Which is more important ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I know this has been brought up before but I am to lazy to search through all the old threads . This is on the heels of Windrider's thread......

As I stated in that thread , when we put on a MM degree , the brethren come out of the woodwork and fill the lodge . But hold a called meeting for an EA or FC degree and the Brethren can not be bothered with that .

I was lucky , my EA degree was conferred on a stated meeting , so there was a great crowd . But I have called meetings to confer the EA degree and the bare minimum shows up . And we wonder why some EAs' never come back . If we can not take the time to show our support and fill the sidelines to welcome and support him , then why should he come back ?

Each degree is just as important as the next , but the EA is the first time a man stands within the body of a just and lawfully constituted lodge . What do you think runs through a new Mason's mind when he looks around and sees nothing but officers and all the sideline seats empty ? I know what I would think , "Boy these men do not care" . I think that as a long time Master Mason .

Thoughts ?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The EAs I've had the pleasure of assisting have all been so dazzled by the experience that they wouldn't really know if anybody was on the sidelines. When we gather for fellowship after the meeting, that's when the brethren are most sorely missed.

Zack

We have varied both time and day for the degrees and found that Saturday mornings in the winter months seem to be better attended regardless of the degree. We are a daylight lodge and have alot of snowbirds in attendance.

There are no lodge meetings around us on Wed. evenings and Fri evenings are slow, masonically speaking. We have done degrees early, 7:00 pm, with light refreshment afterwards with varying success.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The EAs I've had the pleasure of assisting have all been so dazzled by the experience that they wouldn't really know if anybody was on the sidelines. When we gather for fellowship after the meeting, that's when the brethren are most sorely missed.

How would they not know anyone is or is not on the sidelines ? I was amazed with my EA degree myself but I still took the the time to take in my surroundings and would have really been flummoxed to see an empty lodge room . Is this what they told you or are you making an assumption ?

Not arguing , just curious .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We have varied both time and day for the degrees and found that Saturday mornings in the winter months seem to be better attended regardless of the degree. We are a daylight lodge and have alot of snowbirds in attendance.

There are no lodge meetings around us on Wed. evenings and Fri evenings are slow, masonically speaking. We have done degrees early, 7:00 pm, with light refreshment afterwards with varying success.

We are not allowed to do any work on Wed. , church night .

goomba

In the EA degree the new brother is introduced to Masonry. Likewise when we meet a person for the first time, with Masonry first impressions are huge. The 1st degree is my favorite. Going from Mr. to Bro.!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
How would they not know anyone is or is not on the sidelines ? I was amazed with my EA degree myself but I still took the the time to take in my surroundings and would have really been flummoxed to see an empty lodge room . Is this what they told you or are you making an assumption ?

Not arguing , just curious .
I was exaggerating, of course. What I was trying to say is I believe that after the degree when we are gathered for fellowship is the time when the new Mason really starts building the bonds of friendship and brotherly love. When the brethren flee from the lodge as soon as they get their aprons back in the box or don't bother to show up at all, those new friendships don't form.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I was exaggerating, of course. What I was trying to say is I believe that after the degree when we are gathered for fellowship is the time when the new Mason really starts building the bonds of friendship and brotherly love. When the brethren flee from the lodge as soon as they get their aprons back in the box or don't bother to show up at all, those new friendships don't form.

Ah , I see . Needed a nap yesterday .

What you say is true , I have seen that very thing .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
When our minutes are read, they end with 'The brethren met in Mosser Hall for food and fellowship". Um, NO. We stand around and talk in the Lodge for a bit and then everyone scoots. (Mostly because they are O L D and 9pm is pretty late for most of them).

Josh

When I went through my EA degree, there were the officers, 2 guys in like seats on the side behind desk ( one was like the money guy or something ) and i honestly don't remember seeing anyone on the sidelines , and after we gathered for ice cream/desert in the other room and we filled a few seats around a round table, it did not bother me at all because the men that were there, were good men, and meeting them was great, and they were some of the men I've already met/knew. Maybe it should have bothered me considering it was in bold letters for weeks on the lodge website, there really is not to many excuses why out of our 277 lodge members ( 278 including me ), only me and the officers were there, but hey, at least I know the men that were there are serious and the guys that actually care about the craft, such as myself. I mean the more I see, the more I learn, the more intrigued I am. I mean one of the guys ( my now mentor ) invited me to bonfires and such the next couple days to hang around and get to talk some BS and get to know each other. (he also passed me down his EA ring that night). That man's one actions spoke for the missing members of the lodge and I wouldn't of had it any differently to be honest ( RAMBLING, IM DONE LOL ) My 2 cents/experience on the question. I still came back :)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I was looking through some old minutes of my lodge and back in the 60's when they had degree work , did not matter which degree , they had to turn brethren away because there was no more room for them in the lodge . And my lodge room can seat 150 easily . TODAY , as I said , counting heads with my fingers crossed .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
When I went through my EA degree, there were the officers, 2 guys in like seats on the side behind desk ( one was like the money guy or something ) and i honestly don't remember seeing anyone on the sidelines , and after we gathered for ice cream/desert in the other room and we filled a few seats around a round table, it did not bother me at all because the men that were there, were good men, and meeting them was great, and they were some of the men I've already met/knew. Maybe it should have bothered me considering it was in bold letters for weeks on the lodge website, there really is not to many excuses why out of our 277 lodge members ( 278 including me ), only me and the officers were there, but hey, at least I know the men that were there are serious and the guys that actually care about the craft, such as myself. I mean the more I see, the more I learn, the more intrigued I am. I mean one of the guys ( my now mentor ) invited me to bonfires and such the next couple days to hang around and get to talk some BS and get to know each other. (he also passed me down his EA ring that night). That man's one actions spoke for the missing members of the lodge and I wouldn't of had it any differently to be honest ( RAMBLING, IM DONE LOL ) My 2 cents/experience on the question. I still came back :)

I find the lack of attendance at your initiation rather disappointing. Your mentor didn't speak for the Lodge that night, his actions spoke for himself as a Mason. The lack of ANYONE on the sidelines spoke volumes for your Lodge. if I were the WM of your Lodge, I would have been really ticked off. The men who put on the degree, did so because they care and because they were obligated to do so. Otherwise they would have sent you to another Lodge for courtesy work. I guess we need to start advertising every degree as a MM, and that way the sidelines will be packed. Once they are there, THEN tell them it's an EA or FC degree. Pathetic.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I guess we need to start advertising every degree as a MM, and that way the sidelines will be packed. Once they are there, THEN tell them it's an EA or FC degree. Pathetic.
I wish I had thought of that , keep them guessing . And IT IS pathetic .

You know , due to my position I am expected to attend as many degrees in my district as I can . And I do , do I make them all ? No , but I at least TRY . There are days after having traveled to one lodge or another for two weeks straight that I just want a few days off to sit at home and just DO NOTHING and not think about Masonry . But I drag myself off the couch , put on a suit , fill my tank up yet again and go to these degrees to support these new Masons .

If I can do it , then the members of these new Masons' own lodges can too .

I , as (Past) Master of my lodge , told them after a couple of EA degrees with next to no attendance , that if they do not come out and support these new candidates then I will QUIT conferring them on CALLED meetings and just start putting on the degrees at our stated meetings . And the degree work will be the first thing I do so they all can not sneak off , instead of lodge business first THEN degree work . They took the threat serious and started coming to the called meetings , not huge numbers but much better than before .

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Wow, this makes me feel lucky. My EA had a lot of members and even some GL officers. Same with my FC, which also included a GL officer from Mexico. I am doing my best to return the favor and attend all the degrees that I can. IMO, it's part of the OB. Perhaps not written, but in spirit. Too bad others don't feel that way.

jaya

I do not think that one is more important than the other. Each degree is important. We tend to have more people on for a 3rd only because it takes a lot more to put it on. We actually have good turnouts for most of our degrees. We do a good job of making sure we schedule them when there are a good number of people available.