Are you a Lewis???

I just recently found out what a "Lewis" is..... since my Father demitted back in 1973 (he has no problems with the Craft, it was a hard time for our family and he never went back....I am working on getting him back in)...I am sure I am not considered one...

Are you a "Lewis"???

A "Lewis" is a Mason who is the son of a Mason..... Yes you can come back as long as you have paid up your dues and have no bad issues as to why you left....

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Not me. My maternal grandfather was a mason, but father is not. I doubt he would ever consider it. He is not what you would call a joiner.

Winter

I've been here before
The English word Lewis is a term belonging to operative Masonry, and signifies an iron cramp, which is inserted in a cavity prepared for the purpose in a large stone, so as to give attachment to a pulley and hook, whereby the stone may be conveniently raised to any height, and deposited in its proper position. In this country the lewis has not been adopted as a symbol in Freemasonry, but in the English ritual it is found among the emblems placed upon the tracing board of the Entered Apprentice, and is used in that degree as a symbol of strength, because, by its assistance, the operative Mason is enabled to lift the heaviest stones with a comparatively trifling exertion of physical power. Extending the symbolic allusion still further, the son of a Mason is in England called a Lewis, because it is his duty to support the sinking powers and aid the failing strength of his father, or, as Oliver has expressed it, "to bear the burden and heat of the day, that his parents may rest in their old age, thus rendering the evening of their lives peaceful and happy."

By the Constitutions of England, a lewis or son of a Mason may be initiated at the age of eighteen, while it is required of all other candidates that they shall have arrived at the maturer age of twenty-one.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
AN ADDITION TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Does your GL issue a "Lewis Jewel"?
MA does issue a Lewis jewel. A few years ago a lodge a few towns over were raising a father and son at the same time. They raised the father first so that he could then assist in raising the son. It was very, very cool.

Psi Brr

Veritas vos liberabit
I'm am a Lewis, as is my father. My granddad was also raised in a Masonic orphanage in Kentucky.