The Bible and Masonry

Loyalntrue

I was curious as to what the reference to Mathew7:7 means in relation to Freemasonry? Is Freemasonry only available to Christians or can men of diverse religious backgrounds join?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Freemasonry requires it's members to have a belief in God/Supreme being and this is all . Freemasonry advocates no sectarian faith or practice . Freemasonry is open to men of all faiths . This is why we do not converse about religion in lodge , so as not to offend men of one faith or another . We do however , hope that each man will follow his own faith and place his duty to his God above all other duties .

Mathew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you " . So in relation to Freemasonry , no Mason is allowed to ask someone to join , a man must ask a Freemason for a petition to become a Freemason . A man can not be led to Freemasonry , he must seek for Freemasonry of his own free will and accord . And after a man knocks , all that Masonry has to offer will be open to him .

lightning

Sounds like a fairly open organization. Not at all like what I've about you. This part of freemasonry sounds a bit like the U.S. itself. Freedom of religion.

Loyalntrue

Thanks Ashlar, your response was very thorough and clear. I have been very impressed with what I am finding so far. Religious autonomy is good.

Disciple

No wonder why the presidents who were members of this fraternity have a firm principle about God and freedom.

So what are the prerequisites of becoming a Free Mason? And is there a chapter for ladies who wanted to be a Free Mason? I'm just curious about this because this is a fraternity but there could be some ladies who wanted to join as well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
To be a Freemason one must be.....

18 to 21 depending upon the juridiction .
Of strong moral chacter .
Come well recommended by members of the lodge .

Though my jurisdiction does not recognize them , there is co-masonry that is open to both men and women . And their is all female Masonry which is open only to women . I can not converse with them masonicly speaking (in which I mean about Freemasonry only but I am more than welcome to talk with about anything else ) , but I can say that there are quit a few out there on the internet that are very serious about Freemasonry .

Tensolator

Rudyard Kipling wrote an essay about his time in Lodge, in India (he was raised at 17), and to paraphrase, he wrote while sitting in Lodge there were Hindus, Mohammodens, Buddhists and Christians.

When I was raised one of the brethren told me of a 3* he attended in Seattle where the brother used the Qur'an.

So the most basic answer to your question is, men of diverse religious backgrounds are eligible.

antonskv

3° Master Mason
Though my jurisdiction does not recognize them , there is co-masonry that is open to both men and women . And their is all female Masonry which is open only to women . I can not converse with them masonicly speaking (in which I mean about Freemasonry only but I am more than welcome to talk with about anything else ) , but I can say that there are quit a few out there on the internet that are very serious about Freemasonry .
Yeah, i found that out after being raised. Actually one of the old rites, Ancient and Primitive Rite of Memphis-Misraim, belongs to the group of non-recognized (or clandestine) "Freemasonries". I was very interested in it since that Rite is very much influenced by Hermetisism which is very interesting to me, but that was until i found out i actually cannot affiliate myself with them "Masonicly". Too bad, but i am one of those "serious" Masons, i wouldn't want to do something that interferes with Masonry that i am a part of.

But as far as regular lodges go... I think the big reason why some regions start doing things like allowing females to participate (not Eastern Star, but in actual male masonic lodges), is 'cause in some regions there is a problems with amount of members. A lot of Lodges are closing (or merging into other lodges) because of lack of participation.

But in last few years its been picking up. Masonry is getting a lot of new blood.

Lodge No 4 Veritas

Grand Chancellor SFL
" So in relation to Freemasonry , no Mason is allowed to ask someone to join , a man must ask a Freemason for a petition to become a Freemason . A man can not be led to Freemasonry , he must seek for Freemasonry of his own free will and accord . And after a man knocks , all that Masonry has to offer will be open to him ."

Well spoken Brother!

antonskv

3° Master Mason
" So in relation to Freemasonry , no Mason is allowed to ask someone to join , a man must ask a Freemason for a petition to become a Freemason . A man can not be led to Freemasonry , he must seek for Freemasonry of his own free will and accord . And after a man knocks , all that Masonry has to offer will be open to him ."

Well spoken Brother!
Yeah, that's why i smile every time my European friends from Finland (where i grew up) are telling me about how Masons in Helsinki are actively "recruiting" people supposedly for dark conspiracies.

"It's really not safe in our schools lately, Masons have been actively recruiting younger minds these last two years....." - after those words i can barely restrain myself from breaking out and laughing out loud.

ADD: Though... Helsinki Grand Lodge separated from NY Lodge which sponsored it, so who knows what they doing. Went to their site and saw that requirements we have here in US, and in Great Britain, are not upheld. Requirements for membership that is.... So who knows...

Lodge No 4 Veritas

Grand Chancellor SFL
Yeah, that's why i smile every time my European friends from Finland (where i grew up) are telling me about how Masons in Helsinki are actively "recruiting" people supposedly for dark conspiracies.

"It's really not safe in our schools lately, Masons have been actively recruiting younger minds these last two years....." - after those words i can barely restrain myself from breaking out and laughing out loud.

ADD: Though... Helsinki Grand Lodge separated from NY Lodge which sponsored it, so who knows what they doing. Went to their site and saw that requirements we have here in US, and in Great Britain, are not upheld. Requirements for membership that is.... So who knows...

:) I do not know what our finnish Brethren do, but alas, I know there is a strong antimasonic current there, influenced by conspiracy theories. I does now and then spill over on Sweden as well...unfortunatelly.