Addressing members

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I had an interesting conversation with a Brother. He seems to think it is rude for an new member to call someone higher then them by Brother. So an EA cannot call a FC or MM Brother, or a FC cannot call a MM Brother. This was interesting, and wondering how others feel about it.

Winter

I've been here before
Since all Brothers meet on the Level, and even the most newly obligated Brother is a Freemason (albeit and Apprentice Freemason) then the correct form of address is most absolutely "Brother." Some jurisdictions are sticklers for the proper address of PM's and PGM's using the address of "Worshipful" and "Right Worshipful", but that is a different matter.

Brother's who like to lord it over new EA's that they are a "higher" degree and thus are deserving of more respect are under a massive misapprehension of how our Fraternity operates.

We do not have "Probies", "Pledge's", "N00b's" or any such and any Brother who addresses a new Brother as such should be set to rights in a Brotherly manner ASAP. And a new Brother cand and should absolutely call all other Brothers by that form of address!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Since all Brothers meet on the Level, and even the most newly obligated Brother is a Freemason (albeit and Apprentice Freemason) then the correct form of address is most absolutely "Brother." Some jurisdictions are sticklers for the proper address of PM's and PGM's using the address of "Worshipful" and "Right Worshipful", but that is a different matter.

Brother's who like to lord it over new EA's that they are a "higher" degree and thus are deserving of more respect are under a massive misapprehension of how our Fraternity operates.

We do not have "Probies", "Pledge's", "N00b's" or any such and any Brother who addresses a new Brother as such should be set to rights in a Brotherly manner ASAP. And a new Brother cand and should absolutely call all other Brothers by that form of address!
SMIB.... and if that well put part isn't enough look at your ritual! He is a mister until the OB's then we have a Brother!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
That is BS. (IMHO)

As it has been stated several times here and elsewhere, we are BROTHERS, I was and do talk to any Freemason as an equal. I attended a table Lodge with 3 PGM of the PHA sitting at my table, our just PGM is and was Brother Joe.

If a Lodge tolerates that kind of behavior, they should have an attitude adjustment.

It is bad enough that most Lodges in the USA open in MM, so that EAs & FCs can't attend and that us/them wall is built. (Truth be known, my Lodge is full of 'old' guys who are comfortable with the MM ritual and don't know the others all at well).

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
SMIB.... and if that well put part isn't enough look at your ritual! He is a mister until the OB's then we have a Brother!
We call them "Friend" up until they are Obligated , then we switch to Brother .

Before the EA degree , the Master will state that we have "our friend John Doe awaiting in the anti-room......."

Winter

I've been here before
In the Wisconsin ritual all addresses to the candidate are in the form of "Mister A. B." until he is obligated then he is addressed as Brother.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Same in Massachusetts, He is Mister until the middle of the EA ritual, then he is Brother.

I make it a point to call each EA "Brother" when the lodge closes and we gather for fellowship after their initiation because I want them to feel as good about it as I did.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
That is BS. (IMHO)

As it has been stated several times here and elsewhere, we are BROTHERS, I was and do talk to any Freemason as an equal. I attended a table Lodge with 3 PGM of the PHA sitting at my table, our just PGM is and was Brother Joe.

If a Lodge tolerates that kind of behavior, they should have an attitude adjustment.

It is bad enough that most Lodges in the USA open in MM, so that EAs & FCs can't attend and that us/them wall is built. (Truth be known, my Lodge is full of 'old' guys who are comfortable with the MM ritual and don't know the others all at well).
Yeah, that changed here before I got in. Threw a bunch of guys for a loop because the MM opening and closing is shorter!

jonesvilletexas

MWSA Secretary
Look to the obligation and lectures! In Texas if you are and EA you are a Brother, In fact if he never completes his work he can study the rest of his life to complete it.

Is he less than a brother?

Mike35

Not much more to say I totally agree. I was so frustrated with this question that a Brother could think that way especially after all the education he has recieved in Masonry. I posted Jason's question in another forum to see what kind of responses it gets. certainly hope that Brother comes around.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip] I was so frustrated with this question that a Brother could think that way especially after all the education he has recieved in Masonry. [snip]
I agree with this!
There is so much that I hear about how a Lodge is run, how business should be conducted and who should stand in a Lodge that cannot be found in the Degrees, Obligations, and Lectures.
I wonder sometimes if candidates don't pay attention or just rely more on hearsay after their degrees.

S&F

FF Sparky

I was going to ask the same question today, but 'Brother Jason' beat me to the punch. I was initiated, passed and raised within 3 months(one degree a month) and then the Lodge was closed for summer, and it leaves me with so many questions like this. I had petitioned thru the internet, so I dont have a mentor or anything. there was two members I was able to talk with to go over the lectures for proficientcy, but now they are busy.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The only problem I have so far is with a candidate I'm sponsoring. He keeps calling me "Worshipful Sponsor". I keep telling him there's nothing worshipful about me and I just want to be his brother on the level.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The only problem I have so far is with a candidate I'm sponsoring. He keeps calling me "Worshipful Sponsor". I keep telling him there's nothing worshipful about me and I just want to be his brother on the level.
What is their spiritual backgound?

Winter

I've been here before
That is one thing I have noticed here in Florida about forms of address. The proper address for a Past Master is "Worshipful Brother" or "Worshipful". In Wisconsin this is rarely used except in written correspondence. Since coming to Florida I have noticed that there is a much more regular tendency to use the formal form of address for Brothers, i.e. "Worshipful", "Right Worshipful", etc., in casual conversation.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
That is one thing I have noticed here in Florida about forms of address. The proper address for a Past Master is "Worshipful Brother" or "Worshipful". In Wisconsin this is rarely used except in written correspondence. Since coming to Florida I have noticed that there is a much more regular tendency to use the formal form of address for Brothers, i.e. "Worshipful", "Right Worshipful", etc., in casual conversation.
Around Lodge the use of the formals, Worshipful, WB and so forth are encouraged but when it's time to leave and outside it's jusgt Bro.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I find it interesting all the formal greetings in other jurisdictions . In my area , the formal greeting for a Past Master is Brother . When they leave that chair they leave the honorary term "Worshipful" with it .

On that same note , I have noticed that many make statements such as "I am the Worshipful Master of my lodge" or "Back when I was Worshipful Master..." . Not only is that bad form in my jurisdiction , it is actually a violation of our Constitution for a Master to call himself "Worshipful" , or adding "Worshipful Master" or "WM" after his name in correspondences .