Reading and it's effect of Freemasonry

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just take your time with books like Morals and Dogma . You do not have to sit down and read for hours on end . Read a page or two and digest it for a while . I have been working my way slowly through M & D for a very long time . I am in no rush to finish it , I will get it done when I get it done .

Just take your time with books like Morals and Dogma . You do not have to sit down and read for hours on end . Read a page or two and digest it for a while . I have been working my way slowly through M & D for a very long time . I am in no rush to finish it , I will get it done when I get it done .
Its not the amount of pages either.... it is just the verbiage.....some of those authors are like listening to a monotone speaker.... after a while, you still hear them but dont know what they are saying.....

G

Gary

Speaking of Morals and Dogma, There was a book put out not too long ago called "Morals and Dogma for the 21st Century". It is a page by page rework of Pike's tome. It's meant to be read by itself, or used as a page by page comparison.

I know DeHoyos was working on MD, but I am not aware that he released the book yet. The only other book I know of that relates to this work is "A Bridge to Light" by Rex Hutchens.

johnj1582

Then why don't we just translate our rituals into the modern vernacular.
That's a really good point.

That said, M&D for the 21st Century seems to be a really good "modernization". I know the guys who worked on it personally, and they hold a "M&D for the 21st Century" conference once a quarter (at Plano Lodge, #768, Plano TX, if you're interested). I haven't bought it yet, but in time, I will almost certainly do so. The guys put a lot of research and work into clarifying some of Bro. Pike's more difficult passages.

That's a really good point.

That said, M&D for the 21st Century seems to be a really good "modernization". I know the guys who worked on it personally, and they hold a "M&D for the 21st Century" conference once a quarter (at Plano Lodge, #768, Plano TX, if you're interested). I haven't bought it yet, but in time, I will almost certainly do so. The guys put a lot of research and work into clarifying some of Bro. Pike's more difficult passages.
I have spoke with several Brothers that have used the modern version along with the original to gain a better understand..... without the modern version, M&D is one book I bet most havent read..... especially in the NMJ....

Like I said Bro..... not wanting to re-invent the wheel.... just make a more effective wheel......one with less resistance per se

johnj1582

btw, I also wanted to mention, the Mackey Article mentioned in the OP surprised me by coming in my MCII folder. But I found it here first!

G

Gary

Isnt the Emulation pretty much that?....
No. My understanding is that it is not.

I have spoke with several Brothers that have used the modern version along with the original to gain a better understand..... without the modern version, M&D is one book I bet most havent read..... especially in the NMJ....

Like I said Bro..... not wanting to re-invent the wheel.... just make a more effective wheel......one with less resistance per se
I believe MD for the 21st Century is a great companion for Pike's work. It certainly wasn't intended as a replacement. I think it does a good job of assisting in the original interpretation.

btw, I also wanted to mention, the Mackey Article mentioned in the OP surprised me by coming in my MCII folder. But I found it here first!
LOL, as I am doing more reading these days (especially with the MC1 course), I found the article appropriate. Interesting coincidence!

No. My understanding is that it is not.

I believe MD for the 21st Century is a great companion for Pike's work. It certainly wasn't intended as a replacement. I think it does a good job of assisting in the original interpretation.

LOL, as I am doing more reading these days (especially with the MC1 course), I found the article appropriate. Interesting coincidence!
See your messages

G

Gary

My understanding of the topic has just been enriched...LOL

What I meant by my post, is that my understanding of the Emulation ritual is that is more in line with the old rituals format. I made an assumption that the vernacular was similar. If it were, I guess we'd be speaking in old english like the language used in the Regius Manuscript.

Regius Poem with translation

Winter

I've been here before
Emulation Ritual dates to 1813 at the formation of the United Grand Lodge of England after the reconciliation between the Moderns and the Antients and the desire to standardize the ritual. Which plan fell on it's tuchus since there are more rituals and variations of ritual than ever.

Notably, Emulation has had only one real change since it's adoption. In 1964 they made the decision to make the penalties symbolic. A move I still disapprove of. :cool:

Bro....I do understand your POV on reading, I agree we need to read more. My point is a modernization of some of those old books just might reach a whole new generation of Masons that find the writing style of Pike,Mackey or Hall not to their liking and never hear the message they offered......I dont want the message watered down....just cut the BS out..... why write 1800 pages when it can be said in 400......

Winter

I've been here before
My contention is that the style of writing of the original works is just as accessible today even if the vernacular is not modern. By learning to read these very important tomes it will improve your vocabulary as well as make a huge (and very important) selection of Enlightenment Era works available to you. Many of these works are the foundation of modern Masonry and should be read and studied instead of lamenting that nobody has rewritten them using modern verbiage.

I wouldn't want to read a modern adaptation of Julius Caesar's works and I hate the colorized version of Gone with the Wind! :) They're fine as they are!

While you may be correct, reworking the book to modern dialog such as the AASR NMJ has done with many of their degree will open the enlightenment to a broader group of masons. If a more understandable version is available and read, it may very well lead to reading the original.

Nothing wrong with "old school"....but we do need a modern flare to generate more of an interest....just imagine how difficult this discussion would be with out some modern technology....

CoachN

Builder Builder
Then why don't we just translate our rituals into the modern vernacular.
Because its purpose would then not be served.

The question is everything. How about redirecting it to: What maturing purpose is served by keeping Ritual in a archaic tongue and its symbols veiled?

CoachN

Builder Builder
...Notably, Emulation has had only one real change since it's adoption. In 1964 they made the decision to make the penalties symbolic. A move I still disapprove of. :cool:
It has been symbolic from day one. The only difference is the expression of the symbolism. It went from a metaphor to a simile, that is all.

What that did was try to quell the fears of the literalist. Poets know better!
Bro....I do understand your POV on reading, I agree we need to read more. My point is a modernization of some of those old books just might reach a whole new generation of Masons that find the writing style of Pike,Mackey or Hall not to their liking and never hear the message they offered......I dont want the message watered down....just cut the BS out..... why write 1800 pages when it can be said in 400......
And by taking your suggested direction, what intention and purpose would change?
My contention is that the style of writing of the original works is just as accessible today even if the vernacular is not modern. By learning to read these very important tomes it will improve your vocabulary as well as make a huge (and very important) selection of Enlightenment Era works available to you. Many of these works are the foundation of modern Masonry and should be read and studied instead of lamenting that nobody has rewritten them using modern verbiage.
YES! It's not about experiencing the experiences; it's what experiencing specific experiences opens up for you as a result.
While you may be correct, reworking the book to modern dialog such as the AASR NMJ has done with many of their degree will open the enlightenment to a broader group of masons. If a more understandable version is available and read, it may very well lead to reading the original.

Nothing wrong with "old school"....but we do need a modern flare to generate more of an interest....just imagine how difficult this discussion would be with out some modern technology....
Brother Winter is correct and so are you. The key is finding out how the door can be opened up for those who are not able to understand. This is why I focused my books on background and symbolic meanings. It's my way of opening the door for my Brothers.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
IMHO, Part of the existing ritual to me is that I have to pay attention to understand it, translate it into modern language and I would lose interest quickly. To struggle for something makes it more worthwhile to me.