Temporarily Out Of Balance

Do you have a personal mission statement?

• Total voters

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
For discussion: As we learn new things, gather more light, have "ah-ha" moments, how does that effect our due bounds, the length of our cabletow?

Today's DailyOM January 28, 2011

Temporarily Out Of Balance
Going Through A Phase

In the process of becoming, we can become out of balance temporarily, but know it is only a phase and will pass.

We are all almost always in the process of learning something new, developing an underused ability or talent, or toning down an overused one. Some of us are involved in learning how to speak up for ourselves, while others are learning how to be more considerate. In the process of becoming, we are always developing and fine tuning one or the other of our many qualities, and it is a natural part of this process that things tend to get out of balance. This may be upsetting to us, or the people around us, but we can trust that it's a normal part of the work of self-development.

For example, we may go through a phase of needing to learn how to say no, as part of learning to set boundaries and take care of ourselves. During this time, we might say no to just about everything, as a way of practicing and exploring this ability. Like a child who learns a new word, we want to try out this new avenue of expression and empowerment as much as we can because it is new and exciting for us and we want to explore it fully. In this way, we are mastering a new skill, and eventually, as we integrate it into our overall identity, it will resume its position as one part of our balanced life.

In this process, we are overcompensating for a quality that was suppressed in our life, and the swinging of the pendulum from under-use to overuse serves to bring that quality into balance. Understanding what's happening is a useful tool that helps us to be patient with the process. In the end, the pendulum settles comfortably in the center, restoring balance inside and out.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
I find my cable tow lengthens and shortens depending on what's going on. It lengthens in times of relative plenty, and shortens up in times of trouble.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I find my cable tow lengthens and shortens depending on what's going on. It lengthens in times of relative plenty, and shortens up in times of trouble.
I've thought about calling mine a yo-yo instead of cable tow.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Yes, my cabletow lengthens and shortens depending on the day, too. In times of balance, I think mine gets much, much longer: I'm ABLE to help more, to be more, to do more in those times.

That being said, I'm also on a personal search for 'the cabletow that is not affected by the vicissitudes of life', that basic and unalterable cabletow, that part of myself that is unmoved by the changes around me. I think I have that part; I think EVERYONE has that part - finding it, however, is (at least for me) the big trick.

That, of course, would be my core morality. Once identified and understood as completely as possible, it should then be possible to move its boundary outward, to circumscribe a new boundary. Or, at least, that's what I think today.

Duncan1574

How does one go about doing this?
For me I had to define who I am. I did this in several ways: creating a personal mission statement containing that things that are part of my core values, actions, and beliefs; studying the various religious/spiritual belief systems to find commonalities and things that resound with my soul; surrounding myself with people of various worldviews, opinions, and beliefs. Then loop through all of these on occasion in order to modify my personal mission statement.

Then I found Freemasonry and that has started a fresh loop and alignment with my mission statement. Interestingly it more of a refinement than a tidal shift. As I have stated before, I was destined to be a Mason.

CoachN

Builder Builder
For me I had to define who I am. I did this in several ways: creating a personal mission statement containing that things that are part of my core values, actions, and beliefs; studying the various religious/spiritual belief systems to find commonalities and things that resound with my soul; surrounding myself with people of various worldviews, opinions, and beliefs. Then loop through all of these on occasion in order to modify my personal mission statement.

Then I found Freemasonry and that has started a fresh loop and alignment with my mission statement. Interestingly it more of a refinement than a tidal shift. As I have stated before, I was destined to be a Mason.
If I were an EA and I came to you for guidance (and you agreed to assist me in this), how would you go about guiding me in this?

TrowelTalk

I developed this personal "mission statement about 10 - 12 years ago and revisit it on my birthday every year. It hasn't changed much since I first wrote it down.

"To share the joy and experiences of my life with my family and friends. To be happy; love openly; learn eagerly; share gladly; and work passionately."

You begin my listing your core values. Then develop a list of personal goals you wish to achieve in your life, based upon your stated values. From there you isolate the key components that will permit you to achieve those goals.

Bro. Donnie

Wow, guys...I have never thought of a personal mission statement...Thanks! For me balance is transitory and to be sparingly achieved, because without imbalance there is no movement. An object in balance with all opposing forces in equilibrium is static and existance is everything but static. My travels through life and Freemasonry have helped me to understand that transitory inequilibrium is true balance, maintaing the balance desired and imbalance required to remain just and upright as one travels along the level of time toward that undiscovered country...for me the trick is, while leaning balanced on the tightrope of life, how to anticipate when the wind changes direction.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Here are two that I developed for myself and my business two decades ago. Each word was chosen for personal reasons and most have deep significance for me.

I define "Mission" as: What we are (I am) here TO DO.

• Professional Mission (End-in-Mind): To contribute beneficially to the professional and personal excellence of people and the systems they employ to manifest fulfilling lives.
  • Personal Mission (End-in-Mind): To seek out and participate enthusiastically in professional and personal synergistic crossings.
I developed them while I was heavy into reading Steven Covey "7 habits" books.

I don't know if I would change anything at this time.

Duncan1574

If I were an EA and I came to you for guidance (and you agreed to assist me in this), how would you go about guiding me in this?
We would talk long enough to where we were comfortable discussing just about anything. Then I would ask you to go off by yourself with pen/paper and think hard about the things that being you joy, fulfillment, happiness, and things that you scared to do and to list them as they come out of your mind, then having exhausted the listing process to bring that list back to me for discussion to determine commonalities in function (say there is a series of items on your list that all have something to do with teaching or public speaking or whatever) then we distill the list down to your core values and growth possibilities. As you came to me as an EA, we would review the EA obligations and charge to see how Freemasonry could help in the fulfillment of those goals.

Duncan1574

-Personal Mission Statement

I will be successful at living my life to its fullest guided by my principles and I will achieve goals in accordance with those principles.

**** My principles ****

> I will balance my life using the concept of "First Things First" so that work does not encroach upon the rest of the equally important parts of my life.

> I will judge people as individuals not as part of a stereotypical grouping.

> I will build into others such that they are empowered to be the best they can be and live their lives as fully as they desire.

> I will love my life partner with the fervor that she deserves, spending significant amounts of time being with, listening to, and encouraging her.

> I will love my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren such that they have the liberty to become the best persons they can be, doing whatever makes them happiest , guided by their own principles and achieving self-determined goals in-line with those principles. I will be involved in their lives, proactively seeking opportunities to interact, build memories, traditions, and shared experiences.
> I will be a good friend, a person that can be depended on in good and bad times.

> I will maintain my body physically and mentally so I can live longer and better.

> I will celebrate all facets of life with a joyous, passionate spirit. (Polo, thx Abel)

> I will recognize defeat for the learning experience it is and move on from there, knowing that defeat is a symptom of truly living life to its fullest. (Pain is my friend, it tells me that I am still alive)

> I will work at the leading edge of my abilities and extend those abilities through experience, schooling, reading, and learning from others.