Aprons

FF Sparky

Now some have posted that they have there own aprons for visiting other Lodges. I think I would feel ackward if I wore a nice fancy apron while the rest of the brothers are wearing the Lodge supplied linen ones. Just my thought.

Winter

I've been here before
Now some have posted that they have there own aprons for visiting other Lodges. I think I would feel ackward if I wore a nice fancy apron while the rest of the brothers are wearing the Lodge supplied linen ones. Just my thought.
I have several aprons I have purchased over the years. (I like shiny!) I am often in a unique apron as are many of the PM's in attendance. I assure it, it's the norm.

And why would you wear a linen apron anyway? I hate those things. A Masonic apron should be made of lambskin. Even our guest aprons are lambskin.

G

Gary

I have my own lambskin apron that was given to me after my MM catechism. I also have a leather one I bought to wear to other Lodges. It's plain white except for a satin white border.

I'd wear a custom apron despite what the other brothers wore. It's a conversation piece, and an expression of your personal path in Masonry. As long as there are no regulations in your jurisdiction prohibiting doing so, why not express your self?

The English Constitution regalia just looks so much better to me than the typical American regalia.
I must agree. As you can see by my avatar, the New Zealand constitution also uses the English regalia, which I love. I must admit, when I first saw 'American' regalia I appreciated our regalia more...that said, clothes don't maketh the man...or mason.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I wear the apron of my office when I am at my home lodge, when I am visiting another lodge (even at AC of Grand Lodge) I wear my PM apron.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I always ask if I may wear one of my "special" aprons such as the one above . None have a problem with it . I save my "dress" aprons for degree work when I am visiting another lodge , More so if I will be delivering lectures from the sidelines such as the Middle Chamber lecture (as I am called on by many lodges in my area to do ) . Just looks more impressive .

Most of us save our Past Master Aprons for District meetings , degree work and our annual Grand Lodge Communications .
I have a different take on dressing for degree work.
I wear a plain white (linen) apron, my own, over a dark suit as not to distract or intimidate the candidate when I deliver a lecture.
A lot of the lodge aprons are certainly worn and stained.

Sorry to sound ignorant here, but are the aprons worn mostly in the USA plain white ones? Here in New Zealand (as I have posted in other threads) we have 3 distinct aprons for EA, FC and MM and also an apron for PMs. Once you have reached any of these offices then thats the apron you wear everywhere you go. So if you are a PM and you are at a lodge other than the one you were Master of, you would still wear your PM apron and Jewel.
Brother NZ-I saw the different aprons when I attended Lodge in London. Masons there were upset when the WM closed the EA Lodge and went to the FC Degree, since I had packed a simple plain white linen apron in my bag. They assumed me an EA! I was not yet a PM, and the only apron I owned then was the one I'd been presented at Initiation.

We typically wear plain white aprons of linen owned by the lodge. PMs of ANY lodge may wear the more ornate aprons with the PM emblem, supplied by the lodge. If I am attending any lodge other than my own, I usually wear the District Deputy Grand Lecturer apron that the Grand Lodge has currently assigned me.
When EAs and FCs are in the lodge, they wear their aprons configured to their degree. This would probably not be the venue to describe them, or their origins.

Fixed. But FB changed how you can link to pics so I can't make them bigger. Jerks.

Here is the folder with some Masonic pics so you can see the regalia better.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458328599793.259924.604214793
I wanted to see the pictures larger, but FB said I didn't have permission...
Guess I should've held my secret decoder ring up to the camera. :D

S&F

FF Sparky

I would love to have my own apron, I may buy some or just one. I am usually the one that is the black sheep of anything and like to stand out...lol. But as a new Mason I think I will hold off wearing one to Lodge til I feel comfortable with any possible stares I may get..lol

Brother NZ-I saw the different aprons when I attended Lodge in London. Masons there were upset when the WM closed the EA Lodge and went to the FC Degree, since I had packed a simple plain white linen apron in my bag. They assumed me an EA! I was not yet a PM, and the only apron I owned then was the one I'd been presented at initiation.

S&F
I am not surprised by this, Brother. If you were to turn up to lodge here in New Zealand with a plain white apron you would be instructed to sit with the EAs in lodge and asked to leave if the lodge was raised to a superior degree. That said, a quick chat with the master before lodge and you would be ok...we would probably provide you with a MM apron to save confusion though. I love these little differences!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I am not surprised by this, Brother. If you were to turn up to lodge here in New Zealand with a plain white apron you would be instructed to sit with the EAs in lodge and asked to leave if the lodge was raised to a superior degree. That said, a quick chat with the master before lodge and you would be ok...we would probably provide you with a MM apron to save confusion though. I love these little differences!
I did correspond with the lodge secretary (through the Grand Secretary) before my trip, and conversed with the "DC" (Director of Ceremonies-we don't have that office) immediately before Lodge.
I, too, LOVE to visit other jurisdictions and see how the insignificant details differ, but the principles are the same! What's in a Mason's heart is vastly more important that what's on his apron!

S&F

Delaware Lodges

Like others, here in "The First State" we're given a lambskin apron when we're EAs but we don't get to keep it until we've gotten our MM Degree. We're given cloth aprons in the ante room to wear during regular lodge but there is no admonition prohibiting us from wearing our lambskin one at any particular time. Of course Officers, Past Masters and Grand Lodge of Award of Honor recipient have special aprons but otherwise the plain white linen ones are normally worn by everyone else.

Bro. Marc Houde

Cloth Aprons?

Ok, new here so no dis-respect but are you all saying you get a nice lamb skin apron and then put it away until you're dead and in the mean time use a linen cloth taken from a box for regular meetings?

Is that common practice in the US? In Canada...or at least in the province of Ontario, we are required to purchase a rather ornate lambskin apron ourselves and we wear it every single meeting.

And when we pass, it's common for the estate to donate the apron back to the lodge where it's displayed as an historical piece and badge of honor for a dearly departed brother.

You're initiated with a lambskin and given the speach about the importance of it and then you put it away forever? Makes no sense to me. It's a badge of honor and should be worn.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Ok, new here so no dis-respect but are you all saying you get a nice lamb skin apron and then put it away until you're dead and in the mean time use a linen cloth taken from a box for regular meetings?

Is that common practice in the US? In Canada...or at least in the province of Ontario, we are required to purchase a rather ornate lambskin apron ourselves and we wear it every single meeting.

And when we pass, it's common for the estate to donate the apron back to the lodge where it's displayed as an historical piece and badge of honor for a dearly departed brother.

You're initiated with a lambskin and given the speach about the importance of it and then you put it away forever? Makes no sense to me. It's a badge of honor and should be worn.
It's a matter of preference. I was given a Lambskin Apron, but I purchased one for use in my Lodge and when I travel. I could wear the one given to me if I choose to, but it's got my I-P-R dates on the flap along with signatures and such. I don't want to wear it out by using it. Besides, when I pass, I want a nice clean lambskin apron to wear at my funeral.

A cloth apron is not appealing to me, so that's why I bought my own apron to wear. When I pass, I don't want my apron on display unless my wife chooses to keep it. Memory of me by my brethren will be of what I've done with my Masonry, and how it contributed to the fraternity not of a piece of lambskin I wore. I guess it's an American thing. Every country has their quirks.

Bro Marc...... yes it is generally an American tradition.....neat/cool/od the way traditions and rituals vary from place to place.

*** On a side note, for those that dont recognize you from another forum, how about a little introduction in the initiation section *****

goomba

I am going to buy an apron from Red Tower Regalia to wear after I get raised. The think I am wondering is I want to get it customized, a service they do offer. Would it be inappropriate to replace the all seeing eye with something else? I have three thoughts about what I would like to replace it with. The first is the letter G. My wife however told me having two G's on that apron (on in the S&C) is odd, the second is having a cross sewn on since I am a Christian I would like that however I don't want to appear to be pushing my religion while in lodge this would strictly be because it's my personal faith, and lastly the outline of my state just think that would be cool.

These are my thoughts any input would be great. Thank you gentlemen.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I am going to buy an apron from Red Tower Regalia to wear after I get raised. The think I am wondering is I want to get it customized, a service they do offer. Would it be inappropriate to replace the all seeing eye with something else? I have three thoughts about what I would like to replace it with. The first is the letter G. My wife however told me having two G's on that apron (on in the S&C) is odd, the second is having a cross sewn on since I am a Christian I would like that however I don't want to appear to be pushing my religion while in lodge this would strictly be because it's my personal faith, and lastly the outline of my state just think that would be cool.

These are my thoughts any input would be great. Thank you gentlemen.
Goomba, there are as many opinions on this subject as there are Masons. The safest thing is to follow your own heart (and check with your Grand Lodge to be sure that they have no particular rules regarding this). That being said, perhaps there are some things that a young Mason might keep in mind while trying to make this choice:

The All-Seeing Eye is not 'just a symbol'. It is emblematic of "the Fatherhood of God". And as we're an organization that promotes "the brotherhood of man under the fatherhood of God" ... well, you get the picture. If you, however, do not want that symbol there, for whatever set of reasons, then TAKE IT OFF!

The cross, as an emblem of Christianity, is probably NOT appropriate for a Blue Lodge level Masonic apron. As the Craft does not promote any particular faith, neither (I think) should you, as a Mason. This, however, is my personal opinion and does not reflect ... well, it doesn't reflect much of anything.

Before you get the outline of your State done on the apron, check with your Grand Lodge. Some may reserve that image for Grand Officers. If you're going to spend the buckage to get a personalized apron made, you'll want one that you can wear without getting a lot of flak about, yes?

goomba

I do plan on checking with my lodge and GL. I am looking for a general thought from the members here. Thanks Patrick.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Goomba, there are as many opinions on this subject as there are Masons. The safest thing is to follow your own heart (and check with your Grand Lodge to be sure that they have no particular rules regarding this). That being said, perhaps there are some things that a young Mason might keep in mind while trying to make this choice:

The All-Seeing Eye is not 'just a symbol'. It is emblematic of "the Fatherhood of God". And as we're an organization that promotes "the brotherhood of man under the fatherhood of God" ... well, you get the picture. If you, however, do not want that symbol there, for whatever set of reasons, then TAKE IT OFF!

The cross, as an emblem of Christianity, is probably NOT appropriate for a Blue Lodge level Masonic apron. As the Craft does not promote any particular faith, neither (I think) should you, as a Mason. This, however, is my personal opinion and does not reflect ... well, it doesn't reflect much of anything.

Before you get the outline of your State done on the apron, check with your Grand Lodge. Some may reserve that image for Grand Officers. If you're going to spend the buckage to get a personalized apron made, you'll want one that you can wear without getting a lot of flak about, yes?
All good points Bro. Patrick. As reflects, be sure to wear a hat out in the sun :1-pray: