Scientists discover 'dramatic flares, bursts from mysterious pulsar'

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Scientists have discovered dramatic flares and bursts of energy emanating from a weakly magnetised, slowly rotating pulsar.
The international team of astrophysicists who made the discovery believes that the source of the pulsar's power may be hidden deep within its surface.
Pulsars, or neutron stars, are the collapsed remains of massive stars. Although they are on average only about 30km in diameter, they have hugely powerful surface magnetic fields, billions of times that of our Sun.
The most extreme kinds of pulsars have a surface magnetic field 50-1000 times stronger than normal and emit powerful flares of gamma rays and X-rays. Named magnetars (which stands for "magnetic stars") by astronomers, their huge magnetic fields are thought to be the ultimate source of power for the bursts of gamma rays.
Theoretical studies indicate that in magnetars the internal field is actually stronger than the surface field, a property that can deform the crust and propagate outwards. The decay of the magnetic field leads to the production of steady and bursting X-ray emission through the heating of the neutron star crust or the acceleration of particles.

more Scientists discover 'dramatic flares, bursts from mysterious pulsar'

Necktie

power source

I find it interesting that they used the term "power source" if there is one thing I know about physicist's is that they chose their words very wisely. I bet that word is a clue to something yet to come.