3 books for a newbie

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Just my 2 cents but I dont think any EA or FC should be reading anything besides the catechism until they have been raised....BUT if you really want to read something try Freemasons for Dummies or the Complete Idiots Guid to Freemasonry....both are good books written for the non-mason as well as a mason...by two well respected Brother Masons
If I had it, I would be reading it.

Both are easily aquired from Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com...... If I was in WI, I would be more than glad to let you read my copies..... I made my comments because, I do not want you to ruin any part of the experiences going through the degrees...

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
That and "unlearning" a new candidate . I have had more than a few whom have came in thinking they have gotten a jump on it by reading books such as Lester's Look to the East and Duncan's Ritual and because that ritual is different than ours , we have to spend time pushing that aside and teaching them according to our Grand Lodge approved ritual .

G

Gary

Nothing wrong with the Dummies or Idiots guide. They provide good reading and basic education regarding Freemasonry, without filling your head with stuff that as Ashlar put it you'll have to "unlearn".

The point of not reading masonic texts is to avoid any discrepancies you may encounter as previously stated.

The Dummies guide is what I read while waiting for my initiation/catechism work. It helped, as I was fulfilling my desire to learn, without ruining anything either.

It was actually the book I bought before I petitioned. Bro. Hodapp helped me in my decision to take that step.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is why I do not like petitoners/candidates preparing for degrees by reading ahead . Ritual work , laws , rules , regulations , customs and traditions change from one jurisdiction to another and even from lodge to lodge in a jurisdiction .

I have sat in lodge in other states and even as a Master Mason I have been thrown off by the differences . I was once asked by a visiting WVa Mason to come and give a lecture to a candidate in the FC degree for his lodge , but because we are so different I had to decline . I do not know their work and some of what we do is not allowed in their lodges .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
After some thought I will add this . I do applaud those new to Freemasonry who do take it upon themselves to learn all they can about Freemasonry as it shows they are truely hungry for Light . One thing they need to remember , you have a lifetime to read and learn so take your time and don't rush it .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The Hiram Key is a wonderful book of fiction , but not a good book for the newbie .

Knight and Lomas make many errors in facts , make wild assumptions , their research is faulty and their bibliographies and citations are woefully absent of sources as to where they came to their conclusions . IMHO , The Hiram Key can not be taken seriously , more so for those new to the Craft .

After reading this book , I went to Amazon to read reviews of it and I found one that is perfect . Let me see if I can find it and I will post a link to it .

Winter

I've been here before
After reading this book , I went to Amazon to read reviews of it and I found one that is perfect . Let me see if I can find it and I will post a link to it .
As much as I hate Wikipedia, they have a good section about the controversy concerning the book:

The book contains a radical hypothesis regarding the origins of Freemasonry, seeking to demonstrate a heritage through the Knights Templar to the Jerusalem Church and Pharaoic Egypt, drawing on a wide range of material to support this hypothesis.

The work is subject to criticism from within the established body of masonic-research, based on:

Creeping assertion - caveats on statements are reduced as the statements are used as foundation for further development.
Lack of critical assessment of sources.
Use of symbolic ritual as a statement of historic fact.

Quatuor Coronati Lodge No 2067 the Premier Lodge of Masonic research under United Grand Lodge of England, has criticized the book as Pseudohistory, and some Masonic libraries categorise the volume as fiction.

Winter

I've been here before
I am also not a fan of Wikipedia .
I'm a Senior at the University of Wisconsin. (Majoring in Anthropology and Religious Studies) Wikipedia is a huge no-no. Although sometimes, if I am looking for more sources I will look to see what they have on Wiki to get some more books to use.