Aprons

thebrianmo

Well; my ceremonial apron is now in a protective bag to keep it spotless, white and pure until I wear it again in my death. (I know it's hard to be sarcastic in type form but I wish we got to wear these when visiting other Lodges or to Masonic Funerals or something. This is a legit Lambskin).

So I'm wondering how many of you have purchased yourself MM aprons and if you wear them when visiting or at other times?

G

Gary

I keep my lambskin apron put away. I bought a white leather apron for visiting other Lodges. However I don't wear that one in my Lodge at the moment, as I'm an Officer. One is provided.

interesting topic!
my lambskin apron is put away until that moment comes of which i'll wear it again when i pass on.
i have, however, never thought of buying my own apron for when i would visit another lodge. the thought has never crossed my mind since i'm relatively new to being a freemason (i was raised this last august of 2010).

thebrianmo

Every lodge I've visited has provided an apron.
I have found that to be the case in the Lodges I've been to and I don't doubt that will continue to be the case. I was just curious as to what others have done on their journey. I am a bigger guy and while I am shrinking, the one Lodge's Aprons were a tight fit, but at the same time, I don't want to embarrass myself by going against typical practices or customs.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As for members aprons , I have a plain white linen apron that I carry with me and I have a handmade MM apron that I use when visiting lodges when they are putting on degrees .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
To my knowledge, all lodges provide members and visiting brethren with aprons to be worn during meetings. I know that in my lodge, the available aprons located in a drawer outside the anteroom has aprons with varying length strings. My guess is if you happen upon on that is a little to short stringed, check a few others and my guess would be that you will find one that will be better suited. I've also set in lodge with some rather large individuals, and if the strings won't go around to the front, they tie them in the back then. Just food for thought.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think many of us carry our own aprons for a couple of reason . Both my aprons have belts and buckles , so no tie strings to fool with . And the second reason is that some lodges have had their members aprons for many years and they are old and yellowed and/or stained from years of use . I keep mine perfectly white .

Here is a picture of my dress "Master Mason" members apron ....

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Very Nice Ashlar. I have my Past Master's apron that is a personal apron. I do not take it to other lodges however, as it would not be polite to wear a PM apron if you are not a PM for that lodge. I also ask if it is OK to wear my PM jewel when visiting another lodge. Local lodges expect visiting brethren to wear lodge aprons unless you are from GL or District Deputy.

I really like the looks of your apron though Ashlar, very beautiful.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I always ask if I may wear one of my "special" aprons such as the one above . None have a problem with it . I save my "dress" aprons for degree work when I am visiting another lodge , More so if I will be delivering lectures from the sidelines such as the Middle Chamber lecture (as I am called on by many lodges in my area to do ) . Just looks more impressive .

Most of us save our Past Master Aprons for District meetings , degree work and our annual Grand Lodge Communications .

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
Personally, I have never had so much as a raised eyebrow wearing my lambskin apron at any meeting, anywhere. I see it as my grandfather (62 years a Mason) wore his until the navy blue trim was sky blue, and the white was grayed. It is mine to wear through an honorable life, as they say, and I'm going to wear it.

G

Gary

Personally, I have never had so much as a raised eyebrow wearing my lambskin apron at any meeting, anywhere. I see it as my grandfather (62 years a Mason) wore his until the navy blue trim was sky blue, and the white was grayed. It is mine to wear through an honorable life, as they say, and I'm going to wear it.
To each his own. I think the idea of putting away the lambskin is just more of a tradition than anything. No right or wrong there IMHO.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have worn mine , mostly to funerals .

Sorry to sound ignorant here, but are the aprons worn mostly in the USA plain white ones? Here in New Zealand (as I have posted in other threads) we have 3 distinct aprons for EA, FC and MM and also an apron for PMs. Once you have reached any of these offices then thats the apron you wear everywhere you go. So if you are a PM and you are at a lodge other than the one you were Master of, you would still wear your PM apron and Jewel.

G

Gary

In my jurisdiction there are PM aprons, and aprons for the District & GL that are worn. Most of the Blue Lodge aprons are all white except for the officers.

That said, many MM's can opt to get custom aprons to wear, although that's not common here in Florida. We don't have different aprons for each degree. It's the way the apron is worn that designates an EA, FC, or MM.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
In my jurisdiction there are PM aprons, and aprons for the District & GL that are worn. Most of the Blue Lodge aprons are all white except for the officers.

That said, many MM's can opt to get custom aprons to wear, although that's not common here in Florida. We don't have different aprons for each degree. It's the way the apron is worn that designates an EA, FC, or MM.
We'e given a plain white one when entered, then it's taken back until you're examined as a MM.That said we wear white cloth aprons provided by the Lodge to Lodge events. Officers are given leather aprons with blue trim with their station on it and a collar with jewel. The PM get passed down PM jewels and recieve and apron. Depending on the lodge it might say their year.

The white leather apron we recieve is more for special funtions and for your final internment.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I bought my own MM apron and wear it most of time (I forget to bring it occasionally), in my 'vast' experience (sarcasm) in Wisconsin most Brothers wear the Lodge's cloth aprons, makes it interesting when a large group go visiting...............

Winter

I've been here before
Sorry to sound ignorant here, but are the aprons worn mostly in the USA plain white ones? Here in New Zealand (as I have posted in other threads) we have 3 distinct aprons for EA, FC and MM and also an apron for PMs. Once you have reached any of these offices then thats the apron you wear everywhere you go. So if you are a PM and you are at a lodge other than the one you were Master of, you would still wear your PM apron and Jewel.
Very few jurisdictions or Lodges in the US use these style aprons. My Emulation Lodge is one of them. I like the look of our English style regalia.

That is me on the far right.

That's me in the front with the bowler.

The English Constitution regalia just looks so much better to me than the typical American regalia.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
In Massachusetts, we receive a white lambskin apron during the EA Ritual. That apron is worn four times, EA, FC and MM degree rituals and then it is worn for your entrance to the Celestial Lodge. Serving Officers wear an apron with the symbol of the office that belongs to the lodge. Brethren who are members of the lodge wear aprons that have blue borders while visitors wear white aprons during meetings. Past Masters, GL Officers, etc. are entitled to wear the apron of their highest office held. So a Past Grand Master can wear his Grand Master's apron to everything. My lodge's immediate past master can wear his PM apron everywhere. Officers may, of course, choose to wear the same apron as the brethren and many do.