The plagues of Masonry?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ah , something of substance . I will get back to you on this while I ponder on what I am about to post .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I thought I'd break away from the mundane talk about rings, etc. The whole purpose of Masonry after all, is social discourse and study among Brothers. I imagine there will be little response, as few have the testicular fortitude to delve into serious conversation. But, it's worth a try.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
the social/service club mentality that seems to have infected Masonry since the big influx of members 50-60 years ago.
Zack , that was what I was going to post .

What I have been pondering on is the biggest plague on Freemasonry is the membership itself . Noticed I did not say "the Masons" themselves . That is because we do not have enough Masons anymore . When our lodges were flooded with men decades ago they turned our lodges into social/service clubs . And members who came in in the 70's and 80's , IMHO, really dropped the ball (not all of them mind you so do not jump all over me ) . They had a chance to wrest the hold of these lodges from these older members , take control and bring Freemasonry back to it's glory , but many went with the status quo , heck , they were happy with it .

We have become an eat and burp club . We come in and eat , read the minutes , the treasurers report , pay the bills and go home . Older members sit on the edge of their seats , staring at their watches because some big game is about to kick off . And here we have Young Masons who are disappointed when they learn this , and the seats on the sidelines remain empty . The answers some give to fill these seats are trivial things such as game/card nights , picnics , alcohol and so on and so forth .

We are not here to hold one fundraiser after another . That is not why we are here , if we are going to give to some charity , it should not be money from a fundraiser , but from our own wallets . Taking money from non-Masons to give to someone else (or to the very people who donated in the first place) is not charity . That is just moving other's money around in the community . Young Masons , like myself after I was Raised , tired QUICKLY of all these fundraisers . I could have remained with the Lion's club if that is what I wanted to do . But I have NO problem opening my wallet and tossing money into a hat for some needy cause . But for some reason , these old heads seem to think fundraisers are the thing to do , and most of the time , the money raised is for the operation of the lodge !

What we need is more enlightening talks , debates , lessons , papers presented etc; etc; . We need to add substance to our meetings and get away from this service/social club mentality . I have noticed that these young men coming in now are interested in Table/Emulation lodges , they want to know more about Freemasonry , they want to learn . They do not want to look outside of the lodge for more light when the lodge itself should be providing that enlightenment .

What saddens me the most is some WANT us to remain a service/social club and can care less about education . We can have both , BUT enlightenment/education should be the fore front of our lodge meetings . If we add something of substance to our meetings , then the Brethren will look forward to coming to lodge .

Now ..... FLAME ON !!!!

goomba

Zack , that was what I was going to post .

What I have been pondering on is the biggest plaque on Freemasonry is the membership itself . Noticed I did not say "the Masons" themselves . That is because we do not have enough Masons anymore . When our lodges were flooded with men decades ago they turned our lodges into social/service clubs . And members who came in in the 70's and 80's , IMHO, really dropped the ball (not all of them mind you so do not jump all over me ) . They had a chance to wrest the hold of these lodges from these older members , take control and bring Freemasonry back to it's glory , but many went with the status quo , heck , they were happy with it .

We have become an eat and burp club . We come in and eat , read the minutes , the treasurers report , pay the bills and go home . Older members sit on the edge of their seats , staring at their watches because some big game is about to kick off . And here we have Young Masons who are disappointed when they learn this , and the seats on the sidelines remain empty . The answers some give to fill these seats are trivial things such as game/card nights , picnics , alcohol and so on and so forth .

We are not here to hold one fundraiser after another . That is not why we are here , if we are going to give to some charity , it should not be money from a fundraiser , but from our own wallets . Taking money from non-Masons to give to someone else (or to the very people who donated in the first place) is not charity . That is just moving other's money around in the community . Young Masons , like myself after I was Raised , tired QUICKLY of all these fundraisers . I could have remained with the Lion's club if that is what I wanted to do . But I have NO problem opening my wallet and tossing money into a hat for some needy cause . But for some reason , these old heads seem to think fundraisers are the thing to do , and most of the time , the money raised is for the operation of the lodge !

What we need is more enlightening talks , debates , lessons , papers presented etc; etc; . We need to add substance to our meetings and get away from this service/social club mentality . I have noticed that these young men coming in now are interested in Table/Emulation lodges , they want to know more about Freemasonry , they want to learn . They do not want to look outside of the lodge for more light when the lodge itself should be providing that enlightenment .

What saddens me the most is some WANT us to remain a service/social club and can care less about education . We can have both , BUT enlightenment/education should be the fore front of our lodge meetings . If we add something of substance to our meetings , then the Brethren will look forward to coming to lodge .

Now ..... FLAME ON !!!!
What he said!

I like doing community outreach type of things. My first lodge is planning a Child ID event in April and I love it. What I hate is the lack of that Masonic mystery that you can almost see but never grasp. I echo the members aspect. I know I have seen brothers who know the work like the back of their hand, but don't know anything about Masonry. Heaven forbid we ever read about, research and discuss our Craft. If I had wanted to join a "fun" organization I would have joined the Elks. That is not what I was looking for. As a matter of fact I didn't know what I was looking for. But I started reading Masonic literature before I was initiated. In those pages I saw something. I guess it's kind of like gold you got to keep digging for it because it's burred in there and when it's found you are a rich man.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
What he said!

<snip> I know I have seen brothers who know the work like the back of their hand, but don't know anything about Masonry. Heaven forbid we ever read about, research and discuss our Craft.
Those are typically known as Parrot Masons. They actually think that the "Work" is the memorization part. They are a necessity in Lodge, for they are the keepers of the code for future generations to decipher.Keep in mind, not ALL ritualist's are Parrots. Some know the ritual, AND know it's true meaning.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Winter's lodge is where it's at , an Emulation Lodge . Limited number of members , papers presented , dressed to impress and attendance mandatory (Is that part correct Winter ?) . It is like the AMD , with the exception that you are invited to join the AMD , if you refuse to adhere to those rules , either go elsewhere or do not petition .

Now I am not saying attendance at lodge should be mandatory , but why pay dues if you never had any intention of coming to lodge in the first place ? We just awarded 50 year "service" awards not long ago and not one of these four men have ever been in a lodge since they were Raised , NOT ONCE ! They have no excuse as to why they never attended a regular lodge meeting because they have no idea what goes on in a lodge meeting .

Zack

Sad to say, but, at least around my parts, the majority of members are satisfied with their Masonic experience. They like things the way they are.
I welcome the contraction of membership numbers. Clear the deadwood. It will take some time but I think Masonry will eventually get back to its roots.
As to the aforementioned "parrot Masons", at least they are interested enough to learn "something" which is more than can be said for most.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sad to say, but, at least around my parts, the majority of members are satisfied with their Masonic experience. They like things the way they are.
I welcome the contraction of membership numbers. Clear the deadwood. It will take some time but I think Masonry will eventually get back to its roots.
As to the aforementioned "parrot Masons", at least they are interested enough to learn "something" which is more than can be said for most.

Spoken as the truth . I too welcome this decrease in membership numbers .

I also agree with the Parrot Masons , at the very least they are trying and we do have a need for them . I know some who know much about Freemasonry but are not good ritualists , and I know good ritualists who know very little about Masonry . Let the Parrots get them through the degrees and allow the knowledgeable Masons to teach them the deeper meanings .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
What do you feel the biggest detriment to Masonry is?
Hmmm.
How about those who think Masonry is tradition...not found in the ritual they have heard or read, but how their dad or grandfather thought Masonry should be, or how their Lodge "has always done it?"
This would include the racial attitudes that even northern US lodges clung to up to...maybe...25 years ago.

Beyond that, the feeling that it the buildings we meet in are more important to preserve than the Lodges that meet in them.

And the attitude that I have heard that anyone not believing in the inerrancy of the King James Version shouldn't be a Mason. No Catholics, no Jews, no Mormons, no Muslims, no Hindus, no freethinkers.

The feeling that numbers above three mean they are more important, and should override the Craft Lodge.

"I like my Masonry just like my whiskey: straight, with nothing added to it." [B. Franks]

S&F

goomba

Hmmm.
How about those who think Masonry is tradition...not found in the ritual they have heard or read, but how their dad or grandfather thought Masonry should be, or how their Lodge "has always done it?"
This would include the racial attitudes that even northern US lodges clung to up to...maybe...25 years ago.

Beyond that, the feeling that it the buildings we meet in are more important to preserve than the Lodges that meet in them.

And the attitude that I have heard that anyone not believing in the inerrancy of the King James Version shouldn't be a Mason. No Catholics, no Jews, no Mormons, no Muslims, no Hindus, no freethinkers.

The feeling that numbers above three mean they are more important, and should override the Craft Lodge.

"I like my Masonry just like my whiskey: straight, with nothing added to it." [B. Franks]

S&F
Men in my family have been Masons as far back as anyone can remember. Making me at least a 5th generation Mason. But as some have said this is not a good ole boy club. Our fraternity is MUCH more than that. Again if I had wanted that I would have joined the Elks. The night I was raised I commented on wishing the Masonic Bibles came in other translations than KJV and that did not go over well. I'm happy with my 3 degrees! After lodge one night me and another new MM were talking with an older brother. He hates when others try to impress you with the "higher" degrees and forget that there is no higher degree than MM! Me and two others from AL are talking about starting a educational dining club to fill some gaps for us.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have been thinking on something Bob mentioned "Tradition" and how we hear "that is not how we always done it " and as some say 'Freemason's are afraid of change" .

Let's look at the quote " That is not how we always done it !" . Since when ? Since the flood of men after WWII ? Is that what they mean ? When did this actually become "How we always done it" ? I have read an old copy of papers on Lodge etiquette from the late 1800's , early 1900's (hard copy in our lodge museum) and "How they always done it" NOW is just not in there . I have produced very old minutes and how they do things NOW was not in there . This only became a "tradition" when members started doing things wrong in the late 1940's and 1950's (or before ) and have carried on through the 60s , 70s , 80s , right up to now . I have told Brethren when I try to correct improper procedures ,"Brothers that is just flat out wrong !" and have taken heat for it and I am told those famous words "That is not how we have always done it !!" .

I do have some examples but would need this to be in a private/tyled section but I think many of us have heard those words more than once .

I do not fear change , we DO need change in the worse way ! What we need to change is that we need to get back to our roots . We need to get back to the days when Masons took pride in Masonry , took pride in doing things correctly .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I find our excess of other masonic things to do (appendant bodies) distracting. With our dwindling numbers we should draw back to our Blue Lodges, the core of what made us Masons in the first place. We have strayed from the path, but not far.