What's your thing ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
What really " bangs your shutters " about Masonry ? I know for some it's the rich history of Freemasonry , for others it's the estoric side of things . Some use the Fraternity simply as a means to get to the Shrine or one of the other appendant bodies . While others , it's the fellowship . While I do very much enjoy reading on the history and the symbolism of Masonry , I'm not one to regurgitate up another man's thoughts or pontificate at great lengths on our past . On those estoric things , I will give my own thoughts , feelings and conclusions as simple as they may be , but my own none the less .

My thing is the ritual , I live to do ritual work . I love to see it when it is done properly and I love to deliver a lecture with passion to a candidate who truly cares in what you are saying . In the first 2 degrees I give all the lecture's from memory from the Bible and Apron lecture to the Middle Chamber and Letter G lecture's the Charges and everything in between . Not to please those on the sidelines or to appease the wishes of my Grand Lodge or for my own satisfaction for that matter , but for the candidate . It doesn't matter to me as much if those on the sidelines thought I did a great job , it's the candidate I want to be impressed ,I get great joy in hearing that we have given him so much to think about and we have really lit a fire under him to gain more light . He deserves the best we have to offer and as long as I am able I will deliver .

So tell me , what lights your firecracker , what in Masonry really cocks your pistol ? So now if you will excuse me , I just glanced out the window and I think one of my dogs I just let outside is eating yellow snow and I need to inform him of what a disgusting habit that is !

Green-Moo

I can't speak as a FreeMason myself, but my interest in FreeMasonry is really just because the world is such a crappy place at times that it is interesting to consider an organisation that does so much good on both an individual and community level.

That's not a very well written explanation I'm afraid, I'm not having a very fluent sort of a day! I'm sure you get my gist however.

mollyL

Like Green, I'm speaking as a non-Mason, but I think there are two things that light my firecracker about Masonry. First, like Ashlar, I adore ritual and splendid ceremonies, especially ones that speak to something grand within our souls. Second, there is the sublime light that seems to light the path of Freemasons. History indicates that a deep current of free thought and enlightenment has survived the darkest times because of Masonry.

cemab4y

Masonry

Many things about our Craft appeal to me. Most importantly, it is being part of something bigger than yourself. Belonging to an ancient and honorable fraternity, with a splendid and beautiful tradition of service to mankind, is very important.

I live in Iraq. I had to leave my family, and all of my personal connections back home. Here in Iraq, I can participate in the same Craft, and associate with the same wonderful individuals that I have participated with in the past. I am very excited about getting a lodge underway here.

I have participated in a number of the appendant bodies in the past. When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I was in 5 Shrine clubs, and president of one of them. I also enjoy the Scottish Rite (When I am in the USA). One of the great things about Masonry, is that you can move between the appendant bodies, and participate in as many as you like, when your situation permits.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I found it well spoken on both your parts , especially for non-masons . Green-Moo , your point was made perfectly . Yours also MollyL , and you get extra points for using the phrase " Light my firecracker" . My wife hates all my "hillbilly sayings" , as she calls them .

RoughAshlar

What really gets me about masonry is the fraternal bonds, the sinsear smiles and trust I feel amongst my bretheren. Beyond that nothing else really matters, although I must confess a sence of smug satisfaction after conducting a peice of work without needing a prompt, its always nerve racking, public speaking.