Addressing members

Winter

I've been here before
On that same note , I have noticed that many make statements such as "I am the Worshipful Master of my lodge" or "Back when I was Worshipful Master..." . Not only is that bad form in my jurisdiction , it is actually a violation of our Constitution for a Master to call himself "Worshipful" , or adding "Worshipful Master" or "WM" after his name in correspondences .
That's interesting. Can you provide a link to Kentucky's Constitution with that rule? I'm curious how that's worded.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Section 42 : The principal officer of the lodge is Master , not Worshipful Master . The prefix "Worshipful" is a title of respect , given to him by others , and not the name of the office . It is improper for the Master to sign his name "A.B. , Worshipful Master" . It should be "A. B. , Master " .

Though this section does not state that is improper for a Master to call himself "Worshipful" , this question was posed to a PGM during Q & A section of our leadership school a few years back . The GM stated that a Master will not use the term Worshipful in any form when addressing/introducing himself as Master .

Winter

I've been here before
Thanks for that. Very interesting. Anyone else out there have something similar in their jurisdiction? Mine doesn't.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Thanks for that. Very interesting. Anyone else out there have something similar in their jurisdiction? Mine doesn't.
Not a problem . I too am interested in what other jurisdictions say on this matter as I have always found it odd that Brothers called themselves "Worshipful" or "WM" when talking about the office the hold or in their forum signatures .

I realize "WM" is just shorthand for Master , but I have never felt comfortable doing that so I type Master out in full .

Winter

I've been here before
Not a problem . I too am interested in what other jurisdictions say on this matter as I have always found it odd that Brothers called themselves "Worshipful" or "WM" when talking about the office the hold or in their forum signatures .

I realize "WM" is just shorthand for Master , but I have never felt comfortable doing that so I type Master out in full .
I don't mind a bit of formality. Sometimes I think that our modern society takes too much of an informal approach to too many of our social interactions these days. My thoughts on the matter are that if Brothers use the address "Worshipful" since I am a Past Master then I will take it as it should be meant, a descriptive term indicating my dedication to the Craft, having served the Order as the Master of a Lodge of Freemasons. Never to mean that I believe I am better or higher than another Mason!

Look at it this way, if you had the opportunity to meet a former POTUS you would most likely address them as Mr. President, correct? Now, how much more important is a Brother Freemason? ;) LOL The term can be seen as merely a form of respect for service.

Either way, that is interesting that Kentucky has codified the forms of address for WM's and PM's. What does it say about Past Grand Lodge Officers? Does the same apply or are they just Brother as well?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
In Mass, it's just the opposite. We always address a man in lodge by his highest title. So Brother Donald Hicks is addressed as Most Worshipful Hicks as he is PGM of GLMA when he is in Lodge.

One of his favorite lines is: PGM stands for "Power Gone, Man". He's one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. :)

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
When we do roll call at inspection it is proper to address each of the highest ranking Brothers in the Lodge. So, "Good evening Most Worshipful, Right Worshipful and Worshipful Master..."

I haven't found anything coded and the only person I know who refused to be called by his title was a 33rd Degree SR Mason who told them in this Lodge he is a 3rd degree and if it pleased the WM he would be addressed as such! Love that guy, my top line signer!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I don't mind a bit of formality. Sometimes I think that our modern society takes too much of an informal approach to too many of our social interactions these days. My thoughts on the matter are that if Brothers use the address "Worshipful" since I am a Past Master then I will take it as it should be meant, a descriptive term indicating my dedication to the Craft, having served the Order as the Master of a Lodge of Freemasons. Never to mean that I believe I am better or higher than another Mason!

Look at it this way, if you had the opportunity to meet a former POTUS you would most likely address them as Mr. President, correct? Now, how much more important is a Brother Freemason? ;) LOL The term can be seen as merely a form of respect for service.

Either way, that is interesting that Kentucky has codified the forms of address for WM's and PM's. What does it say about Past Grand Lodge Officers? Does the same apply or are they just Brother as well?

I don't understand your post . I have never said anything against a bit of formality . We simply do not call our Past Masters "Worshipful" , but I have nothing against it , though I do not want to be called that as a Past Master .

What I am talking about is a Master calling himself "Worshipful" , as it is not part of the title , but a term of respect from the Craft . It would be like an officer in the military calling himself "Sir" . Or the POTUS Calling himself Mr. President .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Also , I will add that I dislike , as Master this year , at being called Worshipful outside of a tyled lodge . I prefer Brother or simply by my first name .

Winter

I've been here before
Ashlar, I wasn't saying anything negative at all. Sorry for the confusion. I was merely making observations about forms of address.

I routinely introduce Brothers with thier office appended, but I also fully understand the desire to use only the term Brother as well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar, I wasn't saying anything negative at all. Sorry for the confusion. I was merely making observations about forms of address.

I routinely introduce Brothers with thier office appended, but I also fully understand the desire to use only the term Brother as well.
OH , I didn't think you were saying anything negative , I just thought we may have had a lack of communication .

I was merely interested in how others such as Masters and Grand Lodge officers introduce themselves .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]
I haven't found anything coded and the only person I know who refused to be called by his title was a 33rd Degree SR Mason who told them in this Lodge he is a 3rd degree and if it pleased the WM he would be addressed as such! Love that guy, my top line signer!
Uh, that thirty-third thing is a Scottish Rite designation. It has no meaning in the Craft Lodge.

S&F

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Uh, that thirty-third thing is a Scottish Rite designation. It has no meaning in the Craft Lodge.

S&F
I know, but no one else seemed to mind calling him Illustrious, except him. As a 33rd he told me himself no one is anymore a Mason than a 3rd degree Mason and let noone tell me different. He then told me you could earn the title and when writing a PM could put PM at the end of his signature but again no talk about whether it is proper or not to call oneself Wor.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia

S&F
Come up here and tell that to some of the 33rds running around here . A few thinks they should get special recognition in lodge because they ...... , well I will not go into what I think about the 33rd degree .

Bob Franks

Come up here and tell that to some of the 33rds running around here . A few thinks they should get special recognition in lodge because they ...... , well I will not go into what I think about the 33rd degree .
Sounds like a tangle I'd like to get into!!

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sounds like a tangle I'd like to get into!!

S&F
The ones who actually deserved that honor of the 33rd degree for their WORK (and I stress WORK ) in Freemasonry & and the SR are the ones who are humble and expect no recognition . The others who received it because they .... , umm , let's just say they hand that thing out to just about anyone anymore .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The ones who actually deserved that honor of the 33rd degree for their WORK (and I stress WORK ) in Freemasonry & and the SR are the ones who are humble and expect no recognition . The others who received it because they .... , umm , let's just say they hand that thing out to just about anyone anymore .
I have one of THOSE 33rds in my circle , arrogant, wears the SR jacket everyday, diamond ring, belittled a man to his face for not working fast enough for him.

Bob Franks

I have one of THOSE 33rds in my circle , arrogant, wears the SR jacket everyday, diamond ring, belittled a man to his face for not working fast enough for him.
I heard once in my Lodge:
"He'd pick his nose, just so you could see how big his ring is!"

S&F