thinking of joining

cummins tuner

Vide, Aude Tace
hi guys,both my granfather and great grandfather was masons. both was good men,career railroaders and good husbands and fathers. the day before my grandfather passed he gave me 2 items and advice,the advice was..work hard,take care of your family and be one with the creator. and he said the last peice of advice i'd find out when the time was right. the 2 items was his masonic ring and a diamond ring. well i found that old worn mason's ring a feew weeks ago and i found what the last advice was. i was talking to a close friend whos is a mason the other day and the subject of joining came up. i rembered something the old man allways said, "you have to ask to be asked" but the more i think about how teh kind of men my elders were the more i see that im notrhing like 5the kind of men they was. they was great family men,great husbands,my marriage failed,altho i was a good husband. but the older i get the more i want to be part of somthing and i knwo the masons is a great ogranazation. my question is do you think i should petetion the lodge or just leave well enough alone? thanks for taking the time to read my yammering

jason

RoughAshlar

That is a decision that only you can make. For myself, I think joining was the 2nd best decision that I ever made. The 1st being marrying my wife. If you don't think that you are a good enough man, do you wish to be? Masonry is dedicated to making us all better men, and it does, but the effort comes from within each member to do so. Your the only person that can decide which steps you will take and where your path will lead.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I agree with RoughAshlar , this is a decision only you can make . Like he stated , it was one of the best decisions I have ever made and I have never regretted it once . Being divorced is not a black mark on your character . I've been divorced myself and have since remarried . Things sometimes just don't work out . As long as you are a law abiding citizen of good moral character then there is no problem .

You have shown an interest and have taken the time to post on here and that makes me think that you are leaning toward joining . I say talk to your friend some more , he can help you make an informed decision . And always remember this , you get out of Freemaonry exactly what you put into it .

cummins tuner

Vide, Aude Tace
thanks guys,i have made a descision and i have decided to petetion the lodge and we shall see where it goes from there. RoughAshlar,maybe i am a bit hard on my self. i do wish to be a better man and contrubuite some good back in to my community as well. thanks for the words.

Ashlar521,everything i do i do 110% im not one to half step anything i do. and i never expect more from somthing in renturn than i put in.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
thanks guys,i have made a descision and i have decided to petetion the lodge and we shall see where it goes from there. RoughAshlar,maybe i am a bit hard on my self. i do wish to be a better man and contrubuite some good back in to my community as well. thanks for the words.

Ashlar521,everything i do i do 110% im not one to half step anything i do. and i never expect more from somthing in renturn than i put in.

It's great to hear your going to petition a lodge for the degrees of Masonry .

Wasn't taking nothing away from you with my comment about getting out Masonry what you put in , so I hope you wasn't taking it the wrong way. This is something I tell all new Masons and those thinking about joining the Fraternity . Masonry is something you take from it what you will . To some , it is nothing more than a place just to get together and fellowship . To many other's Masonry makes you look inwards into yourself . To take the symbolism and the allegorical teachings and incorporate them into your daily life . Freemasonry has a lot to offer a man and there is much learn in the Fraternity .

Then there are those who become a Freemason , pay their dues every year and never step foot in a lodge after they are Raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason .

RoughAshlar

Thats great to hear, hopefully things go well for you so we can properly welcome you to the fraternity!

mndane

As others has mentions you get out of it as much as you put in to it. My favorite part is meeting other men of all ages and backgrounds, sitting down an enjoying a nice dinner together.
i am proud to say that many of my brothers also are becoming good friends of mine and we often spend together outside of the lodge.
Again, The beauty of our craft is that every man can customize it to fit his life, by that I mean that not to men interpret it the exact way.

cummins tuner

Vide, Aude Tace
my decision is final. im gonan get things in motion this week. ive put alot of thought into it and ive decided that its somthing i want to do for my self,to be part of somthing bigger. and in a way i feel its my right handed to me by my grandfather. he would be proud of this decision. i knwo i am.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I congradulate you on your choice to petition the most ancient and honorable fraternity know to man. As you have stated you father and grandfather were both members. I am sure both would be proud of your decision. As it was said before, It is only your decision to make. I am in agreement with all of the others as, You get out of it, what you put into it. Freemasonry stands firm on the premise of taking a good man and making him better. I know it has made me a better person. I hope you can obtain all you wish from our fraternity. Good luck with the journey, we all have taken the same steps.

Chris From California

Proud Master Mason
I thought the same thing when I first petitioned to be a Mason. Am I a good enough man? Will they say no?

They have helped turn me into a better man, I try to spend more time with my Wife I help out anyone that I can. I'm truly a better person. Sometimes I look at my ring and smile, this has been one of the greatest and best decisions I have ever made.

cummins tuner

Vide, Aude Tace
my friend at the lodge has been out on the train the past week. ill see him saturday at the truck pull and ill go from there. plus ive been busy as hell. summer is a busy time of year for the junk man lol

cummins tuner

Vide, Aude Tace
talked to my friend. hes gonan get the petetion for me this week so i can get that part done....well i made the first step lets hope that all goes well with the rest....

walls0stone

i think about how teh kind of men my elders were the more i see that im notrhing like 5the kind of men they was. they was great family men,great husbands,my marriage failed,altho i was a good husband. but the older i get the more i want to be part of somthing and i knwo the masons is a great ogranazation.
jason

My grandfather never said boo about it. He was a stand up man. His reputaion was so great that when my folks went all over looking for a loan to build a home (1979..no one had money) that based on my Grandfather's good name ALONE, the banks gave my parrents a hand. I know exacty what you are saying. I could not hold a match to my Grandfather's name.

I had thought about it, but after Grandfather's Death, I found his masonic things in a chest we were not allowed to open. It held cherished things from his life, love letters, army stuff, highschool deploma. Then I started down the road and am glad I did. I'll tell you that being around those men, in a place for men...not boys of body or in mind.. That I am motivated to do better and more than before. the company you keep and the things you do will have a profound effect on your life. To some men I know, it's keeping a spotless car....another group of brothers have made effort to use propor grammor. Personaly, I have tried hard to remove the expretion "LIKE" from my speach unless I mean to say, "as if".

To join and to consistantly attend events or spending time with such men is a great way to improve upon ones own self. Good luck.