Veterans Organizations

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
To be clear , I have nothing against non-veterans , it is just there is a certain bond that veterans share . Even across the different branches .

And married to a Woman Marine ( I think they no longer go by that moniker , but I am old school , sorry ) you deserve all the rights and benefits of a veteran LOL . WMs' that outrank you can be VERY scary when they unload on your butt !!!!!

My wife told me about the time that she got to witness a female Gunnery Sgt. (also a DI) go ballistic on a male Marine. The brass, rank, and belt went flying, and she proceeded to kick his butt in front of his buddies. Yup, I agree.

jaya

I was a member of DAV and American Legion. The requirements to join the American Legion as posted on their website are:

Eligibility Requirements for American Legion Membership

If you are currently on active duty, serving the United States honorably, anywhere in the world, or have served honorably during any of the following eligible war eras, we invite you to become a member of The American Legion.
  • Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)
  • Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
  • Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
  • Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
  • June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
  • Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
  • April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)
You can join the Auxiliary (A support organization but different from the Legion) if you meet the following:

Eligibility Requirements for American Legion Auxiliary Membership
A woman who is eligible for membership in The American Legion is also eligible to join the American Legion Auxiliary.
The mother, wife, daughter, sister, grand-daughter, great-grand-daughter, or grandmother of members of The American Legion, and deceased veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces during the listed war eras.

• Aug. 2, 1990 to today (Gulf War / War On Terrorism)
• Dec. 20, 1989 to Jan. 31, 1990 (Panama)
• Aug. 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon / Grenada)
• Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War)
• June 25, 1950 to Jan. 31, 1955 (Korean War)
• Dec. 7, 1941 to Dec. 31, 1946 (World War II)
• April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 (World War I)

If they are going against that, it needs to be brought to the attention of the state commander or national.

I did try to join the VFW but am not able to since I was never actually in theater. I was an intel analyst during Desert Storm and did most of my job from here. The war ended 2 days before I was supposed to go over and my orders got changed. Even though I did a support role directly for Desert Storm, I am not eligible for VFW since I never actually set foot in Kuwait.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Do not care enough about any of them to take it up with the higher ups . Around here it is like the Elks and the Moose , just a private club for the bar flies to sit and drink cheap beer from a can .

credo

Around here it is like the Elks and the Moose , just a private club for the bar flies to sit and drink cheap beer from a can .
Same here. I do support the VFW state & national office efforts, though. With many politicians ignorant on veteran issues, the VFW & Legion is needed to keep the legislatures involved in passing/funding veteran issues.