Terry1955

I too have been appointed Senior Deacon of my Lodge. The Junior Deacon's Chair was a blast this past year and was gret training in Rod and Floor Work. You had just enough ritual to get you used to speaking in front of a large crowd. I look forward to Senior Deacon and have started studying already. I get installed this Sunday.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I too have been appointed Senior Deacon of my Lodge. The Junior Deacon's Chair was a blast this past year and was gret training in Rod and Floor Work. You had just enough ritual to get you used to speaking in front of a large crowd. I look forward to Senior Deacon and have started studying already. I get installed this Sunday.
Congrats Terry .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
NO MC lecture for me:eek:.....our Sec does that. Hes the only person in the Lodge that knows it.

I am currently on the investigation committee,mentoring new Brothers, been asked to be the county rep for the SR, I am a full time student besides learning the SD work, I have two 10 year olds in my house....and sole income for the house ( notice I didnt say I am the only one working in my house.....she reads this forum sometimes and knows my screen name....I am not a dummy). Learning the MC lecture is something that might come later in my journey.
[STERN LECTURE MODE] Now look at what you typed:
our Sec does that. Hes the only person in the Lodge that knows it.
This is a consistent problem I have seen in every Lodge I've belonged to (or visited). ONE Brother knows a lecture. What happens when that ONE Brother gets ill, or cannot attend, or goes to the Celestial Lodge?

Your Grand Lodge will have published a rota of the degree parts you should know in whatever position you sit in. Make sure you know them. Work overtime to catch up, if necessary, but know your parts! If we all did this (and the Good Lord knows I'm as guilty as anyone on this account - I've forgotten more ritual than I care to think about) then our Lodges would operate more smoothly, our cameraderie would double and redouble, we'd have even more opportunity to become better Masons by thinking about the meaning of the stuff we're learning and saying! [/STERN LECTURE MODE]

Congrats on your appointment, Brother! Have a wonderful year!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am the only Brother in my Lodge who knows and can deliver the Middle Chamber lecture and I am the first in my lodge since the 1950's to be able to learn it and put it on .

I tend to agree , many in our lodges start relying on a handful of brethren to deliver these lectures or put on degrees . Also a problem is some Brothers think they "own" these lectures and no one else should be delivering them . I would be more than happy to relinquish this lecture to a younger Brother and be there just to back him up .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I agree with that Ashlar, my lodge has over 300 members, and I think there are currently only 10-12 of us that can confer all 3 degree's in Blue lodge. That means the calling begins when we get a new candidate as to whom can and will attend to deliver the degrees.

Patrick
I did notice my grammatical error in my sentence and I have required myself to write it correctly 100 time. As far as the lectures go, I have not heard of any being assigned to a particular chair. Here, we have Brothers that have learned the lecture do that part even if they are on the side lines. In a small lodge like mine, if you had to learn a particular lecture (the MC for example) our SD chair would never be filled. We sometimes have to rely on Brothers from other Lodges and we are very grateful for their assistance. Our Sec is called to do the MC lecture for other lodges too...in small town USA, you have to adapt and over come.
So, it is not that I am lacking off on the lecture. I am just picking up a different part of the puzzle to keep our Lodge going......for example....I have 3 Brothers I am mentoring in various degree levels, learning the basic SD work, we have three candidates to investigate( yes I am on the investigation committee too) and will be the mentor for them as well and in Jan, we should be getting two more candidates....so I could have seven people to mentor between now and spring ....not to mention I have been asked to be SR county rep, I am a fulltime student, I have two kids (10y/o) and work too. So, I will wait a while before taking on anymore....besides, our Sec takes pride with the fact that he knows the MC lecture....

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Patrick
I did notice my grammatical error in my sentence and I have required myself to write it correctly 100 time. As far as the lectures go, I have not heard of any being assigned to a particular chair. Here, we have Brothers that have learned the lecture do that part even if they are on the side lines. In a small lodge like mine, if you had to learn a particular lecture (the MC for example) our SD chair would never be filled. We sometimes have to rely on Brothers from other Lodges and we are very grateful for their assistance. Our Sec is called to do the MC lecture for other lodges too...in small town USA, you have to adapt and over come.
So, it is not that I am lacking off on the lecture. I am just picking up a different part of the puzzle to keep our Lodge going......for example....I have 3 Brothers I am mentoring in various degree levels, learning the basic SD work, we have three candidates to investigate( yes I am on the investigation committee too) and will be the mentor for them as well and in Jan, we should be getting two more candidates....so I could have seven people to mentor between now and spring ....not to mention I have been asked to be SR county rep, I am a fulltime student, I have two kids (10y/o) and work too. So, I will wait a while before taking on anymore....besides, our Sec takes pride with the fact that he knows the MC lecture....
We have a coded version of the ritual (only to AID the memory, of course!) and it specifies the Senior Deacon delivering the Lecture of the Fellow Crafts Degree.
I've asked the incoming SD if he'd like to learn it and he turned me down.
I've heard our present SD deliver that lecture, when he was a member of the lodge across town, so I am assured he knows it.

In NC (AF&AM) an officer should really be trained to take his Class B ticket (Certified Instructor) after learning the openings and closings in the chairs, as he is supposed to do the Winding Staircase Lecture as SD, then would only need to learn the 1st & 3rd lectures to gain his Class A (Certified Lecturer) ticket.
Then, in 2013, I will be able to pick a replacement!
[Unlike my predecessor, who had to serve 5 years (2 were extras) before I was qualified.]

S&F

I have not seen any "requirements" for the SD...there might be but I have not seen it...Once you become a MM...there is no other "tickets or instructor" type things....the only requirement I know for the chairs is you have to have been either a SW or JW before being Wm...and the to be WM you need to get the PM degree

Bob Franks

I have not seen any "requirements" for the SD...there might be but I have not seen it...Once you become a MM...there is no other "tickets or instructor" type things....the only requirement I know for the chairs is you have to have been either a SW or JW before being Wm...and the to be WM you need to get the PM degree
Requirements in NC:
'Line' officers (excludes Sec, Treas, Chaplain, and Tyler) must have returned (or 'posted' as I seen said here) the MMD catechism.
The SD is really supposed to deliver the 2nd Degree Lecture, but rarely enforced.

All catechisms, openings, closings, degrees (excluding most prayers) and 2nd Degree lecture is required for Certified Instructor (Class B Certificate)
All above plus 1st and 3rd Degree Lectures for Certified Lecturer (Class A Certificate)

S&F

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I am the only Brother in my Lodge who knows and can deliver the Middle Chamber lecture and I am the first in my lodge since the 1950's to be able to learn it and put it on .

I tend to agree , many in our lodges start relying on a handful of brethren to deliver these lectures or put on degrees . Also a problem is some Brothers think they "own" these lectures and no one else should be delivering them . I would be more than happy to relinquish this lecture to a younger Brother and be there just to back him up .
I learned the MC lecture and delivered it several times when I was SD many years ago, I thought it was inconsiderate to invite a brother from Grand Island (about 80 miles away from us) to travel to give the MC lecture then travel 80 miles home after the degree (he was 72 years old at the time). I still am the only one in my lodge who knows the MC lecture, I also travel to many other lodges in my area to deliver the lecture.

Ashlar, I agree 100% with you, if a younger brother took the time to learn the MC lecture (or any of the other sections I currently do) I would be more than happy to be on the sidelines to prompt him if needed. I have asked many younger brothers if there is a lecture or a charge they would be willing to learn in order to be able to be a part of the degree work ....... so far no takers.:(

Our current WM has said time and again that the lodge needs to get brothers to learn lectures and new sections of the degrees because the ones that know the work will not be around forever. This has not happened, but he has picked up some of the slack by brushing up on the Q & A's in the degrees.

The old Nebraska monitors state that the Worshipful Master WILL deliver the funeral oration from memory for a brother. I am the only one in the lodge that has delivered that oration in the last 7 or so years. I guess the old adage "The Secretary will do it" is true, unfortunately I'm that guy:).

I am not against learning any lectures.... I have been asked to help in another capacity in the Lodge....our Sec takes pride in the Lecture he gives and is not ready to stop...he asked me to do some other things.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I am not against learning any lectures.... I have been asked to help in another capacity in the Lodge....our Sec takes pride in the Lecture he gives and is not ready to stop...he asked me to do some other things.

My apologies -- I do not wish to cause any ill-will with the brothers. As a good friend of mine stated once when he and I were going over the EA degree so he could learn it and do the degree from the East, "It might be easier for me(him) if you(I) got a hammer and beat it into his head". I seem to have an easier time learning lectures than others -- sometimes I forget that not everyone has that ability.

brother Custer....no offense taken....I didnt want anyone to think I was not interested....

Now that I have to add standing on my head and juggling bowling balls to the other list of tasks I am trying to complete there just isnt anywhere I can sneak a hour or two from when dividing my day equally....

Bob Franks

brother Custer....no offense taken....I didnt want anyone to think I was not interested....

Now that I have to add standing on my head and juggling bowling balls to the other list of tasks I am trying to complete there just isnt anywhere I can sneak a hour or two from when dividing my day equally....
As I've gotten more involved in ritual, and now become the DDGL, some members of my lodge are indignant that I am leaving the secretary's desk after only a year. I only took it this year because last year on election night no one else would.
The same brothers become even more indignant when I ask them why they can't be secretary!
It's a real 'Let George do it,' situation. They don't want the responsibility of any office, they don't want to learn a lecture, or even any short piece, and they won't come out for degree practice!
But they want to come to the lodge and see quality degree work.

[sigh]
S&F