What a non-Mason should know?

dax

I’m just curious. To non-Masons like me who wants to join out of curiosity, Freemasonry remains a mystery. What things can you share about Freemasonry?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If you can , pick up a copy of "Freemasons for Dummies" by Chris Hodapp or "The Complete Idiots Guide to Freemasonry" by Brent Morris , they will give you a general idea about Freemasonry and what goes on . You can also click on the "Home" page above and it will give you some basic info on Freemasonry .

I can go on and on as to what I get from Freemasonry like I now have Brothers who are their for me when I need them , I have learned to be more patient and understanding , I am more giving of myself etc; etc; . Each one of us takes something different away from what we have learned in the degrees . If you take what is given to you during the three degrees (Entered Apprentice , Fellow Craft and Master Mason) , try to understand them and put it to use , you can learn to be a better man . If you only go through the motions , day dream during the degrees and/or join for the wrong reasons , then you will take nothing away and leave the lodge the same man you came in as . It's all up to the individual , you get out of Freemasonry exactly what you put into it .

Do your research on Freemasonry and see if this something you want to truly take part in . Many who have petitioned simply out of curiosity have never advanced through the degrees because it takes some time and dedication on your part to put the material that will be presented to you too memory and to give it back in open lodge in front of all the Master Masons who are present (from memory) to become a Master Mason . Now some have moved on through the degrees and became valuable members of their lodges , but many have found it was not what they expected and were never seen again . Now mind you , I am not saying this will be the case with you , just a general statement from my own experience .

G

Gary

I agree with Ashlar. Freemasonry is often described as "a system of morality, veiled in allegory, illustrated by symbols".

Think of it as a fraternity dedicated to making good men better. The memorization work teaches solid moral principals.

I think what may discourage the merely curious from continuing to Master Mason is that it is actually work. Not simply a matter of joining and getting a title.

Do some research first before deciding. I read the Dummies guide Ashlar spoke of, and actually talked with some Masons about what they got out of the fraternity. I found it to be well worth my time.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I will agree the work is hard to advance. It takes time and dedication. But for me, it was a great time. I still remember our meetings and the bonding that happened during them.

My brother watched a lot of the History Channel and National Geographic stuff. I lent him my copy of Freemasonry For Dummies, but he was afraid it was starting to spoil the experience so he gave it back.

Coxman

There are many books, articles, web sites about our fraternity. Some good, some not. Do not join just out of curiosity. That will not get you anywhere. Masons make a difference in the world, we serve God and mankind. Once you join you should realize that you have made a commitment to serve, aid, make a difference. I think every Brother gets something different from it, yet Masonry does have an end result.