Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt

Bill_F

I have been reading that there will be a new Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt. Any thoughts on if they would be recognized as "mainstream" to United States Grand Lodges?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I ran into this on another forum. Whoever it is is going about this the wrong way. They (or maybe just he) have announced this new grand lodge but there are no chartered lodges under any recognized GL or, for that matter, under this "GL". It seems they have claimed to have a Grand Lodge without any lodges which is not the way it's done. Freemasonry is still banned in Egypt as far as I know.

Bill_F

That's what they are saying, that it is banned, but not actually illegal, and that they are in talks with other Grand lodges, including England.
I agree, I always understood there had to be Lodges before a Grand Lodge. But they state that they are in the beginning stages so we will have to see. It would be nice to bring the Craft to somewhere it is needed.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My understanding is that a foreign GL must grant a charter to a group of Masons to form a lodge in the country. When a certain number of lodges form under the Foreign Gl, they can petition to form their own GL for the country. Then the new GL is chartered by the Foreign GL and can trace its charter back to UGLE eventually.

This seems like they created a web site and Facebook page and called themselves a GL. No charter. In my book, that spells clandestine and we should avoid dealing with them.

edwmax

I have been reading that there will be a new Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt. Any thoughts on if they would be recognized as "mainstream" to United States Grand Lodges?

Can You post a link to the new GL? This sound like a website of a Clandestine group that made claims of establishing an Egyptian GL a couple of years ago. I have to look them up again.

edwmax

I found the website. http://www.sgle.org/

There is a lot of borrowed content, but no info or content other wise about the Grand Lodge or any Lodge under its jurisdiction.

The Egyptian Lodge that is pictured on the home page is the Egyptian room of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania and is not part of the SGL of Egypt. ... A misleading picture, if one did not know this.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I found the website. http://www.sgle.org/

There is a lot of borrowed content, but no info or content other wise about the Grand Lodge or any Lodge under its jurisdiction.

The Egyptian Lodge that is pictured on the home page is the Egyptian room of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania and is not part of the SGL of Egypt. ... A misleading picture, if one did not know this.
Smells like a certain style used by a well known person notorious for starting his own Grand Lodges. He even uses the same pictures and everything.

edwmax

I think your are on to something. the website is hosted in the UK and the webmaster is a Canadian. So it seems to be misleading as to the location as being in Egypt or a GL in Egypt. ... I have seen mid-eastern posters reference the SGL of Egypt while trying to find an Egyptian Lodge to join for about a year now. So I question its legitimacy and whether or not they are misleading middle eastern men wanting to join Freemasonry.

There is NO legitimate and recognizable Memphis-Misraim GL. The legitimate owners (Gr O of France & College of Rites (US)) of the Rites has put it to sleep. But, this is another story if the Rites were ever legitimate to begin with. The owners simple acquired all rights to the MM Rite, then put it to sleep to end the debate of its legitimacy. If anything, the MM Rite was made legitimate by the assumption of all authority & control by the
Grand Orient of France on November 12th, 1862 from Marconis. The Rite was them put to sleep to end questions of legitimacy & recognition and to heal duped French Masons of the Gr O of France.

The MM rite in the US claimed solvency of its affairs separating themselves from any control by the Gr O of France which then added another point of argument of ita legitimacy. The MM Rite of the US did acquire their Charter and jurisdiction directly from Marconis before he transferred control to the Gr O of France. So the College of Rites (US) acquired all rights to the MM Rites of the two remaining slits in the US; then put it to sleep. This made any argument as to the MM Rites being legitimate 'null & void'.

edwmax

The Rites of Memphis Lodges in Roumania were closed August 15th, 1916 and were not reopened after WWI. There is no legitimate authority to reopen these Lodges under their original Charters .

edwmax

Thanks, most of the facts that i stated above can be found in the Heredom, vol 9 2001.

Regardless of what others claim, the Rite of Mizraim (Memphis) were the 'old degrees' of the Scottish Rite. This was the question of the its original legitimacy when the Rites were infringements of ET of the AASR or old Scottish Lodges.

Marconis was expelled (2nd time; the first from the Gr O of France) from his own Rites of Mizraim. He then created of the Rites of Memphis by using some of the same degrees & ritual from the Rites of Mizraim. Many of the Degrees of the Rites of Memphis were never wrote out ( by him anyway). ...So when the two merged later ...???... they were essentially the same anyway.

Secretary

Dear Brethren, allow me to respond to some of the questions listed on this forum. As Acting Secretary of SGLE, I just wanted to confirm the following to all:
  1. The Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt is under formation at the moment
  2. SGLE's establishment is based on 6 existing and 4 new Lodges. These Lodges are located in different geographies, including Egypt.
  3. Our aim is for regular recognition, we believe that regularity is one of the essences of practicing true Craft.
  4. Our Formation Council is made up of existing regular Brethren with Egyptian origin and/or Heritage, from across the world.
  5. Because of the political situation in Egypt and the region at the moment, we are having to address some issues with caution, so apologies for that - but we are definately not acting as a 'clandestine' organisation.
  6. The picture of the Egyptian Hall in PA is stipulated as such on the picture, and we have done so with the approval of the W:. M:. Bro. Richardson, of Equity Lodge #591 which meets at the Egyptian Hall in PA.
I hope this clarifies and dispels some concerns you may have. If you or any other Brethren anywhere have any questions or wish to clarify some speculation, please feel free to enquire further by sending an email to secretary@sgle.org.
S&F,
M. Fh.
Acting Secretary

edwmax

Dear Brethren, allow me to respond to some of the questions listed on this forum. As Acting Secretary of SGLE, I just wanted to confirm the following to all:
  1. The Sovereign Grand Lodge of Egypt is under formation at the moment
  2. SGLE's establishment is based on 6 existing and 4 new Lodges. These Lodges are located in different geographies, including Egypt. ....
Name the Lodges. This should not be a problem for the Lodge outside of Egypt.

1. ...
  2. ...
  3. Our aim is for regular recognition, we believe that regularity is one of the essences of practicing true Craft.
  4. Our Formation Council is made up of existing regular Brethren with Egyptian origin and/or Heritage, from across the world.
  5. Because of the political situation in Egypt and the region at the moment, we are having to address some issues with caution, so apologies for that - but we are definately not acting as a 'clandestine' organisation.
  6. The picture of the Egyptian Hall in PA is stipulated as such on the picture, and we have done so with the approval of the W:. M:. Bro. Richardson, of Equity Lodge #591 which meets at the Egyptian Hall in PA. ....
I see the Egyptian Hall picture has been removed from the front page. But still shown at http://www.sgle.org/?cat=20 ... No where is it indicated the Lodge shown IS NOT a Lodge under the SL of Egypt. Its very inclusion on your website implies the Lodge is a part of the SGL of Egypt. Very few views outside of the US will recognize this and certainly those middle Eastern men wanting to joint WILL NOT.

I hope this clarifies and dispels some concerns you may have. If you or any other Brethren anywhere have any questions or wish to clarify some speculation, please feel free to enquire further by sending an email to secretary@sgle.org.
S&F,
M. Fh.
Acting Secretary
Not hardly. there absolutely No information about your GL or any Lodge under your GL.

Secretary

Dear Edwmax, I'm sorry my answers aren't sufficient enough for you. Naming Lodges at this moment that haven't been regularly Warranted isn't prudent, and the image is moved from the front page of the website simply because the images are updated in order of their post date, so the most recent first. I hope that once our Lodge is formed you will find the information your are looking for, but until then we will conduct these matters as our Formation Council sees best fit.

S&F,

Winter

I've been here before
So, your website has misleading information. You cannot name the Jurisdiction that is actually giving the Warrant to form. And you wonder why we think this is not legitimate?

edwmax

Dear Edwmax, I'm sorry my answers aren't sufficient enough for you. Naming Lodges at this moment that haven't been regularly Warranted isn't prudent, and the image is moved from the front page of the website simply because the images are updated in order of their post date, so the most recent first. I hope that once our Lodge is formed you will find the information your are looking for, but until then we will conduct these matters as our Formation Council sees best fit.

S&F,
Exactly .... Nuff said.