tsunami alert

mollyL

As I sit at my computer desk the town tsunami alert is going off as it always does on the last Friday of the month. The alarm is a single note going up and down the scale. The all-clear signal is their version of Big Ben playing the hours. This is something set up just a few years ago and although it's never been used for any alert, it gives those who need it some kind of assurance. Does anyone else have some kind of alert that your "founding fathers" have tested regularly? What is it called?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
No alerts here in Fl. We can pretty much tell when a hurricane is coming. And unless you are unintelligent or special circumstances apply, you can usually get out of the way, fairly easily.

In New York, I lived close enough to a Nuclear Power plant that we had a signal thingy on a post down the street. But never heard it even so much as beep.

Green-Moo

No tsunami or hurricane warnings here, though we have a hospital (prison!) for the criminally insane not too far away & it has a siren to signal break outs which it tests every Monday morning.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No tsunami warning , but the city fire siren goes off at 9:45 every night for the curfew of those kids under 16 . Not that the curfew is enforced .

mbtaluka

No warnings in our area too, didn't hear any information or alerts too. Not a single warning of any kind in our area.

mollyL

Thanks for all of your responses. I certainly would want some sort of alarm if I lived close to a criminally insane hospital! The curfew alarm reminded me of when I was a kid in LA every night a TV station (can't remember which one)played a tape of a man with a very deep and impressive voice say:"Parents, it's ten o'clock. Do you know where your children are?" Funny the memories that are evoked!:)

Green-Moo

I certainly would want some sort of alarm if I lived close to a criminally insane hospital!
It's the hospital that housed the Yorkshire Ripper!

The alarm was set up in the 1950s after an inmate escaped & mudered a local girl.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Weird you mentioned the Yorkshire Ripper , I was just reading about Peter Sutcliffe and supposedly how he was only a copycat .

When I was a teen , we used to live close to a Federal prison and they had a public alarm when there was an escape . I can't believe I forgot about that .

mollyL

The Yorkshire Ripper! Wow! Glad they added the alarm, but why do they wait to do it after a poor soul was killed. And I hope the fences are extra high!:eek:

Green-Moo

It also housed some very nasty women too, but they shut the women's section last year.

When the alarm goes off, local schools go onto red alert and they set up a roadblock around the nearest village. We actually lived miles away when I was at school, but because the hospital is set on sort of moor land it's possible to get an awfully long way from it cross country without ever coming across a town, then pop up in the village.

Just as a point of interest, it used to house Dr William Chester Minor, the former US Army physician who spent 38 years in the hospital after killing a man outside his house in London after going insane. He was a major contributor to the first Oxford English Dictionary whilst a resident.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I watched a show , I think on the History Channel International, a few months ago on Broadmoor . It was about the womens side of it .

mollyL

Quite a pretty building, actually. I'm assuming it's nicer on the outside than the inside.:rolleyes: I had never heard of that Dr Minor. Did he go insane quite quickly? It seems that highly intelligent people have a gene in them that not only makes them smart, but also a bit mad. Strange...:rolleyes:

Green-Moo

It seems that highly intelligent people have a gene in them that not only makes them smart, but also a bit mad. Strange...:rolleyes:

So I've ... blibble squeak pop ... heard ... dribble slobber .. Molly :D:D

In answer to your question, Broadmoor is a lovely place on the outside but from my brief visits there (in the course of work, not as an inmate!!) I can confirm that the bits I've seen are in that grim style so favoured by hospitals and schools all over.

mollyL

Green, I've always thought *arf* we had a lot *bleat* in common...:Dtwitch:D:D!!
Yeah, that institutional fashion, guess it's the same all over, no matter what the exterior looks like.

Green-Moo

There's some universal rule, known only to institutional designers, that obliges them to use that horrid green shade as much as possible. They're able to win extra design points if they're able to include that lumpy paint that looks like it's had old oatmeal stirred through & skins your elbows if you bump against it.