Society for Creative Anachronism

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which may feature tournaments, arts exhibits, classes, workshops, dancing, feasts, and more. Our "royalty" hold courts at which they recognize and honor members for their contributions to the group.
Does anyone belong to this organization? Seems interesting, I wonder how authentic it really is though.

reviewer

I was interested in joining once but the costs involved seemed pretty steep and the rules arbitrary. I enjoy going to their events every so often though. I'm just not a member.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I was interested in joining once but the costs involved seemed pretty steep and the rules arbitrary. I enjoy going to their events every so often though. I'm just not a member.
How much where the dues? Are they different in all areas? A friend was talking to me briefly about it, saying I should join since I make my own Mead, wine and beer.

accer

I'm a longtime member and if you like Renaissance fairs you would love this. They jokingly say "The middle ages as they should have been". We have a great time.

reviewer

I don't remember the dues, but the costs involved typically were more with the gear, "garb" (i.e. costume), authentic(ish) supplies for camping, and so on. It's not a cheap hobby.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yeah, I guess a glass carboy and plastic buckets wouldn't be authentic for making mead.