Are You The First Mason In Your Family?

Winter

I've been here before
As far as I know, I am the only one in my family. Lots of military, but i'm the only Brudah!

HarrisonK

My grandfather is a mason but my father is not and I am going to petition soon. Its funny how masonry sometimes skips oneif not several generations.

No prior masons on my side of the family. In fact a lot of strong Catholics with a lot of misunderstandings about masonry. While my dad knows I'm a mason and says he's ok with it, we do not discuss it. I was brought into the craft from my wifes side. Father in law is a 50+ year member. I really knew nothing about masonry until a couple of months before I joined. I was kind of new to town, looking for a way to meet people, and mentioned to my girlfriend, now my wife, that I might look at joining the Elks or Eagles. She said no way, and that I needed to ask her dad about freemasonry. The rest is history.

yn1scott

Jason -

I think Im in the same situation as you. Im the first as far as I know, but Im sure someone on both my mother and fathers sides of the family was one (is one). Its just hard for me to believe that Im the only one.

berthemp

My pops said that his grandfather was a Mason and says he has his ring somewhere in a safety deposit box. We will wait and see. But as of now, I know that I am the only CONFIRMED Mason in our family.

Britt3772

I am

I am the first in my Family that i know of. My next door neighbor is my top line signer on my petition. he is also my mentor.:)

CoachN

Builder Builder
As far as I know, I'm the first Masonic seed to sprout in my family. I have two posible Lewis candidates that may follow. I'm making every effort to forge a welcome and warm path for each of them.

iMav

-==-
I am the first in my family (neither my mother nor father know of any Masons in their families). My wife had one grandfather who was a Mason. This made my daughter happy as this allowed her to join Job's Daughters without having to wait for me to become a MM (just recently received my FC degree). ;)

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I am the first in my family (neither my mother nor father know of any Masons in their families). My wife had one grandfather who was a Mason. This made my daughter happy as this allowed her to join Job's Daughters without having to wait for me to become a MM (just recently received my FC degree). ;)
You never know. If your family roots in the USA go back to the mid-to-late 1800's, it's quite possible that you did have Freemasons in your family. I read somewhere that at this time more than 80% of congress at this time were Masons, and if that's any reflection on the population at large ... Anyhow, it's very difficult to establish. In many cases the old records are either missing or are so badly kept that it's next to impossible to do any research in them.

rbryantr

It's especially hard in Vermont, where at the time of the "Morgan Affair" many Vermont lodges closed their doors and the brothers disappeared from the active roles. Many records were lost at that time as well, since many didn't want their association with the Masons to be known.

rbryantr

Also, I am NOT the first in my family. Allthough my father never joined, my Grandfather and a couple of Great-grandfathers and great-uncles were all Masons. One onf my Great uncles was the Grand Secretary of New York for a number of years.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I'm a Masonic orphan. My grandmother's second husband briefly was a Mason, before his death, and his presentation Bible was the first place I saw a Masonic symbol and asked questions about it. I was about 10 years old.
A couple of years ago, I was looking at the gravestones at the cemetery back in Indiana and saw the S&C on an uncle's headstone. He'd been distant from Mom and I rarely saw him.
I doubt my son will follow me. I asked him if he had ever considered it, and he said, "You have to believe in God to join, don't you?"

bob franks, PM, CL

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I doubt my son will follow me. I asked him if he had ever considered it, and he said, "You have to believe in God to join, don't you?"

bob franks, PM, CL
Bob, my son asked me the same question, needless to say I was floored by it and mumbled some answer.
Years later, a week before I left to travel to his basic training graduation, he called me and told me to bring a petition for him to fill out and sign. Sometimes they will change their minds about God.

Charles Chunn

Often times you hear from other members that their Father or Uncle was a Mason. This isn't true in my case. As far as I know I'm the only one in many, many years to be a Mason. My mom thinks we may have one back in the 1800's, but we cannot 100% prove he is related to us.

So I'm just wondering how many firsts we have.
I am the first mason in my family that I am aware of. I am joyful in becoming a Mason. It is with great anticipation I look forward to yyears of groth, and teaching. May the Lord guide us in all our acts.
Charles Chunn

wimberlyt

My granddad was a 33rd Scottish Rite Mason. Well, technically, he was only my granddad by marriage, but he was the only one I knew. As for my blood family, as far as I know I am the first.