Ate up with Freemasonry a bad thing ?

G

Gary

As fun as this discussion has been, I wanted to interject my own experience with the term "ate up".

It is most often used in the military and law enforcement to describe someone who is not meeting standards and is generally considered a [censored]up. "Soldier! Why is your Kevlar on backwards? You are all ate up!"

Other similar terms are a soup sandwich (not soup but another word that starts with s)
Oh, you mean Ship High In Transit. S.H.I.T. is not a derogatory term. It's been bastardized over the years. It's an old Naval term. It's where "get your S.H.I.T. together" comes from.

G

Gary

I thought it stood for Special High Intensity Training.
Um...no. :p

It comes from the need to store cargo in ships. Since the bulkheads of tall ships would take on water, cargo was stored above the water level to avoid damage. hence the term Ship High In Transit. Crates were actually stamped with the acronym so sailors would know where to put them.

Winter

I've been here before
Note: Admins, please forgive the use of the term in this post since it is only used here to detail the history and usage of the word.

Shit: Etymology: The word is likely derived from Old English, having the nouns scite (dung, attested only in place names) and scitte (diarrhoea), and the verb scītan (to defecate, attested only in bescītan, to cover with excrement); eventually it morphed into Middle English schītte (excrement), schyt (diarrhoea) and shiten (to defecate), and it is virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid-. The word has several cognates in modern Germanic languages, such as German Scheiße, Dutch schijt, Swedish skit, Icelandic skítur, Norwegian skitt etc. Ancient Greek had 'skor' (gen. 'skatos' hence 'scato-'), from Proto-Indo-European *sker-, which is likely unrelated.

False etymology: A popular belief is that the word shit originated as an acronym for "Ship High In Transit", referring to the apparent need to stow manure well above the water line when transporting it by ship. This has been shown to be a myth.

Sources:

Harper, Douglas. "shit". Online Etymology Dictionary. Online Etymology Dictionary

"Shit is not an acronym". Online Etymology Dictionary. "shit" is not an acronym

Mikkelson, Barbara (8 July 2007). "Etymology of Shit". Snopes. snopes.com: Etymology of Shit

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I would say it is a good bet that most of us on here are "ate up" with Freemasonry or we would not be on here . Some attend lodge regularly , but as soon as they walk out the front door , they do not give Freemasonry a second thought . Just attending lodge once or twice a month is not enough for us , we seek out other Brothers to converse with outside of lodge .

CoachN

Builder Builder
Sorry Gary! LOL My training in linguistic anthropology makes me always interested where words and phrases originated. :)
I am but an amature, having not your training, and can truly appreciate a true professional. ;)

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I dont think spending hours and hours on the internet reading masonic info and participating in Masonic forums plus appendant bodies, lodge meetings and traveling ..."Ate Up"......but then again, I could just be in denial....
I am NOT 'ate up with Masonry,' I can quit any time I want to...just not yet.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Note: Admins, please forgive the use of the term in this post since it is only used here to detail the history and usage of the word.

Shit: Etymology: The word is likely derived from Old English, having the nouns scite (dung, attested only in place names) and scitte (diarrhoea), and the verb scītan (to defecate, attested only in bescītan, to cover with excrement); eventually it morphed into Middle English schītte (excrement), schyt (diarrhoea) and shiten (to defecate), and it is virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid-. The word has several cognates in modern Germanic languages, such as German Scheiße, Dutch schijt, Swedish skit, Icelandic skítur, Norwegian skitt etc. Ancient Greek had 'skor' (gen. 'skatos' hence 'scato-'), from Proto-Indo-European *sker-, which is likely unrelated.

False etymology: A popular belief is that the word shit originated as an acronym for "Ship High In Transit", referring to the apparent need to stow manure well above the water line when transporting it by ship. This has been shown to be a myth.

Sources:

Harper, Douglas. "shit". Online Etymology Dictionary. Online Etymology Dictionary

"Shit is not an acronym". Online Etymology Dictionary. "shit" is not an acronym

Mikkelson, Barbara (8 July 2007). "Etymology of Shit". Snopes. snopes.com: Etymology of Shit
This thread obviously did not have the ON TOPIC ico...............SQUIRREL!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It is a Free for all thread . Such as the nature of conversation it has went down another path . Still educational and that is all that matters .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
It is a Free for all thread . Such as the nature of conversation it has went down another path . Still educational and that is all that matters .
Light comes in many forms.

For instance, in the 1200s, a divine wind did destroy Kubal Khan's Japan invasion fleet, 70,000 dead. What is the Japanese word for that wind?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Light comes in many forms.

For instance, in the 1200s, a divine wind did destroy Kubal Khan's Japan invasion fleet, 70,000 dead. What is the Japanese word for that wind?
Phiing - meaning "That which comes forth from great chili." :D

Winter

I've been here before
To get back on topic, how many here all ate up with Freemasonry so much that they have a Masonic tattoo? (Like me)