The Builders Book Discussion

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, I tend to forget the dates of hollidays that are not mine! We can postpone the start of the discussion till after Christmas!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Yeah, I tend to forget the dates of hollidays that are not mine! We can postpone the start of the discussion till after Christmas!
Bro. Winter: christ-mass is that holiday celebrated by that Jewish cult: the Christians. :D

1. The 'cult' thing is a quote from a Roman document of the time, that amoung other things called it a cult and depicted them as cannibals because ate their lord. History is writen by the victors.

2. It was created at the same time as the winter solstice to drag the people from the villages (Roman - Pagans)

G

Gary

How do we begin the discussions?
Winter will guide us along. Since he started the ball rolling, it's only fitting that he run the show (with moderating oversight from the FH staff).

I imagine after finishing the recommended chapter reading, we will start by feelings on the chapter, or related points of interest for discussion. I would also presume that there could be a Q&A session for those of us with questions.

I'm sure Winter is coming up with a basic outline, and will share as appropriate to keep the flow of discussion moving.

Winter

I've been here before
I hope that everyone had a fun time reading the beginning of the Builders by Bro. Newton. I have always enjoyed the language he uses.

Since we are just beginning this discussions, please feel free to give us some thoughts on the readings, whether you enjoyed it or not, if it made sense to you.

What did you think about his comment that whenever a human is building a structure, there is a spiritual component?

The Builders pg. 8: Of course, the first great impulse of all architecture was need, honest response to the demand for shelter; but this demand included a Home for the Soul, not less than a roof over the head. [6]Even in this response to primary need there was something spiritual which carried it beyond provision for the body; as the men of Egypt, for instance, wanted an indestructible resting-place, and so built the pyramids.

G

Gary

I'm still getting used to the way he writes. The jury is out as to if I like it or not.

To answer your question, I found it an interesting allegory. What literally can be a structure for our external bodies to seek shelter and grow in, is also emblematical of the structure we build for ourselves to nurture our souls and allow for spiritual growth.

The spiritual structure is supported by a strong foundation of understanding/ learning. Once established, it creates a suitable base upon which to build. Allowing for growth, shelter, and refreshment of the soul.

I've got some bits highlighted that I'll share later tonight that I found interesting. I'll wait for further discussion of your question first though.

G

Gary

Ruskin expounds with so much eloquence in his seven lamps of architecture in which he argues that the laws of architecture are moral laws, as applicable to the building of character as to the construction of cathedrals.
Those laws being Sacrifice, Truth, Power, Beauty, Life, Memory, and Obedience.

Interestingly, he holds that there is no such thing as liberty. Since it is by obedience to the laws of life and truth and beauty (boy, those sound familiar don't they!) that he attains what he calls liberty.

Jump in guys, the water is warm! You all DID do your reading right???? :D

Winter

I've been here before
I've been a fan of that quote concerning liberty for many years now.

The Builders Pg. 8: He holds that there is no such thing as liberty, and never can be. The stars have it not; the earth has it not; the sea has it not. Man fancies that he has freedom, but if he [8]would use the word Loyalty instead of Liberty, he would be nearer the truth, since it is by obedience to the laws of life and truth and beauty that he attains to what he calls liberty.

Duncan1574

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@freemasonhall.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Duncan1574

I too like his writing style, as a writer I find his word selection wonderful, that search for the perfect word to say as much as possible with the fewest letters.

Duncan1574

As for the question:
Is not the basis of Freemasonry that there is more to man and life than the physical, are we to be judging character (as esoteric and spiritual as it can get). We as speculative masons have taken the everyday tools of a stonemason and assigned deep symbolism and purpose to their form.