Shriner or mason?

mollyL

Could you tell me what is the difference between masons and shriners? Are shriners masons with some kind of difference?

cemab4y

The Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, is an organization, composed of men who are Masons. Every Shriner is a Mason, but not all Masons choose to participate in the Shrine. If a man is a Shriner, and he drops out of Masonry, he must leave the Shrine as well.

Here is the home page for the Shrine:

Shriners - Welcome.

and here is an excellent "Cliff's Notes" description of the Shrine ,and the Shrine children's hospitals programs:

http://www.shrinershq.org/files/members/pdf/Mem_ShrinerPrimer.pdf

If you are located near a Shriner's hospital, I encourage you to visit the hospital, and observe the miracles that occur there. All medical care in our hospitals is FREE, no one is ever sent a bill for services. Transportation to the hospitals, and hospitality/meals for parents is also free.

Green-Moo

Thanks for those explanations. That's something that I'd also been confused about, but the fraternity inside a fraternity makes allot of sense.

mollyL

I had no idea that meals and transportation are free. Two less problems solved must feel heaven-sent. I used to go to the Shrine Auditorium in LA for their yearly circus. I have never visited a Shrine hospital before but I certainly know about their good works (two more than I thought!) Thanks for your thoughtful post.

cemab4y

The Shrine hospital program, treats the "whole person". With a childhood burn, there is often guilt, shame, and depression. Both for the child, and for the parents. The Shrine provides psychological counseling, and psychiatric services for free. All medical care, including prosthetic limbs, rehabilitation, wheelchairs, are all free. The child's home will be remodeled, with wheelchair ramps, and other modifications as needed, all free.

The Shrine is truly the "World's Greatest Philanthropy"!!

RoughAshlar

lately I've heard rumors that the shrine is thinking about taking the requirement of being a mason out... I think that might be the death of the shrine if they do. But thats probably an issue for a different thread.

cemab4y

There have been some discussions about the Shrine breaking off from Masonry, entirely, and being a separate 'stand-alone' organization. I do not think anything will ever come of these discussions. The Shrine was formed by masons, and although its statement of purpose and character are far removed from Craft Masonry, the Shrine is still a very important part of the Masonic experience (for Shrine-Masons).

If a break ever occurs, most (but not all) Masons will resign from the Shrine entirely, and that will be the end of the Shrine.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have a question . If they are in the Shrine for the right reason , which is to help children in need , why would they feel the need to leave if it made it's break from Freemasonry ?

RoughAshlar

I haven't joined the shrine but some of my friends that are have echo'd that sentiment. If the shrine breaks off from masonry they will leave the shrine. There are alot of people that wish to join the shrine for the wrong reasons. i.e. to "party" at the shrine... and the blue lodge acts as a buffer zone for them. My guess is they feel that the shrine would loose its purpose and nobility.

mark

I've found the thread quiet informative. Can some one pls point out the basic difference between the two?