Secrecy

Green-Moo

I read in a British article that the only part of FreeMasonry that members are bound not to reveal are the 'modes of recognition', although it's normal for details of the ceremonies to also be kept private. Is this the case for FreeMasons everywhere, or just the UK?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Modes of recognition and our obligations are the main ones , though we do not divulge anything that goes on behind close doors . There is really no secrets , everything can be found on the internet , the library and a bookstore . It's just you will not hear them from us .

cemab4y

Secrets of Freemasonry

ALL of the rituals, secrets, modes of recognition, etc. are all easily available on the internet, or in books. A couple of hours of research will make them all available to anyone who chooses to look them up.

The best kept secret in Masonry, is that there are no secrets.

mollyL

re modes of recognition

I was reading in a history of the Civil War that Gen. Armisted, a confederate, was mortally wounded at, I believe, the battle of Gettysburg. It was said that he flashed a mason sign and a Union man came and carried him off the field. I am interested in knowing if that is a usual thing in wartime, or highly unusual?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
There are many stories about brothers on opposing sides of an armed conflict helping one another out , giving special treatment and/or sparing their lives due to their masonic ties .

cemab4y

Masonry in wartime

There are many such cases. You should read 'House undivided', available from amazon.com it is the story of freemasonry during the american civil war. (or the war of yankee aggression).

In the POW camps in the civil war, the masons often sneaked food and medicine to imprisoned men. at a prison in Lake Erie, whenever a POW died, the local masonic lodge, attended to the burial, with masonic rites.

during a lull between a battle, sometimes masonic lodges met, under a flag of truce, with both Union and Confederate soldiers, meeting in lodge as brothers.

mollyL

I will definitely look for that book. It's kind of touching that the Masonic ties can overcome conflict and war.
As to the "War of Yankee Agression", though, aren't the victors the ones that choose the name of the war? ;)