested in their Father/Grandfather's membership in the Fraternity . Many find these things and toss them out , sell them in yard sells , flea markets , pawn shops or just give them away without any thought to what they meant to their (Grand)father .
And other Brothers, like some of us, find them buy them and return them to use.:rolleyes:

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I was attending a kite festival over the weekend and ran into an old acquaintance who just found out I am a Mason. He proudly told me that he had "a lot of gold medals" he found in his deceased father's belongings. I described a past master's jewel and he agreed that one of them was, indeed a PM jewel. I then went on to inform him that these jewels were never his father's property but the property of the lodge and should be returned. He laughed and said "F#$k that, I'm selling them on ebay."

Winter

I've been here before
Windrider, not sure if that is specific to your jurisdiction, but those items were his father's property and now his and he can do what he likes with them. At least that is the way it is in every jurisdiction I have been in. Some Brothers stipulate that Masonic items are given to the Lodge but they have no "right" to it.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Not being as experienced as you, Winter, I can only say that, other than those in use by living Past Masters, the Past Master's Jewels in my lodge are kept in a bank safe deposit box entrusted to one of our most esteemed members. They are large, solid gold medals worth thousands in today's gold market. If we had one made for every Past Master, we would go broke in a hurry.

Winter

I've been here before
Interesting. I've never heard of that practice. I'd like to see pictures of some if you could arrange it. All of the jurisdictions I have been in, if the Lodge gives a PM a jewel it is usually the under $50 variety and it becomes his property. Or more often, the PM is responsible for buying his own bling/schwag.

I guess it would come down to what the practice is in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Interesting. I've never heard of that practice. I'd like to see pictures of some if you could arrange it. All of the jurisdictions I have been in, if the Lodge gives a PM a jewel it is usually the under $50 variety and it becomes his property. Or more often, the PM is responsible for buying his own bling/schwag.

I guess it would come down to what the practice is in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred.
I don't have any pictures, but the typical PM jewel is worn on the jacket pocket. There is a rectangular block engraved with the current owner's name on the front and the original owner's name on the back along with the dates they were in the East. A gold chain dangles under that and a jewel like this dangles under it.

https://etregalia.com/lg_images/past_master_gldjwl_lg.jpg

Winter

I've been here before
I don't have any pictures, but the typical PM jewel is worn on the jacket pocket. There is a rectangular block engraved with the current owner's name on the front and the original owner's name on the back along with the dates they were in the East. A gold chain dangles under that and a jewel like this dangles under it.
https://etregalia.com/lg_images/past_master_gldjwl_lg.jpg
I know what a PM jewel looks like. I want to see what one of your PM jewels looks like that is worth thousands!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I know what a PM jewel looks like. I want to see what one of your PM jewels looks like that is worth thousands!
I'll be at the lodge tomorrow for a ChIP event training. I'll try to get a picture of one we have on display. A recent issue of "The Trowel" magazine had an article about one of the few craftsmen who make these jewels as the cover story.