Civil War Masons

Winter

I've been here before
Freemasonry is one of the oldest existing fraternities in the world, with origin theories dating them back as far as 3000 years B.C.. The first known printed mention of Freemasonry dates back 1390 A.D. with the Halliwell or Regis poem. Masonry in its present form, Speculative Masonry, dates back to the Grand Lodge of the world in 1717 A.D. in London, England. It is a secret society that has no secrets, that does not hide its buildings, disguise its emblems, nor does it trumpet its acts of charity and service.

The rites of Freemasonry are steeped in the basics of geometry and faith, the concept of both of which caused great social change as new ideas for structures, including concepts of the structure of the universe, arose, as well as also great social distress as the concepts of spirituality were challenged during the European Renaissance.

The goal of a Mason is to be a better man and to make his community a better place. Men raised in Masonry must guard the moral character, protect the weak, and help the helpless. It makes sense, then, that a society that is able to make moral character and charity consistently rewarding has survived and drawn so many to it.

Masonry has been present in America since it's foundation. Central figures, such as George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and John Hancock and were Freemasons. During the Civil War, Freemasons fought for both sides, Union General George B. <SNIP>
This is a complete cut and paste from a Civil War reenactor web site.

http://www.berdansharpshooters.org/masonic.html

I have to tell you, as a new member and your first post to be just a cut and paste with no explanation or citation it does not look good for you. Please go to the introduction thread and introduce yourself or I will conclude that you are just another spammer here and treat you accordingly.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
This is a complete cut and paste from a Civil War reenactor web site.

http://www.berdansharpshooters.org/masonic.html

I have to tell you, as a new member and your first post to be just a cut and paste with no explanation or citation it does not look good for you. Please go to the introduction thread and introduce yourself or I will conclude that you are just another spammer here and treat you accordingly.
Was just another spammer.

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
As a Civil War buff, this just makes me all kinds of happy.

I'll bet that lodge pictured above has no problems with a starry ceiling. :)