MM Topic VSL passages

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
As an American MM, my Lodge has a King James Bible upon the altar. Brother Winter has stated that they have several VSLs upon their's.

The HB has 3 passages that are used along with the 3 degrees: Psalm 133, Amos 7:7-8, Eccles. 12:1-7.

So, the question is this: What are the passages used in the other VSLs?:confused:

G

Gary

And to add to your question: What HB passages are used in UGLE? If I remember correctly, they are different. I'm not sure though...

I heard someone say that the passages Brother D mentioned are only suggestions and not a requirement.... a Lodge may choose different ..... I could not find any required verses in the Indiana masonic law book...but the ones Brother D mentioned are the ones we use as well...

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Those passages listed are included in our cipher book and I saw no notation to alternatives.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Same here. My SW is Jewish and he told me the ones he used. I have forgot them however. We have the Muslim members at our lodge but no one can remember as it was over 10 years ago.

johnj1582

I'd be really interested to see what others have used from other VSLs for the various degrees. All I have ever seen in a master's lodge is a KJV, and the above mentioned verses.

edwmax

This same discussion occurred on another forum awhile back. In an Arabic/Islamic Lodge, I understand these are the verses used.

For the Entered Apprentice: Surah 3:103
For the Fellow Craft: Surah 2:255
For the Master Mason: Surah 85:12-16

This same discussion occurred on another forum awhile back. In an Arabic/Islamic Lodge, I understand these are the verses used.

Is "Surah" a single book.... or does it have a different meaning?

cemab4y

Recommended Surahs from the Holy Qu'Ran

The Grand Lodge of Indiana, has recommended these readings from the Holy Qu'Ran, when a Muslim man is taking the Craft Degrees:

For the Entered Apprentice Degree

And hold fast all together, by the Rope which God stretches out for you, and be not divided amongst yourselves; and remember with gratitude God's favor on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in Love, so that by His Grace, ye became Brethren; and ye were on the brink of the Pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth God make clear His Signs to you: that ye may be guided.

For the Fellow Craft Degree

God! There is no god but He, -- the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him, nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there that can intercede except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).

For the Master Mason Degree

Truly Strong is the grip of thy Lord. It is He Who creates from the very beginning, and He can restore (life). And He is the Oft-Forgiving, full of loving-kindness, Lord of the Throne of Glory, Doer (without let) of all that He intends.

-----------

The Holy Qu'Ran is divided into "Surahs", which approximately correlate to the "Verses" of the Holy Bible. The Surahs cited above are:

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
The Grand Lodge of Indiana, has recommended these readings from the Holy Qu'Ran, when a Muslim man is taking the Craft Degrees:

For the Entered Apprentice Degree

And hold fast all together, by the Rope which God stretches out for you, and be not divided amongst yourselves; and remember with gratitude God's favor on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in Love, so that by His Grace, ye became Brethren; and ye were on the brink of the Pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth God make clear His Signs to you: that ye may be guided.

For the Fellow Craft Degree

God! There is no god but He, -- the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him, nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there that can intercede except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).

For the Master Mason Degree

Truly Strong is the grip of thy Lord. It is He Who creates from the very beginning, and He can restore (life). And He is the Oft-Forgiving, full of loving-kindness, Lord of the Throne of Glory, Doer (without let) of all that He intends.

-----------

The Holy Qu'Ran is divided into "Surahs", which approximately correlate to the "Verses" of the Holy Bible. The Surahs cited above are:

Thank you this is good information to have.