Civil War Masons

Winter

I've been here before
At the Reclaiming our Heritage event today I had a great opportunity to talk with Civil War historians and ask them about Masonic emblems on uniforms.

Apparently, Masons ABSOLUTELY wore the S&C on their uniforms in several places from hats to jackets. I was told it was one of those things that was able to be worn pretty much where you pleased if you were a Mason. I even found one of the sutlers at the event that carried several different styles for North or South. I may or may not have bought several.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

G

Gary

Interesting. I've heard of pins and being worn, but I didn't know they had patches back then. I've never seen a vendor sell them at the reenactment events I've been to here.

I probably would have bought some too.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I really like those patches .

I figured they wore the S & C on their uniforms . I guess I can get something correct every once in a blue moon .

Winter

I've been here before
I didn't get any pics, but they also had the stamped metal (tin?) pins as well which would have been much more common. The hand sewn bullion ones would have been only for those who could afford them. i.e. officers and enlisted from well-off families.

G

Gary

It would be neat to have some of those. In doing some genealogical research, I have found I have a ggg Grandfather from Arkansas who was constricted into the Confederate army when the north and south divided.

I know a good Brother from SC that is very knowledgeable about masonic activity and the Civil War....I will try to get some info from him....

DavisB

I didn't get any pics, but they also had the stamped metal (tin?) pins as well which would have been much more common. The hand sewn bullion ones would have been only for those who could afford them. i.e. officers and enlisted from well-off families.
I believe we have one of these from the Civil War in my lodge. I am not positive but I believe I remember seeing it in the room where all of the historical artifacts are kept. I was told it was handmade by a brother from our lodge during the war, and was donated afterwards.

Winter

I've been here before
Some more digging, just because I'm interested now, turned up a page dealing with the authenticity of certain uniform items for reenactors. Particularly the 14th Brooklyn.

MASONIC BADGES
Save 'em for Lodge night . . . at least those bullion badges the sutler's sell. If you are a Mason, I believe you NEED to read House Undivided which is a history of Freemasonry during the Civil War. No where in this book will you read about Masons in the War, Union or Confederate wearing those bullion badges such as you find on sutler's row. In this book you will read about men wearing small jewelers pins with the Masonic insignia or a watch fob with the same. There is even one gent with the Masonic insignia tatooed on his arm. However, to mention it once again, no where in the book do you read about men wearing those bullion badges, large or small that the sutlers are selling today! Uniquely, it is mentioned in the book that the wearing of the insignia outwardly in public was frowned upon by the head lodge during this era!
Here is the page it was on: Page4

G

Gary

Looking at the Canteen covers, there is a distinct difference in the way it was embroidered. Can you see it? I wonder if the vendor knows that...

Joseph Miechle

Hello brothers,

I have some information to add to this discussion I recently came accross.
There is a book called, "This Republic of Suffering" by Drew Faust. (Very good book I might add.) On page 120 of my paperback edition there is an illistration from "Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper" from September 10, 1864. This picture is an advertisement for headquarters and corps badges. There is also one very small Masonic pin offered for sale ($2 in 1864 what a deal!) Leslies Illustrated was a very well circulated publication of the time and as such we may assume that many of our brothers in the civil war could have purchased this pin and worn it on their uniforms for identification (Why they did so is the basis of the book and best saved for another post). As a matter of fact it looks like the pin being worn on the coat of the Union officers on the cover of Halleran's book "The Better Angels of Our Nature: Freemasonry in the American Civil War". Halleran's book is well researched and contains more that just the "stories and legends" we often come accross in the Fraternity. Hope this helps some.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
My library has This Republic of Suffering", put it on reserve, added Better Angels to my Half.com wish list, thanks for the info

K

krisjenner

Freemasonry is one of the oldest existing fraternities in the world, with origin theories dating them back as far as 3000 years B.C.. The first known printed mention of Freemasonry dates back 1390 A.D. with the Halliwell or Regis poem. Masonry in its present form, Speculative Masonry, dates back to the Grand Lodge of the world in 1717 A.D. in London, England. It is a secret society that has no secrets, that does not hide its buildings, disguise its emblems, nor does it trumpet its acts of charity and service.

The rites of Freemasonry are steeped in the basics of geometry and faith, the concept of both of which caused great social change as new ideas for structures, including concepts of the structure of the universe, arose, as well as also great social distress as the concepts of spirituality were challenged during the European Renaissance.

The goal of a Mason is to be a better man and to make his community a better place. Men raised in Masonry must guard the moral character, protect the weak, and help the helpless. It makes sense, then, that a society that is able to make moral character and charity consistently rewarding has survived and drawn so many to it.

Masonry has been present in America since it's foundation. Central figures, such as George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and John Hancock and were Freemasons. During the Civil War, Freemasons fought for both sides, Union General George B. MacClellan was a Mason, as was Confederate Brigadier General Lewis Addison Armistead, and Union Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, Captain Henry Bingham, General Winfield Scott, Confederate General Beauregard, Major General Henry Heth, Brigadier General George E. Pickett... The list goes on.

During the Civil War, Masons formed military lodges within their regiments. Some 94 Union and 150 Confederate military lodges are known to have existed. These military lodges allowed the men who shared Lodge at home to continue their traditions, and also to induct an unknown number of the comrads in arms.

This sense of brotherhood trancended the battlefield, the war and the disagreements of politics that made the Civil War possible. There are numerous accounts of Masons coming to each others aid during the war, regardless which side they fought for. Calling upon your Masonic Brother was more significant than any call of battle.

Today's Freemason Civil War reenactors keep those memories alive. Several recently published articles about Masonry in the civil war, along with the major motion picture, National Treasure has brought masonry to a more prominent place in the minds of Americans, and reenactors. Masons are seeking to create reenacting lodges, to recreate the battlefield lodges of the civil war, and to persue Masonic tradition at its best.

Masonic men, men of strong moral character, of compassion and endurance, are needed both to keep Freemasonry alive, but also because those are the men who are called upon to lead.